Speculation: How Many Players Now Regret the Tortorella Firing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Atoz*

If the team weren't playing so horribly this would seem to be a ridiculous premise. But by most accounts a large portion of the team don't seem to be trying. How can you be an established NHL player, go into a season with a coach with a winning history, and not try? Did the Rangers 'need' a tyrant? Is Vigneault a bringer of a failed system or a soft touch that the players don't respect? Is this a case of be happy with what you have because the alternative could be worse? If we travel back in time would the snipes at Tortorella disappear? Did they need a bad parent? Or is confusion really masquerading as not putting the effort in?

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
"We're not the most talented group in the world, but the thing that is going to carry us through is to play as a team," Rangers coach John Tortorella said.

For us to be successful, we have to have the energy and the work ethic,†said Dubinsky, who won nine of 12 draws despite his spot on Anisimov’s left wing. “We’re not going to get by on talent alone.â€

This team does not espouse the same mentality epitomized in the two quotes above. They don't look like a team that is capable of or wants to outwork their opponents.

It's disturbing enough that their work ethic from Torts hasn't really carried over. But many of these players are in contract years so one would think that they would be self-motivated. It's entirely possible that they need a coach lighting a fire under their ***** to get them going.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Dan Girardi, because Torts hockey is the only hockey he's capable of playing.

That's about it if you ask me.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
torts-miss-me-yet_zps66c26e9b.jpg

ChipAyten

NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY
Dec 19, 2008
Lawn Guyland
none, Torts was basically a bully behind the bench and that only works on a high school team. Professional players don't respond to his kind of degrading.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I think it was a premature move.

I think there were several moves made that weren't thought out terribly well.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

I agree. Torts was the scapegoat, when honestly, they didn't need a scapegoat. It was a lockout shortened season and they made it to the second round and lost to superior opponent. They came back from being down 3-2 in the 1st round and rallied to win the series in 7. That's a positive.

I was always of the opinion that Torts deserved AT LEAST one more season, since last season was such a weird one.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

I do think torts had a style that worked for this roster even though it was boring but come on Nash, Callahan and hagelin missing time sucks combined w the fact Pyatt, pouliott, zuc , asham, powe etc are just not very good. Bright side they are ufa , crap side is it forces kids that may not be ready into nhl action

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
none, Torts was basically a bully behind the bench and that only works on a high school team. Professional players don't respond to his kind of degrading.

We can debate about whether or not Torts lost the team towards the end of his tenure, but you cannot possibly convince me that the team did not respond positively to Torts in the 11-12 season.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
We had 5 points after 7 games last season, this season we have 4. And obviously scoring has been an issue, but having 3/5 of last seasons best goal scorers out of the line up surely hasn't helped. The only part that worries me is the defence, that has been intact but has allowed an awful amount of goals. And the defence include Hank of course. I'd wait another 20 games before concluding fail of system/coaching style.

Edit: I missed "player" in the title....

But I think they like the change of scenery, I guess they prefer having AV over Torts in the locker room after those humiliations...

Last edited:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I do think torts had a style that worked for this roster even though it was boring but come on Nash, Callahan and hagelin missing time sucks combined w the fact Pyatt, pouliott, zuc , asham, powe etc are just not very good. Bright side they are ufa , crap side is it forces kids that may not be ready into nhl action

They stunk when Nash and Callahan were here and there were big injuries when Torts was here, including Staal.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

They stunk when Nash and Callahan were here and there were big injuries when Torts was here, including Staal.

UnderPSI

Old Salty Dog
Sep 6, 2007
New Jersey

Bully? Yes, but to claim it only works on a HS team? C'mon. He got the most out of this team, esp 11-12. We all knew this team lacked talent, and we still do. He got this team to over achieve. Sure he could of handle certain things differently but what he did for this team and also got Sather into building a core was huge.

Its amazing some of the hatred he still gets on this board. Some is very deserved but he was far from one of the worst coaches this team has had.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Hindsight is foresight. ..

Torts like any coach has a shelf life and his time with this group was done. After a period of time you only have contempt for a personality like his. The 11-12 team was torts executed perfectly but people with an eye for the game realized the style the nyr played could never be sustainable. They still lacked talent.

Tortorella seems like a better fit for a team that has its act together like Vancouver. Our lineup isn't very talented currently. We started the season down 2 and stepan situation. Now we have injuries to our top players.

Youth appears to be faltering and the drafting and development of the NYR looks very suspect. To me this is most alarming. AV might not be the right fit for this group. One extreme to the other. Caveman to river hockey.

Laviolette makes much more sense for this group to build on. I don't like the Columbus alumni here. All they know how to do is lose.

UnderPSI

Old Salty Dog
Sep 6, 2007
New Jersey
Laviolette makes much more sense for this group to build on. I don't like the Columbus alumni here. All they know how to do is lose.

AV was the guy I wanted for who was available. I do agree that Lav would be a better fit with this roster and the rest of your quoted statement (aside from J Moore).

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
I was behind the tortorella firing because of his stubbornness and unwillingness to adapt.

I loved his accountability but realized he was very overbearing.

There are no strong leaders on this team. Callahan is too meek. This doesn't look like a room that can self govern and this is why AV might be a disaster here. That and the fact that we stink.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
For what it's worth Todd White constantly says on Ottawa radio that Torts acts completely different behind closed doors compared to what we see on TV. He says the majority of players, including himself, thought he was a great guy and really liked him as a coach. Not saying that the team regrets anything or that AV is a bad coach/hire by any means, just that Torts, according to White, has an undeserved bad reputation.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
Just caught a snippet of it last night on the news, but I guess before the islander/canucks game a reporter had asked Tortorella what he thought of the ranger struggles.

He said something along the lines of "It wouldn't be fair for him to comment on a team that he isn't coaching, but that he loved his time with the organization, loves the area and when all is said and done he will move back to the new York"

I've said it a few times this offseason, but I think a lot of fans took for granted just how far this team was able to go with Torts as coach. I also felt like the rangers under him showed up most nights and if they weren't in line he would call a timeout to get them going.

The game against the devils I thought was really pathetic, nothing about it felt like a rivalry game to me. Seemed like there was a lot of players going through the motions. No one was hitting, and no one was trying to do any thing to get the team going. It was very ugly.... I know I'm getting sidetracked here, but nothing would surprise me if this team didn't get near as far as they did under Torts. Maybe the players started to tune him out and get tired of him, but as far as I'm concerned these players are playing pathetic right now so its time for them to show up.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
For what it's worth Todd White constantly says on Ottawa radio that Torts acts completely different behind closed doors compared to what we see on TV. He says the majority of players, including himself, thought he was a great guy and really liked him as a coach. Not saying that the team regrets anything or that AV is a bad coach/hire by any means, just that Torts, according to White, has an undeserved bad reputation.

White played for the Rangers for a few months in 10-11.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The only player who expressed any love for Tortorella was Girardi. He said Tortorella was a great guy. The other ones didn't say that. Some of the longer term Rangers said they appreciate how Tortorella helped them and that's it. Henrik might have been the only one to call him. Richards called Tortorella but the call was never returned. Time to let go.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Don't know about the players, but Tortorella's time was up here. Most of these coaches have a 4/5 year shelf life. Only the great ones or the good ones that win championships, last awhile.

The current group who played under Tortorella, is taking clear advantage of an easier boss. imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad