Speculation: How Many Players Now Regret the Tortorella Firing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Yep coaches should never get praise or blame for anything. Teams might as well hire a bum off the street. Thanks for the words of wisdom BRB.

And then there are the ones like you who are completely ignorant to the fact that the majority of what happens on the ice has nothing to do with the coach.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Complaining about complaining? Ok.

Welcome friend.

You offended?

Everything the guy you quoted said is true... You guys turn on our players/coaches WAY too quickly. And the crazy thing is that you never learn after dudes get through their slumps or whatever the case may be. It's like this: "OK, Nash is out of his slump but Hank just had a bad game so let's talk about trading HIM now!"

Wolfy*

With the way Torts behaved last night, when he went into Flames locker room during the first intermission and tried to fight their coaches, I'm really glad the idiot is gone.

And players like Kreider and Zucc wouldn't shine like they do now if Torts was still here.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I was expecting some moaning about bringing about Torts after that scuffle he had. He brought in toughness and grit, which is greatly appreciated here. Good to see it's the opposite.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
And then there are the ones like you who are completely ignorant to the fact that the majority of what happens on the ice has nothing to do with the coach.

I'm not saying most of it has to do with the coach, but if the coach had nothing to do with it then they wouldn't be making the money that they do.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I have long thought Torts is a phony egotistical jerk. He is like a little poodle. Non stop barking with no bite. He is a 150 pound guy that acts all tough knowing that nobody will call him on it because he is a joke. He never has to do his own fighting. I wish somebody would have knocked him on his butt last night. They should have let Clint Malarchuck get at Torts last night when he took his everybody look at me act outside the Calgary locker room

Mr Atoz*

I have long thought Torts is a phony egotistical jerk. He is like a little poodle. Non stop barking with no bite. He is a 150 pound guy that acts all tough knowing that nobody will call him on it because he is a joke. He never has to do his own fighting. I wish somebody would have knocked him on his butt last night. They should have let Clint Malarchuck get at Torts last night when he took his everybody look at me act outside the Calgary locker room

Maybe someone that uses the name NickyFotiu shouldn't be calling someone else a fake tough guy? :laugh:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Maybe someone that uses the name NickyFotiu shouldn't be calling someone else a fake tough guy? :laugh:

Why is that? Because Nicky was one of my favorite players? He was a huge crowd favorite because there was nothing fake about him. He came in and was the Rangers policeman in an era when teams like the Flyers and Bruins were beating the crap out of the Rangers. He was from NY and never forgot his roots. He would take a bucket of pucks before each home game and toss them to the fans.

Nick Fotiu is the opposite of that phony chihuahua named Torts

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
I call ********.

If this fanbase can stick through the god-forsaken years of 1998-2004, they're a damn loyal fanbase.

That still doesn't say much, really.

The Knicks sucked harder and longer, too, but the fanbase remained. Even with that said, our fanbase can get really fickle at times to a fault.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009

:laugh: what a joke. So what you're saying is you're upset Torts didn't actually throw a punch last night? If he did then he wouldn't be that "little poodle" you're now *****ing about. I bet if he did then you'd be *****ing about him for some other reason. You'd call him out for that too, because it doesn't matter what he does, you just don't like the man because he's universally respected as a great NHL hockey coach and you can't understand why you can't think on the level that the experts do. Torts isn't phony, read anything anyone has ever written about him during his playing days. Doesn't matter that he was small, he'd hit you in the mouth. I bet he'd beat you up at the bus stop even today. ;)

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
That he had only 1 assistant and practiced the powerplay sparingly, at best, was incomprehensible considering how poor the results.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
That still doesn't say much, really.

The Knicks sucked harder and longer, too, but the fanbase remained. Even with that said, our fanbase can get really fickle at times to a fault.

