How much credit do you give Anderson for the Sens current record

Rank your satisfaction with Anderson

• Total voters

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
No goalie in the league is going to have a .920 facing the shots and quality chances that we give up.

We have won a lot of games we shouldn't have been in, there aren't many we lose when we should win.

You think Rinne has the same numbers here? I certainly don't

Everyone has chosen to ignore my goalie points stat for whatever reason. Anderson ranks #4. So he’s almost top of the league among goalies helping us to get make wins with an individual effort.

No Sens player among Forwards and D is among the top 10.

So if we want to answer the OPs question the best data we have says 4.6 more wins :D

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He's been good this yr for the most part & won a couple of games on his own but Ottawa can't afford to have a goalie that is good one yr & sucks the next, they need a lot more consistency than that. What will he be like next yr when it's potentially another bad yr in his historical cycle? I doubt there is a goalie in the system who can replace him for next season so I would guess they need to trade him next yr if even possible at his age. Hopefully, he is not re-signed. Finding a #1 goalie has to be a priority IMO.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
That’s the thing. Someone points out one guy and cool yeah there are some goalies playing awesome this year. I don’t see people rattling off 5-12 goalies though.

Oh for sure. It would be hilarious to see some of the names brought up as solutions get regular starts.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Oh for sure. It would be hilarious to see some of the names brought up as solutions get regular starts.
The problem is there’s no proving anything, if you think there would be better options or not. Anderson is a huge upgrade on our current options, but there are at least 15-20 goalies in the league who are better in my opinion

Reactions: aragorn

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
There's not a goalie in the league that would have a .920 sv% playing behind this group. A .910sv% would be phenomenal considering how the team has played.

I completely disagree.

Craig Anderson faces 4 more shots per game then Freddy Anderson and they have just as a worse defence then we do. Its not far fetched to think think if he had Freddys Anderson save %, we would be around #5-7 in the league. Even with the extra 4 shots per game. They are number 2 in the league

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I completely disagree.

Freddy Anderson faces 4 more shots per game then Craig Anderson and they have just as a worse defence then we do. Its not far fetched to think think if he had Freddys Anderson save %, we would be around #5-7 in the league. Even with the extra 4 shots per game. They are number 2 in the league

First of all your numbers are wrong. Secondly, its not all about quantity, quality matters, Ottawa is putrid in both. Lastly, Toronto for the most part outplays their opponent. Ottawa does not.

It's completely unreasonable to believe Ottawa could under any circumstance be #5-#7 based on the way they have played this season.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
They have been rather porous defensively though in terms of both quality and quantity of chances. Again Gibson would be the exception not the rule. He has been outstanding.
Oh I know, was just to illustrate both guys have 11 wins, yet one team is scoring an absurd amount to somewhat overcome their complete lack of defense.

Ducks have been bad, but are nowhere near as bad as the Sens. Anderson gets hung out to dry like no goalie I have seen in the past decade.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I completely disagree.

Freddy Anderson faces 4 more shots per game then Craig Anderson and they have just as a worse defence then we do. Its not far fetched to think think if he had Freddys Anderson save %, we would be around #5-7 in the league. Even with the extra 4 shots per game. They are number 2 in the league
Not sure where you are getting that, because it is completely false, like not even close to being right.

Andersen - 770 shots in 23 games, was pulled once

Anderson - 894 shots in 25 games, including 4 where he was pulled or came in relief

Our Anderson has faced 124 more shots in 2 extra games...

Anderson has more saves then any other goalie has faced shots in the league.

Last edited:

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Anderson has had some good games giving them a chance most nights but to be fair he's had a few turkeys in there too where late offense has made things appear closer than they were.

I don't blame Anderson for being out of the playoffs but if the right deal came along like say Philly I'd trade him in a heartbeat for a variety of reasons. One thing I wouldn't do is base any decisions on the fact that Colorado has their 1st pick. It would be a mistake if Dorion let that influence his decisions.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
First of all your numbers are wrong. Secondly, its not all about quantity, quality matters, Ottawa is putrid in both. Lastly, Toronto for the most part outplays their opponent. Ottawa does not.

It's completely unreasonable to believe Ottawa could under any circumstance be #5-#7 based on the way they have played this season.

Not sure where you are getting that, because it is completely false, like not even close to being right.

Andersen - 770 shots in 23 games, was pulled once

Anderson - 894 shots in 25 games, including 4 where he was pulled or came in relief

Our Anderson has faced 124 more shots in 2 extra games...

Anderson has more saves then any other goalie has faced shots in the league.

So this site is wrong?

2018-19 NHL Hockey Stats and League Leaders - Scoring - National Hockey League - ESPN

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Last edited:

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
That site says Ottawa allows 38 shots against per game compared to Toronto's 34...

Andersen has faced 104 less shots then Anderson

Yeah thats what ive been saying..2 members are telling me thats wrong?

" Craig Anderson faces 4 more shots per game then Freddy Andersen"

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
That is wrong...

It's very easy to see. Look at who has faced the most shots...

I had Andersen switched with Anderson, that was kinda obvious lol they are kinda simmilar, so yeah point still stands. My whole point was that we would be around 5th-7th in the league easily if we had his save %. Im very much aware we allow more shots a game, i linked it...

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I had Andersen switched with Anderson, that was kinda obvious lol they are kinda simmilar, so yeah point still stands.
It really doesn't.

Anderson is facing ~5 more shots per game than Andersen, of higher quality.

Would Andersen be better than Anderson? Of course, he's 8 years younger.

Would he be making a big difference to this team? I highly, highly doubt it.

Every single goalie would see a drop in their numbers, I don;t think there are any exceptions.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
It really doesn't.

Anderson is facing ~5 more shots per game than Andersen, of higher quality.

Would Andersen be better than Anderson? Of course, he's 8 years younger.

Would he be making a big difference to this team? I highly, highly doubt it.

Every single goalie would see a drop in their numbers, I don;t think there are any exceptions.

We all have our opinions

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We all have our opinions
Sure.

If you're of the opinion that Andersen would have the same sv% playing here, then I really don't know what to say.

It's not just shots, it's the quality.

We give up the highest quality, and highest quantity in the league by a lot.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Sure.

If you're of the opinion that Andersen would have the same sv% playing here, then I really don't know what to say.

It's not just shots, it's the quality.

We give up the highest quality, and highest quantity in the league by a lot.

My opinion this whole time is we would be 5th-7th if we had andersens save %...

Reactions: FormentonTheFuture

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ottawa can't afford to have a goalie that is good one yr & sucks the next, they need a lot more consistency than that.

Ottawa refuses to pay for a goalie that is consistently good over multiple years. Those goalies cost $6+mil. We've never paid anything close to that on a goalie.

We're getting what we're paying for. We can't afford to have a streaky goalie... but we can't AFFORD a better one, so this is what we're going to have to live with for the next couple of years.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
My opinion this whole time is we would be 5th-7th if we had andersens save %...

But that's the thing, you dont get a sv% of that when the team is so awful defensively. A goalie can only cover up so much.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Ottawa refuses to pay for a goalie that is consistently good over multiple years. Those goalies cost $6+mil. We've never paid anything close to that on a goalie.

We're getting what we're paying for. We can't afford to have a streaky goalie... but we can't AFFORD a better one, so this is what we're going to have to live with for the next couple of years.

Anderson salary at pure UFA years is comparable to guys like Howard and Mike Smith. So there ya go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad