How much credit do you give Anderson for the Sens current record

Rank your satisfaction with Anderson

• Total voters

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
A sh_t load, that's how much.... We have the weakest Defence in the NHL, and yet, we are stealing some games.....
Unless I was totally out of it last night I didn't originate that post I only commented on it. My brain is still not quite in gear today and I don't mind taking credit but I'm pretty sure the part you quoted wasn't mine.

Reactions: Back in Black

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I saw him today, he was having a very in depth conversation with Mike Condon over lunch. He looks tired.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
He is just doing his part, nothing out of the ordinary. Regardless he is bombarded with 40 shots a game, he isn't really stealing any games for us. he had is fair share of struggles this season. He is simply doing what a NHL goalie is suppose to do.

Stone and Duchene gets the most credits for our record this season. Basically we are out-scoring our opponents for 90% of our wins, and these 2 are the main reason for that. I would include Chabot in there too, but he has been, at times, questionable in his own end.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He is just doing his part, nothing out of the ordinary. Regardless he is bombarded with 40 shots a game, he isn't really stealing any games for us. he had is fair share of struggles this season. He is simply doing what a NHL goalie is suppose to do.

Stone and Duchene gets the most credits for our record this season. Basically we are out-scoring our opponents for 90% of our wins, and these 2 are the main reason for that. I would include Chabot in there too, but he has been, at times, questionable in his own end.
I mean, in order to win you need to outscore the opponent, no?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

:huh:

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think the Senators have been fortunate to have Anderson as its goaltender for the time he has been here. He has been good to very good, but not excellent. As he is getting older and will soon retire, the team needs a new young goaltender to replace him. We seem to have 3 prospects that might become the next one; however we need some additional very good goaltender prospects to raise the probabilities that at least one of them turns out to be a first line goaltender. Perhaps we can get one with our first pick next year (the second round pick). :)

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He's let in more than his fair share of bad goals but with the workload the rest of the team and the coaching staff impose on him, I can't fault him too much. Mistakes happen and when the cause of mistakes is clrealy established (unreasonable workload) the real crime is not addressing it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Throwing it out here again for people’s thoughts. How about you Sir @Micklebot
Never really been a fan of the point share metric hockeyref uses, though tbh, I never looked into goalie shares much. The methodology always seemed very dated, not accounting for the quality of chances for example. Obviously being high up there on that metric isn't a bad thing though.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That site says Ottawa allows 38 shots against per game compared to Toronto's 34...

Andersen has faced 104 less shots then Anderson

Anderson has 894 shots against in 1404 mins - 0.64 shots/min = 38.4/per60 mins.

Andersen has 770 shots against in 1372 mins - 0.56 shots/min = 33.6/per60 mins

That is a big difference. Very big difference

5 shots per 60 minutes of play is really not a big deal. As a goalie, I don't really care about the number of shots I receive. Actually, I prefer to get more because a game where you don't receive a lot of shots but a higher % of them are 2 on 1's, breakaways, shots from the slot, or rebounds in close; it's actually hard to build your "mental wall", especially if you get scored on early. You need those routine/easy shots to get more "comfortable"

The problem at the NHL level and why the actual system sucks is that players are the best in the world, so they will deflect and screen a lot of pucks. This passive/blocking/cutting lanes system is outdaded, so the more shots attempts you allow, the more you increase the chance of getting scored a "ugly/lucky goal" against.

See data below.

Sure.

If you're of the opinion that Andersen would have the same sv% playing here, then I really don't know what to say.

It's not just shots, it's the quality.

We give up the highest quality, and highest quantity in the league by a lot.

Well, this statement doesn't fit with the data, unless NaturalStatTrick is totally inaccurate

CA/60 : Sens 69.29 (31st) - Ducks 63.85 (30th) - Leafs 62.45 (29th)
SA/60 : Sens 38.01 (31st) - Ducks 34.84 (30th) - Leafs 33.59 (28th)
SCA/60 : Sens 30.11 (30th) - Ducks 33.73 (31st) - Leafs 29.55 (26th)
HDCFA/60 : Sens 12.17 (26th) - Ducks 14.33 (31st) - Leafs 12.12 (25th)

GA/60 : Sens 4.09 (31st) - Ducks 2.76 (10th) - Leafs 2.67 (5th)
SV% : Sens 89.24 (25th) - Ducks 92.08 (1st) - Leafs 92.05 (2nd)
HDSV% : Sens 79.39 (24th) - Ducks 83.58 (7th) - Leafs 82.38 (11th)

If you look at SCA and HDCA per 60 minutes, the quantity and quality is almost exactly similar to the Leafs. The only difference here is that the Leafs and Ducks have some of the best goaltending in the league. If the Sens had their goalies, life would be easier. Then, if they had Leafs coaching, they could even be in a playoffs spot right now

Last edited:
Reactions: Hands of Stone

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
5 shots per 60 minutes of play is really not a big deal. As a goalie, I don't really care about the number of shots I receive. Actually, I prefer to get more because a game where you don't receive a lot of shots but a higher % of them are 2 on 1's, breakaways, shots from the slot, or rebounds in close; it's actually hard to build your "mental wall", especially if you get scored on early. You need those routine/easy shots to get more "comfortable"

The problem at the NHL level and why the actual system sucks is that players are the best in the world, so they will deflect and screen a lot of pucks. This passive/blocking/cutting lanes system is outdaded, so the more shots attempts you allow, the more you increase the chance of getting scored a "ugly/lucky goal" against.

See data below.

Well, this statement doesn't fit with the data, unless NaturalStatTrick is totally inaccurate

CA/60 : Sens 69.29 (31st) - Ducks 63.85 (30th) - Leafs 62.45 (29th)
SA/60 : Sens 38.01 (31st) - Ducks 34.84 (30th) - Leafs 33.59 (28th)
SCA/60 : Sens 30.11 (30th) - Ducks 33.73 (31st) - Leafs 29.55 (26th)
HDCFA/60 : Sens 12.17 (26th) - Ducks 14.33 (31st) - Leafs 12.12 (25th)

GA/60 : Sens 4.09 (31st) - Ducks 2.76 (10th) - Leafs 2.67 (5th)
SV% : Sens 89.24 (25th) - Ducks 92.08 (1st) - Leafs 92.05 (2nd)
HDSV% : Sens 79.39 (24th) - Ducks 83.58 (7th) - Leafs 82.38 (11th)

If you look at SCA and HDCA per 60 minutes, the quantity and quality is almost exactly similar to the Leafs. The only difference here is that the Leafs and Ducks have some of the best goaltending in the league. If the Sens had their goalies, life would be easier. Then, if they had Leafs coaching, they could even be in a playoffs spot right now
The bolded contradict each other.

Sure, if the site says that other teams have allowed more high danger scoring chances, I'm not one to say their wrong, I'm not pouring through data, just going off what I see with my own eyes.

I'd definitely be questioning it's validity, as no team looks remotely as bad as the Sens defensively, but that's neither here nor there.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The bolded contradict each other.

Sure, if the site says that other teams have allowed more high danger scoring chances, I'm not one to say their wrong, I'm not pouring through data, just going off what I see with my own eyes.

I'd definitely be questioning it's validity, but that's neither here nor there.

Well, if you compare Sens data with Ducks data, you will find that it's extremely similar, Sens might might give up 3 more shots per 60 minutes, but Ducks seem to give 4 more scoring chances per game and 2 of them of high danger. Difference is they're getting all-world class goaltending. So yeah, it doesn't match with your initial statement that was just based on your impression. That being said, Ducks, Sens and even Leafs are probably among the 5 worst teams defensively, the Hawks and Wings should be close as well.