There's a difference between back and forth HF Boards fans who hate Hank after one bad goal, and the people that must secretly sell their kidneys on the black market to afford to fill up MSG every year.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
:laugh: what a joke. So what you're saying is you're upset Torts didn't actually throw a punch last night? If he did then he wouldn't be that "little poodle" you're now *****ing about. I bet if he did then you'd be *****ing about him for some other reason. You'd call him out for that too, because it doesn't matter what he does, you just don't like the man because he's universally respected as a great NHL hockey coach and you can't understand why you can't think on the level that the experts do. Torts isn't phony, read anything anyone has ever written about him during his playing days. Doesn't matter that he was small, he'd hit you in the mouth. I bet he'd beat you up at the bus stop even today. ;)

Kel nice to see you posting again. It seems you mainly post to defend Torts. He can do no wrong ever...

Look I had no problem with Torts actions on the bench after the brawl. He had every right to be mad. But to go to the Flames lockerroom after the 1st...that's just plain stupid. Keep your damn composure. Its the Calgary Flames. They are not worth the time of day. He set a terrible example by going that far. 20 minutes of the 1st went by and he still couldn't cool down? That's just sad.

Kel Varnsen

Sep 27, 2009
Kel nice to see you posting again. It seems you mainly post to defend Torts. He can do wrong ever...

Look I had no problem with Torts actions on the bench after the brawl. He had every right to be mad. But to go to the Flames lockerroom after the 1st...that's just plain stupid. Keep your damn composure. Its the Calgary Flames. They are not worth the time of day. He set a terrible example by going that far. 20 minutes of the 1st went by and he still couldn't cool down? That's just sad.

I'm not saying at all that going to the Flames locker room was the right thing to do. It was the wrong thing to do just for the fact that it might subject him to a suspension. But honestly, if he avoids that I don't really give half a **** that he did that.

Here's the thing with Torts, he's extraordinarily passionate. That means he's going to sometimes make mistakes in the heat of it. But I'll take those because of everything else you get with it. If you remove the passion, you remove the mistakes, but you also remove what makes Torts Torts.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'm not saying at all that going to the Flames locker room was the right thing to do. It was the wrong thing to do just for the fact that it might subject him to a suspension. But honestly, if he avoids that I don't really give half a **** that he did that.

Here's the thing with Torts, he's extraordinarily passionate. That means he's going to sometimes make mistakes in the heat of it. But I'll take those because of everything else you get with it. If you remove the passion, you remove the mistakes, but you also remove what makes Torts Torts.

But Kel you just cannot do that. It was wrong. I can accept stupid mistakes like calling out Hagelin in the middle of a playoff game on a national broadcast (even that is bad). What he did was stupid and childish. He did his talking on the bench and he couldve saved the rest for the media. Bob Hartley was a coward. He should've left it at that. Who cares about Hartley though. Who cares about the Flames.

Kel Varnsen

Sep 27, 2009
But Kel you just cannot do that. It was wrong. I can accept stupid mistakes like calling out Hagelin in the middle of a playoff game on a national broadcast (even that is bad). What he did was stupid and childish. He did his talking on the bench and he couldve saved the rest for the media. Bob Hartley was a coward. He should've left it at that. Who cares about Hartley though. Who cares about the Flames.

The Hagelin thing was taken way out of context. Go back and watch the full thing. He said he loved him and he did everything else well in the quote. He also said he "stinks" with a smile, he was half joking. He still gave him PP time after that so it's obvious he didn't actually mean he stinks.

As for the flames stuff, again, the only reason I think it was a bad thing is that he opened himself up for a possible suspension. Other than that, I don't see anything so bad about it. It was wrong, but not terribly wrong. So he went over to the flames locker room. So? Who cares? I don't.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Unlike you I'm not upset at all. Torts made a fool of himself once again. That makes me laugh a lot not get upset. Torts would have zero chance of beating me up. You show you have just as much sense as he does to make that kind of blanket statement without knowing 1 bit about my own history never mind size. Only in your Torts obsessed mind would you consider 150 pound Torts some sort of fighter that anyone should fear. Unlike the Calgary players who showed amazing restraint I would knock him on his ass. The thing is Torts only does his poodle act in situations where he knows it is unlikely he would get hit. He is the ultimate "hold me back" kind of poodle. He puts on a phony tough guy act except he never backs it up himself. He sends goons out to fight. Most of the NHL coaches would kick his butt including AV. Last season Adam Oates even said as much and Oates was far from a fighter. Be honest for a change. When The Rangers played Torts who were you rooting for?

