How much do we miss Prust?

*Bob Richards*

Is this NHL 07 where you can just change a players role? Since when is Stamkos a Power forward? Graves the best at scoring garbage goals? Keith Tkachuk? Phil Esposito?

So many questions....

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Oh, please... Keep that sarcasm of yours to yourself. Nash, Neal, Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin are PFs. They make goals to happen for themselves. Callahan, like Prust is a garbage picker (with excellent backhand). Still Adam Graves (best in the business of garbage goals by a role player)is unreachable for him.
The only way for Sather to keep Prust was to change his role. He might have asked Torts about it, but torts prob said he can make Prust out of anyone. I wouldn't argue, he might.
Stamkos is a power forward? Since when? Have you seen him play just once? Lucic is a power forward. Him and Stamkos can't be anymore different. Crosby and Malkin are playmakers. You know what those are, right? Both just happen to have great shots. James Neal is a sniper. Stamkos is a sniper who can make some nice passes. Although you're probably not the best at assessing player talent. After all, Prince Chad>Lundqvist.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
Wasn't Callahan second on the team in goals last year? Does that mean that everyone except for the leading goal scorer is a role player? Give me a break.
Read above scoring and role are not related. Not directly anyway. Here's very loosely the roles that every team has to have on the roster to be complete ( from bottom up):

Fighter
Utility player
Role player
Stay-at-home Dman
Puck moving D
Defensive C
Sniper
Power forward

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
Stamkos is a power forward? Since when? Have you seen him play just once? Lucic is a power forward. Him and Stamkos can't be anymore different. Crosby and Malkin are playmakers. You know what those are, right? Both just happen to have great shots. James Neal is a sniper. Stamkos is a sniper who can make some nice passes. Although you're probably not the best at assessing player talent. After all, Prince Chad>Lundqvist.
He-he, you are correct, but it is away from the point, none of them is a role player. Stamkos is as huge as Neal or Lucic. Prust is no small either, while Calli is.

I don't believe Play Maker is a role, to me it is a core responsibility of a centre. But I won't fight it.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
He-he, you are correct, but it is away from the point, none of them is a role player. Stamkos is as huge as Neal or Lucic. Prust is no small either, while Calli is.

Being big does not make a power forward. At all. Stamkos is 6 foot 1, or average in the NHL. Brandon Prust is 1 inch taller than Callahan. Does this mean that we should keep all players of height above 6 feet? Callahan is not a role player. Role players are not out there when the team is trailing late by a goal. Role players do not score 29 goals.

Anyone can be a playmaker. MSL is a RW, but is probably one of the best playmakers in the game. Stamkos is a center, but will never be mistaken for a playmaker.

*Bob Richards*

Stamkos' size has nothing to do with his "role". And he is nowhere near the immensity of Lucic. Extremely different players.

*Bob Richards*

I disagree. But this is diversion from subject, mod. ;)

683136a47a9e22256bdc0eb38f19d37f-getty-139111426.jpg

I'm throwing my hands in the air for this one. Agree to disagree on everything.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
so to sum up the thread: team doesn't miss Prust, but fans do?

Team definitely misses Prust. And Fedotenko. I see and understand why Prust was left to move on but not re-signing Feds was just dumb.

Those guys were excellent role players. Prust was a big part of our blue-collar, no nonsense identity.

What's this year's identity? I know it's early and I'm one of the more patient fans, but right now we don't have one. Last year you knew what you were going to get, night in and night out.

Personally I'm almost at the point that I wished we matched Montreal's offer and dealt Gabby next off-season to make up some of the lost space. Or even Boyle this year. Logically that sounds completely dumb and irrational, but who would you rather have on the team right now? Looks like Boyle or Gabs could be dealt anyway.

Prust was just a Ranger, damn it. Sucks he's still not here.

Last edited:

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'm always going to have a soft spot for Pruster, I wouldn't mind if he pulled an Avery with MTL. But once Powe was acquired, Prusts whistle-to-whistle role was replaced.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Prust kept the room honest and hardworking. Some players like him bring intangibles like that.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
Being big does not make a power forward. At all. Stamkos is 6 foot 1, or average in the NHL. Brandon Prust is 1 inch taller than Callahan. Does this mean that we should keep all players of height above 6 feet? .
This is actually a legitimate question. Maybe. It depends of team need for speed, cause tall guys are slower, except elite, while size gives you physical upperhand. Ideally you want to have enough depth to allow coach more freedom.
Callahan is not a role player. Role players are not out there when the team is trailing late by a goal. Role players do not score 29 goals.
Role players motivate by example. It doesn't matter whether they fight, score, hit or just show energy. They lead. Leadership is an ability to make other people to do things that people wouldn't incline to do. Hockey or not. If Messier wasn't a HOF Power Forward, he would a terrific Role Player.
You can call Callahan an elite role player. Still a role player. So is Prust. Rangers didn't think he imay become an elite one. They could be wrong. So could be you.

Anyone can be a playmaker. MSL is a RW, but is probably one of the best playmakers in the game. Stamkos is a center, but will never be mistaken for a playmaker
This is irrelevant to Prust, but playmakers are the most developped hockey players there are. Anyone can learn to pass well. You have to have an incredible talent to play so called "full deck of cards" to be in such role. Only few show that ant young age. MSLhad, like the rest, to age in order to become one, he was just a sniper when he was as young as Stamkos. I think Stepan is as close as it gets to it, but lack of conststency downs even established ones, like Richards currently. This is because it is requires total concentration every shift. If you have gotten a playmaker that unable play C due to defense inability, size or whatever, you use him on the wing, or as point on PP any position because they are rarities.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2012
NY
If an elite role player scores 29 goals, then sign me up. However, Prust will NEVER score anywhere in that stratosphere.

Ice Hockey

Jan 4, 2009
CT
considering how he's playing now (from the games i've seen) VS a bigger contract we could have traded... i miss him. i wish we would've let boyle go and kept him. he's becoming a playmaker and actually uses his size every shift. never falls asleep and gets lazy. conditioning looks tip top.

edit: i did not take into consideration his recent contract i just remembered which is-- for a guy like him-- big bucks. maybe if he'd have taken a hometown discount but def not for that contract

Last edited:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I just read the last two pages... there goes 5 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

I say that we change every player's role to power forward and just mow over the competition.

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
Tuned into the Isles Habs game during intermission for all of 5 minutes. An Isle throws a bit of a dirty hit and Prust jumps right in and takes him on (probably giving 5-6 inches, 20-30 pounds). Gets thrown around a bit but still looking to get in some punches before the referees finally break it up.

Go back to the Ranger game...LAME!!!

Yea, I miss Pruster.

*Bob Richards*

We are all entitled to our opinions but if its my team I take Prust over the rest I have listed and don't hesitate for a second.

I mean, I'd take Prust too. Not arguing there, but that is because Prust is that full package guy. Personally, I don't put as much stock into toughness/fighting so Powe/Halpern's PK and defensive abilities make up for his loss just fine to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->