But I'm not blaming Andy or anything, he plays in front of a very inexperienced blue-line in a putrid system. It's a system that requires your players to totally buy in and also go 110% balls to the walls all the time, and you won't get that from a bunch of players who probably don't care to play for Ottawa and particularly for this owner. A lot of the forwards will cheat and will prioritize their own stats for eventual negotiations (with another team). Anderson doesn't even have a quality back-up so he gets a pass this year, as long as he tries hard.

As for the validity, the other advanced stats sites will tell you the same story, and probably internal teams advanced stats would as well. It's not a biased source, it's just data and this data allows to refute false statements. Example, somebody that would say that the Sens are getting some of the best goaltending in the league, because it's not the case. Low, medium and high danger SV% shows it. Best goalies will be high in all 3 categories (like Ducks and Leafs this year, Ottawa is bottom in all 3), which means that we get scored on more than others no matter the quality of the chance...

Last edited:

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
He isn't as good as he was in his peak, that's for sure.

However, he is getting an insanely high amount of rubber thrown at him.

This isn't the Grant Fuhr era.

Fatigue will play a part, and he will need a break which is isn't getting.

Based on how many times he has had to face key scoring chances this season, I am very happy with him.

He is a large reason why ottawa still finds itself sniffing at a playoff spot with a slight win streak in December.

On paper they should be so far off the picture, they wouldn't even be the nail on the wall

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Ottawa has not won a game, since he's been out of the line up.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
HOP.gif

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
There is not much positive credit to be given to the team this year, I can credit them with being bad.

Anderson is not one of the best goalies in the league according to the stats site above ^.

The record sucks, so i would give him his proportionate amount of credit for that terrible record.

I don't know what percentage it would be after all unknown mitigating factors are considered. But to him it doesn't really matter, he has had a great career. And to us it doesn't matter as most agree there seems to be some sort of dysfunction of the team as a whole, including management and ownership. So even if Gustavsson came up and played lights out and we landed just outside the playoffs the narrative might be we should have soaked him in gravy in the minors before feeding him to the wolves. etc etc.

I just think it doesn't make sense to even evaluate Anderson's play, he is pretty much done his career, his family lives in florida, the team sucks and isn't making the playoffs. In the words of mike babcock, ummm paiiinnnnn , until the next year we draft some awesome guy oh wait, oh no oh no.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Andy is heart and soul.

The players actually respected him and played on the ice for him. Maybe he went through too much and as a result our guys don't know how to respond to our other 'tendys.

I suspect he will be traded this season, and he deserves a chance to abandon this tire fire and play for a championship team. (Lockout next year means this is his last shot boys)

Ironically, San Jose has bad goaltending. Don't be surprised...

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Andy is heart and soul.

The players actually respected him and played on the ice for him. Maybe he went through too much and as a result our guys don't know how to respond to our other 'tendys.

I suspect he will be traded this season, and he deserves a chance to abandon this tire fire and play for a championship team. (Lockout next year means this is his last shot boys)

Ironically, San Jose has bad goaltending. Don't be surprised...
If there is a lockout it would not be next year. It would be 2020-2021

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Team was bad with Andy.
Team is exponentially worse without him.

His fantastic play this year was hiding just how bad our blueline and coaching actually is. It's breathtaking just how bad we look when we're not getting the benefit of a legit starting goalie playing his arse off for us and camoflaging the massive holes in our lineup and on-ice strategy.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If there is a lockout it would not be next year. It would be 2020-2021

2020 is next year, yes the current CBA can be terminated in September 2020.

BUT, on Sept. 1st, 2019, the NHL has the option and then, on Sept. 15, the NHLPA has the option to terminate the CBA, which would trigger a Lockout, or Strike depending on who exercises that option.

So yes, a lockout could begin this year

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I knew this thread would eventually determine how much credit (a lot) should be given to Andy. I didn't want it to come about like this, but I knew it would sort itself out, eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->