Kel Varnsen

Sep 27, 2009
Unlike you I'm not upset at all. Torts made a fool of himself once again. That makes me laugh a lot not get upset. Torts would have zero chance of beating me up. You show you have just as much sense as he does to make that kind of statement without knowing 1 bit about my own history never mind size. Only in your Torts obsessed mind would you consider Torts some fighter to be feared. Unlike the Calgary players who showed amazing restraint I would knock him on his ass. The thing is Torts only does his poodle act in situations where he knows it is unlikely he would get hit. He puts on a phony tough guy act except he never backs it up himself. He sends goons out to fight. Most of the NHL coaches would kick his butt including AV. Last season Adam Oates even said as much and Oates was far from a fighter. Be honest for a change. When The Rangers played Torts who were you rooting for?

When Torts talks tough he's a poodle, when Oates talks tough he's just being honest. Try again.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
When Torts talks tough he's a poodle, when Oates talks tough he's just being honest. Try again.

Oates wasn't trying to talk tough. He was responding to Torts lame tough guy poodle act. Go ahead make a fool of yourself again. Tell us how the 5-8 150 pound 55 year old Torts would beat up 200 pound Adam Oates. Or AV or anyone. Maybe he could take you on but he is a poodle.

Kel Varnsen

Sep 27, 2009
Oates wasn't trying to talk tough. He was responding to Torts lame tough guy poodle act. Go ahead make a fool of yourself again. Tell us how the 5-8 150 pound 55 year old Torts would beat up 200 pound Adam Oates. Or AV or anyone. Maybe he could take you on but he is a poodle.

Read an article. You're just misinformed. And you seem to not understand that bigger doesn't mean tougher. Those are two different concepts.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1154969

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/John+Tortorella+Start+with+toughness+tenacity/8578376/story.html

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Read an article. You're just misinformed. And you seem to not understand that bigger doesn't mean tougher. Those are two different concepts.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1154969

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/John+Tortorella+Start+with+toughness+tenacity/8578376/story.html

Sorry not buying the puff pieces about a one year "career" 30 years ago in Sweden 5th division lol. He is a poodle. He talks tough and never backs it up. Instead he sends goons out to fight. He has that Bobby Clarke quality.

All you do is bash the Rangers and slurp all over Torts. If Torts said the moon was made of cheese you would be here telling us about how great a grilled cheese sandwich you made from part of the moon.

Mr Atoz*

Why is that? Because Nicky was one of my favorite players? He was a huge crowd favorite because there was nothing fake about him. He came in and was the Rangers policeman in an era when teams like the Flyers and Bruins were beating the crap out of the Rangers. He was from NY and never forgot his roots. He would take a bucket of pucks before each home game and toss them to the fans.

Nick Fotiu is the opposite of that phony chihuahua named Torts

Damn, some people just don't get it when it's staring them in the face. :shakehead

gardenparty

Oct 21, 2011
Wow, Mr Atoz, are you implying Nicky Fotiu was a fake tough guy?!? Nothing could be further from the truth. Time for a little NY Rangers history lesson. Just watch this great profile on the man. He epitomized heart and determination - and was a native New Yorker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrpsUkLS2Lo

As for Torts, we're far better off without that crazy circus sideshow. Whether it's popping off to another team's coach during a game, being rude and insolent to the media, or repeatedly saying Hags "stinks" on the power play, who needs him? Besides, I really like the progress we're seeing with AV, especially on offense.

Kel Varnsen

Sep 27, 2009
Wow, Mr Atoz, are you implying Nicky Fotiu was a fake tough guy?!? Nothing could be further from the truth. Time for a little NY Rangers history lesson. Just watch this great profile on the man. He epitomized heart and determination - and was a native New Yorker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrpsUkLS2Lo

As for Torts, we're far better off without that crazy circus sideshow. Whether it's popping off to another team's coach during a game, being rude and insolent to the media, or repeatedly saying Hags "stinks" on the power play, who needs him? Besides, I really like the progress we're seeing with AV, especially on offense.

He meant the guy posting under the name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad