How much credit do you give Anderson for the Sens current record

Rank your satisfaction with Anderson

• Total voters

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He's been good for the most part. He's had a mix of really good games, decent games, and iffy games. One thing's for sure we have no backup and we'd miss him more than any other player if he went down.

Reactions: aragorn

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We will need an answer in nets for the long term, if we have any plans on going anywhere

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Team is wildly inconsistent.

Anderson is wildly inconsistent.

Some games it looks like we play a complete game. Other times it looks like we can't make a proper pass.

Some games Anderson looks impossible to beat. Other times he lets in 3 goals on like 4 shots.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Think of it this way. Where would we be with average goaltending?

Who's the 15th best goalie? Sub him in for Anderson. Where would we be?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Minimum 10 games played that is David Rittich based on save pct. Other guys right around him are Hutton, Mcelhinney, Howard, Khudobin.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Up and down. Tougher to gauge when you're getting shelled every night and you don't get much for games off.

He's been better than expected, but not game stealing most nights.

At least he isn't playing like he did last year, that was bad.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017

Any goalie subbed in would be getting an increase in shots and possibly an increase in dangerous shots.

Andersons strength has been the mid danger to low danger shots but alot of the other stats are out of his control. Shot amount, Save percentage would get better if we give up less chances somehow.

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
We probably have less than 5 wins with a Condon/McKenna duo, so a lot.

Would be interesting to see Anderson vs our backup's numbers if we had someone competent (Dell, Saros, ect)

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
I think hes getting too much credit. Imagine if Andy had a 920%, we would be around 10th in the league quite easily with the goals we score

Hes not even top 30...if thats your definition of a goalie that is good enough then your out to lunch

We would be around 5 if he had Freddy Andersen/ Peka Rinnes numbers

Goalies hide alot of faults on a team

Andy has looked pretty terrible in 70% of the games hes played, cmon now. He lets in so many soft goals, we are lucky that we are
scoring in bunches, andy is defintely not our saving grace right now and he needs to play much better if we want a chance at the playoffs, I do admit hes slightly overplayed and we have no one to back him up, that falls on management

Last edited:
Reactions: FormentonTheFuture

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think hes getting too much credit. Imagine if Andy had a 920%, we would be around 10th in the league quite easily with the goals we score

Hes not even top 30...if thats your definition of a goalie that is good enough then your out to lunch

Andy has looked pretty terrible in 70% of the games hes played, cmon now. He lets in so many soft goals, we are lucky that we are
scoring in bunches, andy is defintely not our saving grace right now and he needs to play much better if we want a chance at the playoffs, I do admit hes slightly overplayed and we have no one to back him up, that falls on management

There's not a goalie in the league that would have a .920 sv% playing behind this group. A .910sv% would be phenomenal considering how the team has played.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Well look at my post earlier on goalie points. Near the top of the league in grabbing us extra wins.

It’s probably no surprise I disagree with almost everything in your post and I feel like it’s way too simple to swap save percentages.

Feel free to take a look at the number of saves and the next closest goalies number of saves as well. Maybe if we swapped Anderson for a goalie who is en fuego like Andersen I would concur with a bump up in the standings but comeon, we could play this game all day if we don’t have the best goalie in the NHL.

You’re not alone on here in your thought process though. If we don’t have a top 5 goalie in the league on the roster then they’re automatically shit despite giving up so many shots against that has been a problem since the Maclean era.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Well look at my post earlier on goalie points. Near the top of the league in grabbing us extra wins.

It’s probably no surprise I disagree with almost everything in your post and I feel like it’s way too simple to swap save percentages.

Feel free to take a look at the number of saves and the next closest goalies number of saves as well. Maybe if we swapped Anderson for a goalie who is en fuego like Andersen I would concur with a bump up in the standings but comeon, we could play this game all day if we don’t have the best goalie in the NHL.

You’re not alone on here in your thought process though. If we don’t have a top 5 goalie in the league on the roster then they’re automatically **** despite giving up so many shots against that has been a problem since the Maclean era.

That's why I think comparing to your average starter is fair.

Some people are comparing to the top goalies which makes Anderson look bad.

Others are comparing to mckenna or condon, which makes Anderson look good.

It's somewhere in the middle. If we swap out our save % with league average save percentage, does much change?

My conclusion: Anderson has been pretty average and inconsistent looking really good some nights, and pretty bad some other nights.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
My conclusion: Anderson has been pretty average and inconsistent looking really good some nights, and pretty bad some other nights.

I'm not sure there's been many nights where Anderson has been bad. There's been plenty where the team has been bad defensively tough. A good number of games where Anderson wasn't able to keep the opposition off the scoresheet by himself.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

No goalie in the league is going to have a .920 facing the shots and quality chances that we give up.

We have won a lot of games we shouldn't have been in, there aren't many we lose when we should win.

You think Rinne has the same numbers here? I certainly don't

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I'm not sure there's been many nights where Anderson has been bad. There's been plenty where the team has been bad defensively tough. A good number of games where Anderson wasn't able to keep the opposition off the scoresheet by himself.

Meh I have. I've seen quite a few games where he's let in quite a few goals while not seeming to make a single big save. That would be a bad game for a 5 million dollar starting goalie in my opinion.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Not sure how anyone could argue he's not the largest reason we aren't a complete tire fire. Anderson's a godsend this season.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
With 105 less shots against.

Gibson has been the best goalie this year, but is on the Ducks. They aren't scoring 4 goals a game

They have been rather porous defensively though in terms of both quality and quantity of chances. Again Gibson would be the exception not the rule. He has been outstanding.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad