How many points will the Sens get this year?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
5 days later I finally reply lol

The article you quoted even says they were 14 points out of a playoff spot in February. They were extremely far out of a playoff spot.

Like I said, due to several Eastern teams having a great season. That year was a bit special because the 8th place team made the playoffs with 98 pts. The years before it was either 92 or 93 pts. Heck, the Habs and Flyers even made the playoffs with 88 pts in 2009-10

I know what you mean and you're right, I worded that very poorly, they were farther than "not too far" from a playoffs spot. I was more trying to nuance the "That 2015 team spent most of the year the basement" part of your post, saying that playing around 0.500 usually won't get you in the basement, so you still have the chance to go on a winning streak and get back in the playoffs picture (like they did). And they had to win a lot to make the playoffs because the parity was even higher than years of past.

Sens went to OT 15 times, and got 9 loser points in that span, the most of any team in the league. They went to OT 26/82 times. They were literally 14 points out of a playoff spot after Christmas. It is the biggest comeback to a playoff spot in history, isn't it?

That year was great, they were wayyyy out of a playoff spot. Bottom of the league level around 25-27th overall.

Look at it this way....

At game #56 they were 22-23-10, playing at below an 82 point pace.

Then, they finish the year 21-3-3, which is an 137 point pace. Even playing at an unprecedented pace over an extremely large sample size and it came down to the final game to clinch a spot. They got 45 out of a possible 54 points, and only made the playoffs by 3 points (6/6 in their last 3 games, while the Bruins got 1/6 in their last 3 to miss the playoffs, Pens got 3 points in their final 6 games of the season).

They had 10 more points than the next best team in that stretch.

"After being 14 points out of a playoff spot at the start of February the Senators rallied behind the outstanding play of call-up goaltender Andrew Hammond down the stretch and qualified for the playoffs in the last game of the regular season"

No idea, probably one of the greatest comebacks of course, we all know that. But that's not the point I was making (see my post above). My fault as I didn't mention what part I was quoting and also worded my post very poorly in general.

I tried to find the standings at the lowest point of their season (20-22-9, 49 pts in 51 games) but couldn't. I have a hard time believing that a ~0.500 record brings you to 27th OA on 30 teams, particularly since many teams were doing great, which is why I didn't think basement was the appropriate term. But crazier things have happened, so I could be wrong. But couldn't find the standings at that point in time.

Anyway it strangely reminds me of 2006-07, the year they went to the SCF

6-10-1 on November 13th and then 17-18-1 on December 21st

It's never too late until the later part of the season to turn it around but with 26 games left like you said, it was getting very unlikely for them to make the playoffs, especially with such a strong competition that year. That comeback run was one of the best stretches we lived as fans since the SCF, with the 2013 series vs the Habs and of course the ECF run last year.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
The NHl's 3 best teams could be in our division - Boston, TB, Toronto.

Going to be a season with lot's of losing, and watching teams in our own division absolutely destroy us in every category - speed, talent, IQ, focus, belief, it'll take any hope that the rebuild will 1-2 years away. I say by the end of October Ottawa fans will come to the full realization that it's worse then we thought, when we already thought it couldn't get any worse.

After we trade Stone and Duchnese and Dzingel I saw we only win 5 games after the deadline.

Who exactly is Dzingel with 30-40 points production? Nobody will even claim him from wavers.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
I honestly think they finish 32 - 41 - 9 (or of a similar record).

I don't think they're quite a playoff team, but that they will flirt with a playoff spot for a shortened portion of the season, giving fans a glimpse of years to come.

If they do make the playoffs, I won't be shocked, but would be a pleasant surprise but definitely not an expectation.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I honestly think they finish 32 - 41 - 9 (or of a similar record).

I don't think they're quite a playoff team, but that they will flirt with a playoff spot for a shortened portion of the season, giving fans a glimpse of years to come.

If they do make the playoffs, I won't be shocked, but would be a pleasant surprise but definitely not an expectation.

If the D performs better than many expect with Lajoie and maybe Wolanin after getting called up, that's certainly possible. Our forwards are ok. Our D has some pretty big unknowns with Lajoie, Wolanin, and Chabot on the left having a combined 74 career games being our options for the top 4. Then Boro and Harpur competing for the 3rd pair. Wideman and Ceci are serviceable, and same can probably be said about Jaros and DeMelo.

A lot rides on young kids, so it's a bit of a crap shoot. We could be epicly bad, or we could surprise people.

Reactions: HF Reader

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
they must be pretty high on Lajoie and Jaros. Wolanin looked pretty good last year in his 10 game tryout. I was pretty surprised to see him sent down.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The team is a lock for bottom 3 but I can't say that the Habs or Yotes will finish better or worse. How about they won't get better than last year's 67 points?

Here, I ended up putting my money where my mouth is:

upload_2018-10-3_14-21-13.png

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Senators are projected dead last in all points predictions: bookmakers, analytics models, fan surveys, magazines, video games.
I don't think I've ever seen such consensus before. Incredible.

Domy8yoUwAAk99B.jpg:large

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Is there a variable for cyber-bullying in these analytics models?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Senators are projected dead last in all points predictions: bookmakers, analytics models, fan surveys, magazines, video games.
I don't think I've ever seen such consensus before. Incredible.

Domy8yoUwAAk99B.jpg:large

Can I bet on the Sens not finishing last?

I need something to celebrate after we finish 25th overall this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad