Speculation: How Many Players Now Regret the Tortorella Firing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Last season Gaborik and Richards didn't play particularly well and more than half of the fanbase blamed it directly on Tortorella. I don't see these idiots blaming AV for Nash, Richards, Girardi, MDZ, Moore, Stepan, the rest of the team minus MZA, etc.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm pretty concerned at this point that we're halfway through the season and the players look like they have no clue where they should be at any area of the ice and are constantly blowing coverages all over the place. It speaks very poorly to AV's coaching that this team looks like they're still playing preseason games.

This team is a mess and so far the only thing AV's coaching seems to have done is make everyone confused about what they should be doing.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The Rangers lost four games to the Pens last year, three by scores of 6-3, 3-0 and 3-0.

Guess who was the coach?

The Rangers lost four games to the Pens during the magical dynasty season of 2012 by scores of 5-2, 5-2, 4-1 and 2-0.

Guess who was the coach?

The idea that last night's loss was due to a lack of competitiveness by way of our new coach is just another example of how ignorant a fan base can be.

The Pens are a better team. They always have been. They have better players and their goalie outplayed our goalie -- again.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I love the old "Fire Tortarella" threads. You know, the ones that popped up about three or four times a season every year until the day he was actually fired.

Those are a lot of fun, especially within the context of THIS abomination of a thread.

In the "Fire Tortarella" threads, people said they missed Renney. People actually said they "missed" Tom Renney. Now in this thread, we have people stating that they not only "miss" Tortarella and his d-bag ways, but they think the players might "miss" him as well.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Usually when you make a significant change like firing the head coach you do it to get better. I love how people are justifying the AV hire by arguing that the Rangers are only slightly worse off.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The Rangers lost four games to the Pens last year, three by scores of 6-3, 3-0 and 3-0.

Guess who was the coach?

The Rangers lost four games to the Pens during the magical dynasty season of 2012 by scores of 5-2, 5-2, 4-1 and 2-0.

Guess who was the coach?

The idea that last night's loss was due to a lack of competitiveness by way of our new coach is just another example of how ignorant a fan base can be.

The Pens are a better team. They always have been. They have better players and their goalie outplayed our goalie -- again.

My point isn't just about last night, last night just illustrates the Rangers problems this year even more starkly. The Pens second goal was just mind boggling in that two Rangers defensemen were down below the goal line, and the two forwards covering the front of the net actually backed away from the lone Penguin in front of hte net and left him completely uncovered. It was madness and a clear indication (among plenty of others) that the Rangers players just do no get what the coaching staff wants of them and are confused about all this.

Again, it's halfway through the season and there is no improvement from the start of the season. That is a bad bad sign for the coaching staff

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
I love the old "Fire Tortarella" threads. You know, the ones that popped up about three or four times a season every year until the day he was actually fired.

Those are a lot of fun, especially within the context of THIS abomination of a thread.

In the "Fire Tortarella" threads, people said they missed Renney. People actually said they "missed" Tom Renney. Now in this thread, we have people stating that they not only "miss" Tortarella and his d-bag ways, but they think the players might "miss" him as well.

In those threads I always said I liked Torts, but don't let that ruin your perfectly good strawman.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Why did you like him? Because he had a nice head of hair? He was from your hometown?

Its not even "liking" Tortorella for me. Ive liked every coach the Rangers have had post-lockout. I dont think a single one of them massively underachieved with the slop that was handed to them by Sather.

AV has a tougher job than his predecessors. He is under a mandate to produce exciting, wide open, skill-based hockey. Thats what Glen wants. Thats what he thinks will make this team successful. He is an idiot.

Pretty soon, each coach realizes that going into a shell and counter-punching is the way to win more hockey games.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

1. No one thinks that the players miss him.
2. His "d-bags" ways worked as he was able to get every ounce of success from a not very talented team.
3. The Toronto game aside, you are telling that you like what you see in front of you?
4. Poor fundamentals are a sign of a poorly coached team. Unpreparedness is a sign of a poorly coached team. Lack of effort are a sign of a poorly coached team.
5. Say what you want, but aside from some exceptions, I have not seen the level of heartless crap that is being shown on the ice since the Ron Low days. And AV is the man behind the bench. Not Torts.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
TB, on #4... the Rangers puck fundamentals were AWFUL under Tortorella. Simply awful. And sometimes, their preparedness was pretty bad (Tortorella even admitted that to the be the case in the Bruins series). So, were the Rangers poorly coached under Tortorella too?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
TB, on #4... the Rangers puck fundamentals were AWFUL under Tortorella. Simply awful. And sometimes, their preparedness was pretty bad (Tortorella even admitted that to the be the case in the Bruins series). So, were the Rangers poorly coached under Tortorella too?
Whatever poor things they did with the puck, they did defend and did not give the puck away with such regularity.

As for Boston, the Bruins were just that much better.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
How did Vancouver defend on when we scored 5 goals on them including a Chris Kreider hat trick around a month ago?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm not sure the promised land was the major reason for the coaching change. Torts reportedly wore out his welcome in NY just like he did in Tampa and will probably do the same eventually in Van. Jay Feaster who is a good friend of Torts even understood and acknowledged that.

You can only fiercely berate people so much before they start to get upset and or tune a person out.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
The core nonsense was that a coaching change (or any coach, really) would lead the Rangers to the promised land.

44611193.jpg

44611289.jpg

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Whatever poor things they did with the puck, they did defend and did not give the puck away with such regularity.

As for Boston, the Bruins were just that much better.

They gave the puck away constantly in the neutral zone. The difference was that they immediately collapsed into a defensive shell whenever it happened.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
They gave the puck away constantly in the neutral zone. The difference was that they immediately collapsed into a defensive shell whenever it happened.

If you count failing to clear the puck up the boards as a "give away", then they gave the puck away in the defensive zone frequently as well.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Ducks 9 Torts 1

Since October the Rangers have played just as well as the Canucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad