How many points will the Sens get this year?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I dunno dude, Rangers/Leafs/Habs all completed varying degrees of rebuilds and money is definitely not a factor with any of those teams. I think it was strictly performance related and based on internal expectations. Those ownership groups are large corporations and do not want to be associated with a losing product so they didn't really have a choice but to go another direction. You can see that this organization wants to compete in a lot of the moves because they are very contradictory. They need the revenue of a competitive team but they also know that this core probably can't win. So they're stuck in some quasi-purgatory just because the coffers are empty. Rebuild also implies trying to improve your draft position as well. IMO this is definitely not a damn rebuild. They want to keep the core together. That in and of itself goes against anything we know about rebuilds.

If they were rebuilding, why don't they trade Duchene and Stone instead of trying to re-sign them?
Why is Tkachuk on the the team helping them try to win games?
Why is Dzingel here and not traded?
Why trade for Boedker instead of picks?

True, those rich organizations decided to rebuild because, ultimately, their core was not good enough and they realized throwing money around won't change that in today's NHL. But, those teams that are rich did have their salary commitments go down. Montreal has twice as expensive tickets and they are not spending anywhere near the cap. They wouldn't even sign Radulov when they had oodles of cash and cap space to do so.

I think Duchene and Stone are pieces of a core that also includes Chabot and Tkachuk and hopefully Dzingel. Tierney is young as well.

Of course , this can all fall apart if they cannot sign the UFAs and they will get No. 1 picks back one would think

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I dunno dude, Rangers/Leafs/Habs all completed varying degrees of rebuilds and money is definitely not a factor with any of those teams. I think it was strictly performance related and based on internal expectations. Those ownership groups are large corporations and do not want to be associated with a losing product so they didn't really have a choice but to go another direction. You can see that this organization wants to compete in a lot of the moves because they are very contradictory. They need the revenue of a competitive team but they also know that this core probably can't win. So they're stuck in some quasi-purgatory just because the coffers are empty. Rebuild also implies trying to improve your draft position as well. IMO this is definitely not a damn rebuild. They want to keep the core together. That in and of itself goes against anything we know about rebuilds.

If they were rebuilding, why don't they trade Duchene and Stone instead of trying to re-sign them?
Why is Tkachuk on the the team helping them try to win games?
Why is Dzingel here and not traded?
Why trade for Boedker instead of picks?

In short because you can't have a roster full of rookie. You need to have some quality vets who play the game the way you want the kids developing into.

Also, a few star players that want to stay around to rebuild isn a good thing because the kids have NHL star role models on the team to look up to, and generally some skilled players who can teach them a thing or two.

We already have half our D corp as brand new players, and we have a couple on offence. BT was not kept up to sell tickets or to win games, he was kept up because the kid refused to give management the slightest excuse to send him down. Next year we'll have a couple more kids up for sure, maybe even before the end of the season. We NEED some quality vest to shepherd them along.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
In short because you can't have a roster full of rookie. You need to have some quality vets who play the game the way you want the kids developing into.

Also, a few star players that want to stay around to rebuild isn a good thing because the kids have NHL star role models on the team to look up to, and generally some skilled players who can teach them a thing or two.

We already have half our D corp as brand new players, and we have a couple on offence. BT was not kept up to sell tickets or to win games, he was kept up because the kid refused to give management the slightest excuse to send him down. Next year we'll have a couple more kids up for sure, maybe even before the end of the season. We NEED some quality vest to shepherd them along.
Even IF the Sens break their pattern and offer market value, what incentive do these UFA'S have to sign up for this tire fire organization?

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

Man at this point I don’t know how you can deny that it’s cost cutting it’s so apparent. Spinnitnany way you want but this rebuild is different compared to any other teams rebuild.

Reactions: SenatorsHockey

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Man at this point I don’t know how you can deny that it’s cost cutting it’s so apparent. Spinnitnany way you want but this rebuild is different compared to any other teams rebuild.

Really? Please explain how at the team level this rebuild is so different from other team's rebuilds. This should be good.

Who is denying that? I personally have stated that the rebuild timing is super convenient timing for much need for cost saving.

EM needs to cut costs so he can afford the new arena build, I believe that is likely true. They have also increased scouting staff and front house staff to coincide with the specific needs of drafting, rebuilding, and marketing. This is not an after though gutting with a shoddy, cheap on-ice product. This is an exciting young roster, with loads of potential, a bunch of excellent prospects at all levels of play, and a bunch of draft picks lined up. We also have a couple guys who will either shepherd us through the rebuild or be traded, but from what we have been told at the very least PD is working on signing Duchene. That's not cutting at all costs, that's what a hockey rebuild looks like.

The part that I think you miss is that you stop at cost cutting as though that's the be all end all. In truth it's also a good time to rebuild based on our roster, it's good timing for the owner to save money, and for us to start fresh with a new young core.

I don't see why we have to get hung up on WHY we are rebuilding, it's still what a rebuild looks like regardless, and will continue to do so. Look the owner wants to build a new arena, and we all want a new arena built. EM is not rich enough to do it without cutting costs, so that's what he does. It sounds very much like any one of us would do if we needed to afford renos or something at home.

He's not as rich as we'd all like, it's time to get over that.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Really? Please explain how at the team level this rebuild is so different from other team's rebuilds. This should be good.

Who is denying that? I personally have stated that the rebuild timing is super convenient timing for much need for cost saving.

EM needs to cut costs so he can afford the new arena build, I believe that is likely true. They have also increased scouting staff and front house staff to coincide with the specific needs of drafting, rebuilding, and marketing. This is not an after though gutting with a shoddy, cheap on-ice product. This is an exciting young roster, with loads of potential, a bunch of excellent prospects at all levels of play, and a bunch of draft picks lined up. We also have a couple guys who will either shepherd us through the rebuild or be traded, but from what we have been told at the very least PD is working on signing Duchene. That's not cutting at all costs, that's what a hockey rebuild looks like.

The part that I think you miss is that you stop at cost cutting as though that's the be all end all. In truth it's also a good time to rebuild based on our roster, it's good timing for the owner to save money, and for us to start fresh with a new young core.

I don't see why we have to get hung up on WHY we are rebuilding, it's still what a rebuild looks like regardless, and will continue to do so. Look the owner wants to build a new arena, and we all want a new arena built. EM is not rich enough to do it without cutting costs, so that's what he does. It sounds very much like any one of us would do if we needed to afford renos or something at home.

He's not as rich as we'd all like, it's time to get over that.
I can’t read all that right now man but you basically implied in your first paragraph that it isn’t a pure performance related rebuild and only serves to benefits the owners financial status.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I can’t read all that right now man but you basically implied in your first paragraph that it isn’t a pure performance related rebuild and only serves to benefits the owners financial status.

Hey no worries man. I said it's both. Many around here have wanted a full rebuild for a while now given that we were floating around in the middle looking for lightening in a bottle (which we caught). Saving up for an arena is the perfect time to get that rebuild started.

I'm not really sure where the conspiracy is, it all looks very obvious, and none of it makes this a 'fake' rebuild. It's already awesome and promising.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Hey no worries man. I said it's both. Many around here have wanted a full rebuild for a while now given that we were floating around in the middle looking for lightening in a bottle (which we caught). Saving up for an arena is the perfect time to get that rebuild started.

I'm not really sure where the conspiracy is, it all looks very obvious, and none of it makes this a 'fake' rebuild. It's already awesome and promising.
I would love a full wholesale rebuild. But only if we had our lottery pick. If Pierre Dorion operates independently enough we both know he would he wouldn’t execute this “rebuild” without that pick. Last year the narrative from management was that we were competing. Now we’re rebuilding. Who’s to say we’re not competing again next year according to management. My point is they just say and pay lip service to whatever their current financial agenda is and it’s pretty plain to see.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I would love a full wholesale rebuild. But only if we had our lottery pick. If Pierre Dorion operates independently enough we both know he would he wouldn’t execute this “rebuild” without that pick. Last year the narrative from management was that we were competing. Now we’re rebuilding. Who’s to say we’re not competing again next year according to management. My point is they just say and pay lip service to whatever their current financial agenda is and it’s pretty plain to see.

I wish we had it too, but we don't because we traded it when we were looked good and wanted to upgrade from Turris to Duchene. It's gone. We'll either have Duchene extended, or some picks and prospects for him in a trade, either way we're not out the asset.

We're rebuilding now, it's not like we can just put it off for a year to make another run, because we sucked last year, and EK needed to be signed or traded this off season. The time to decide was this summer at the latest, regardless of the missing pick, and it looks like both EK and PD chose trade.

Management has endorsed the rebuild publicly and told the fanbase to brace itself. While you can go from claiming to contend, to a full rebuild at any time, you can't be rebuilding and then just claim to be competing the next season. We have a rebuilding team, we're doing great for what we are, but we have a long way to go and there really aren't any short cuts. Not when you don't have cap level dollars to play with and waste.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Google sens expand scouting staff
Hey help us out...google “Melnyk bare bones”

Then google the scouting staff for the other Canadian teams and compare to the Sens.

Then google front office staff and compare.

Adding a couple of warm bodies when you are way below industry standards doesn’t mean anything except to fool a few rubes.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I wish we had it too, but we don't because we traded it when we were looked good and wanted to upgrade from Turris to Duchene. It's gone. We'll either have Duchene extended, or some picks and prospects for him in a trade, either way we're not out the asset.

We're rebuilding now, it's not like we can just put it off for a year to make another run, because we sucked last year, and EK needed to be signed or traded this off season. The time to decide was this summer at the latest, regardless of the missing pick, and it looks like both EK and PD chose trade.

Management has endorsed the rebuild publicly and told the fanbase to brace itself. While you can go from claiming to contend, to a full rebuild at any time, you can't be rebuilding and then just claim to be competing the next season. We have a rebuilding team, we're doing great for what we are, but we have a long way to go and there really aren't any short cuts. Not when you don't have cap level dollars to play with and waste.

“Doing great” — just about as accurate as the rest of this drivel.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Hey help us out...google “Melnyk bare bones”

Then google the scouting staff for the other Canadian teams and compare to the Sens.

Then google front office staff and compare.

Adding a couple of warm bodies when you are way below industry standards doesn’t mean anything except to fool a few rubes.

How about compare them with teams that have the same revenue? And answer my question if its only about money why hire more staff when money gets freed up? They dont have to

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
How about compare them with teams that have the same revenue? And answer my question if its only about money why hire more staff when money gets freed up? They dont have to
Sorry champ.

Do some work first and then get back to me. The Business Of Hockey

Feel free to limit your search to Canadian teams with similar revenues or use Anaheim, San Jose, Dallas, Minnesota or Tampa Bay. All of whom are within 5M of the Sens in terms of revenue.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Sorry champ.

Do some work first and then get back to me. The Business Of Hockey

Feel free to limit your search to Canadian teams with similar revenues or use Anaheim, San Jose, Dallas, Minnesota or Tampa Bay. All of whom are within 5M of the Sens in terms of revenue.

I i dont work for you. You post untruths you post no numbers or facts. You have a fake boycot. Do your own work first. Im bored of showing your wrong. Posting a link to team revenue means nothing. And proving that some other team spends more on something was not the topic or in the convo so go make a new thread post some real numbers and discuss away.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Google sens expand scouting staff
Yes, they hired 3 new scouts. I know De Blois quite well.

Begining of 2017-18
1. Trent Mann - Chief Amateur Scout
2. Mikko Ruutu - Cheif European Scout
3. Justin Murray - OHL/QMJHL
4. Georger Fargher - OHL/US
5. Don Boyd - WHL/BCHL/US
6. Jimmy Blixt - European Scout
7. Frank Kollar - Goalies
8. Anders Ostberg - European Scout
9. Bobby Strumm - WHL
10. Dan Boeser - USHS/Midwest
11. Todd Stirling - US Northwest
12. Bob Janecyk - European

12 Amateur Scouts

13. Jim Clark - Chief Pro Scout
14. John Perpich
15. Michael Abbotsford

3 Pro Scouts

15 total scouts

Beginning of 2018-19
1. Trent Mann - Chief Amateur Scout
2. Mikko Ruutu - Cheif European Scout
3. Christian De Blois - Quebec/Maritimes
4. Georger Fargher - OHL/US
5. Don Boyd - WHL/BCHL/US
6. Petr Havluj - European Scout
7. Frank Kollar - Goalies
8. Anders Ostberg - European Scout
9. Bobby Strumm - WHL
10. Dan Boeser - USHS/Midwest
11. Todd Stirling - US Northwest
12. Kyle Flanagn - Quebec/Ontaro/NCAA (Former AHL player for Sens)
13. Bob Janecyk - European

13 Amateur Scouts

14. Jim Clark - Chief Pro Scout
15. John Perpich
16. Michael Abbotsford

3 Pro scouts

16 total

So again, tell me whee all this extra money is going into scouting, or are you referring to the extra ~50-75k for one more guy in Quebec?

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Yes, they hired 3 new scouts. I know De Blois quite well.

And then take into account that they let 3 scouts go prior to the year ending, and hired 3 new guys.

So again, tell me how they are spending more on the scouting staff?

What 3 were fired? I had no idea.

Anyway Ott has 13 scouts listed same as edmonton 3 less then calgary. It dont seem that bad so I stopped looking.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What 3 were fired? I had no idea.

Anyway Ott has 13 scouts listed same as edmonton 3 less then calgary. It dont seem that bad so I stopped looking.
They have 1 more amateur scout compared to last season, in the area (Quebec) that they were already doing a fantastic job.

Let go of Justin Murray and replaced with Kyle Flanagen (QMJHL/Quebec). He's never scouted before, but has played in Ottawa's farm system for a few years, finishing last year.

Let go of Jimmy Blixt and replaced with Petr Havlug (European). Never scouted before, was a player in the Chezch 3rd division last season.

Hired Christian De Blois for Maritimes/Quebec. Head scout for Saint John (drafted Chabot) and Shawinigan.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Why are your posts so bitter?? Seems if someone has a different opinion or doesn't group hug along with you, you resort to bitterness as a go to option...
Doesn't seem like a good way to discuss things on a discussion board?
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad