How much do we miss Prust?

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
as others have said i miss the 10-11 prust not so much prust from last year, and certainly not for the price Montreal paid for him, if we had cap space to waste and werent in a position to contend sure i would have paid him to keep him around, but at this point every little amount of cap space matters for this team.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
as others have said i miss the 10-11 prust not so much prust from last year, and certainly not for the price Montreal paid for him, if we had cap space to waste and werent in a position to contend sure i would have paid him to keep him around, but at this point every little amount of cap space matters for this team.

Habs fan come in peace. At first, I was upset with the Habs for signing Prust at 2.5M cap hit. But after seeing him play this year, our fanbase really think it's worth it. Prust has been awesome for us.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I really think he's one of those intangible players. He just brings something

That's the best way I could explain it. He brings that something that Avery had that brought a personality and an identity to the team.

His contract could obviously not be matched, but this team right now would be more like last years if we had him in the lineup. We are missing a guy like him greatly.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
How much do we miss Prust?

More than anyone on this board is willing to admit. :laugh:

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Prust is missed. He was an important guy on the team.
But we also lost, Anisimov, Dubi, Feds and Mitchell.
That's a lot of of what made the team what it was.
Prust was a fighter but also an excellent PK er with Boyle.
Watch him run over Boyle, his best friend on the team, tomorrow.
I think he will be seeking Asham to make a point.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
We improved our roster by replacing Prust with Halpern, IMO. So, in terms of on ice play, I think we ended up more than fine

That said, we definitely miss his enthusiasm and tougness. The team could use some more enthusiasm.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
Habs fan come in peace. At first, I was upset with the Habs for signing Prust at 2.5M cap hit. But after seeing him play this year, our fanbase really think it's worth it. Prust has been awesome for us.

The main problem with Prust was that he was fearless and a workaholic to the point of it being detrimental. I'm genuinely happy he's been worth it for you guys so far because he's a good guy who busts his ass and doesn't get the league-wide recognition he deserves... but let's see how you guys feel about him in the middle of an 82 game season when he's playing on one leg or with a banged up shoulder. Unfortunately, guys like Prust generally have a short shelf-life.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Prust ($2,5M), Mitchell ($1,1M), Fedotenko ($1,75M) & Rupp ($1,5)
Total hit = $6,850

vs

Asham ($1M), Halpern ($0,7M), Pyatt ($1,55M) & Powe (~$1,1M)

Total hit = $4,316

Saves over $2,5 M in cap space

But are the players better?

Prust > Asham
Mitchell = Halpern
Fedotenko < Pyatt
Rupp < Powe

Pretty close IMO
Nash has been good - but not on the scoresheet for what he is paid

Most of the other key roster players have just not lived up to reasonable expectations
YET
Therein lies the problem

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I said it when he left, the team misses a player LIKE Prust. I loved him while he was here and am happy he got a good contract in Montreal. Heart and Soul player. I believe the Rangers will be looking for his replacement for a couple of years.

Players like him may seem easy to replace, they aren't.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Miss him. Guy is like a less offensively talented Callahan.. all heart and soul. Would jump in front of any shot at any time.

In Prust we trust :cry:

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Powe has helped ease the loss, but with him being out, Prust's PK ability is what is missed most. Having 4th liners that can PK is important. In the modern NHL, you need guys like that.

Prust is being replaced by 2 guys currently, Asham and Powe. That is big. And the cost is about the same. I think Prust fit in perfectly, but I cannot blame him for taking a bigger payday. He knows his role and how quickly it will fade from him. Take the money and set yourself up for the rest of your life. Anyone here would take 2 million more over 4 years. He was on a chap deal with us here and his Window in the NHL will be up soon IMO.

Apr 10, 2012
love the guy, loved the guy. too much money. glad he's doing well in montreal. he's been a difference maker for them and he seems to be happy there. def still respect the guy. i'd never pass up the payday he got and i wouldn't expect him to either.

scored against carolina... just warming up for the hatty against hanky? ;)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There was some chemistry between Boyle and Prust and Boyle for the most part this year has played pretty poorly. So I'd say Boyle misses Prust. The production numbers of our bottom two lines this year have been all but non existent. Prust's number fell off last year from the previous year to that but he and his linemates were still producing something. Prust always took care of business when it came to defending his teammates--this team is less tough for not having him.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
He's missed, for sure.

When I thought of the Rangers and the identity they've created, I thought of Henrik, Callahan, and Prust...in that order. He moved on for more money, and no one can blame him. But he was huge in making us the team we were and are now.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
During those lifeless slow starting games I wished they still had Prust to come off the bench and buzz around the ice. Asham, aka Prust-Methadone, just doesn't cut it. Prust's speed and the sense that he liked to fight brings something to the game, few players do. I miss Prust. He's one of those guys who will be back in NY again some day.

Greg NYR

Aug 19, 2007
feds and prust made this team a lot tougher to play against and in a game like sunday vs the caps, they wore guys out towards the end of games and helped hang on to a lot of those one goal leads, from a salary standpoint it makes sense theyre not here, but guys like asham and halpern are much easier to play against

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
During those lifeless slow starting games I wished they still had Prust to come off the bench and buzz around the ice. Asham, aka Prust-Methadone, just doesn't cut it. Prust's speed and the sense that he liked to fight brings something to the game, few players do. I miss Prust. He's one of those guys who will be back in NY again some day.

That's a great way of putting it. Ash is trying, but he's no Prust, that's for sure.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
2010-11 Prust was irreplaceable. 2012 Prust is someone who you want on your team, but not for 2.5 mil. Still sucks not seeing him in Blue, though.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
I liked his spirit, but he's not that talented. 4 points in 15 games this season? meh not worth the cap hit.

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
As someone who was going to buy a Prust jersey if they had kept him beyond last season, I sure as hell miss watching him, and of course he's the type of player that every team wants and needs. I think prior to Powe's arrival this team missed him a lot more in the bottom six and on the PK, but as we saw, it was a hole that was filled with a simple trade of a useless player like Rupp.

One thing I don't miss about Prust is the anxiety I felt for him, particularly late in the season when he'd be dealing with various ailments and still never slowed down. As TheRightWay said, guys like Prust, who play balls to the wall at all times despite being smaller than almost everyone on the ice, have a very short shelf life. Even Torts would talk about how he felt he had to rein Prust in at times for his own good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad