how many goals does Auston Matthews score this year?

how many goals does Matthews score this year?

• Total voters

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Not looking good so far :sarcasm:

lwDkwFX.gif

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Goals per game played or goal total this season? I'm sure he'll be over 1/2 a goal game but as we all know, He'll play 65-70 games....so 34 goals.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
I honestly have no idea, if everything goes right he could definitely win the rocket. I hope not, but time will tell.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I think anyone voting over 55 is nuts. Even assuming he stays healthy, ya think he's gonna score more than Ovi typically scores? C'mon now, I know Leafs are loaded but that just feels like a big stretch until he actually shows he can produce like that over a full season.

Anyways, voted 40-44 but could see him approaching 50. I do think the injuries are just bad luck and he should stay healthy this year, but with the grind of a full season I think his g/gp drops a bit.

You're basically saying his goal scoring hasn't improved since his rookie season. Personally, I think that's more nuts.

Reactions: Benn14

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You're basically saying his goal scoring hasn't improved since his rookie season. Personally, I think that's more nuts.
I mean his pace over 82 games has been right around ~40 goals so it actually hasn’t improve a whole lot since his rookie season (so far).

I think he gets 43.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think anyone voting over 55 is nuts. Even assuming he stays healthy, ya think he's gonna score more than Ovi typically scores? C'mon now, I know Leafs are loaded but that just feels like a big stretch until he actually shows he can produce like that over a full season.

Anyways, voted 40-44 but could see him approaching 50. I do think the injuries are just bad luck and he should stay healthy this year, but with the grind of a full season I think his g/gp drops a bit.

Matthews is a better 5v5 goal scorer than Ovie, so it's not unreasonable to suggest he makes further gains on the PP...

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I mean his pace over 82 games has been right around ~40 goals so it actually hasn’t improve a whole lot since his rookie season (so far).

I think he gets 43.

Wrong, his pace the last 2 years was 45 goals over 82 games. He did score 40 in his rookie season. You seem to be worried about what a healthy Matthews will do. Hope you're not losing too much sleep.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Wrong, his pace the last 2 years was 45 goals over 82 games. He did score 40 in his rookie season. You seem to be worried about what a healthy Matthews will do. Hope you're not losing too much sleep.

Okay so wait... the guy says he thinks Matthews will score up to 44 goals this season, I say he will score 43....

And your point to show that we’re idiots is that he’s paced ONE AND TWO more goals than our guess :laugh:

Ok.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Okay so wait... the guy says he thinks Matthews will score up to 44 goals this season, I say he will score 43....

And your point to show that we’re idiots is that he’s paced ONE AND TWO more goals than our guess :laugh:

Ok.
It's probably because you are acting like he hasn't improved his goal scoring at all which was wrong

Reactions: Sundinisagod

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It's probably because you are acting like he hasn't improved his goal scoring at all which was wrong

“Acting”

He has paced for only 5 more goals since his rookie season.. that is very little improvement. Which is fine because he didn’t have a lot of room to grow.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
“Acting”

He has paced for only 5 more goals since his rookie season.. that is very little improvement. Which is fine because he didn’t have a lot of room to grow.

You originally falsely claimed he was pacing 40 goals the 2 season's he had injuries. Now you're predicting a regression if he stays healthy. I think it's more reasonable to expect an improvement in his 4th season if he stays healthy.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You originally falsely claimed he was pacing 40 goals the 2 season's he had injuries. Now you're predicting a regression if he stays healthy. I think it's more reasonable to expect an improvement in his 4th season if he stays healthy.

1. I said around 40 goals, not 40 goals exactly.

2. Pacing typically goes down the more hockey you play, this has almost always been the case. Matthews has started extremely hot the past two seasons and slowed down more and more as the season went on.

3. Saying he will score 1-2 less goals than the season prior is not predicting a “regression”. If a player is within a couple of points of their expected production, it’s not a regression, they just missed 2-3 more nets than the season prior. Players stats don’t just keep going up every single season, it fluctuates for a variety of reasons

Jul 10, 2003
KW
1. I said around 40 goals, not 40 goals exactly.

2. Pacing typically goes down the more hockey you play, this has almost always been the case. Matthews has started extremely hot the past two seasons and slowed down more and more as the season went on.

1. "Around 40 goals" so if I said "he paced around 50 goals" you wouldnt have a problem with that, cool.

2. His pace slowed down because of injuries. If he can stay healthy there is no reason, other than wishful thinking on your part, to believe his pace will slow down. He's gonna have better linemates this season too, and probably more ice team, there is no logic behind predicting a regression.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
1. "Around 40 goals" so if I said "he paced around 50 goals" you wouldnt have a problem with that, cool.

2. His pace slowed down because of injuries. If he can stay healthy there is no reason, other than wishful thinking on your part, to believe his pace will slow down. He's gonna have better linemates this season too, and probably more ice team, there is no logic behind predicting a regression.

No I wouldn’t have an issue.

And you have literally 0 way of proving that. It’s been shown countless times that pace slows down for the vast majority of players every year and the season progresses.

How many players are pacing for career highs at say the 20 game mark and then don’t hit it? Happens every single season.

Sure there’s a logical reason. His pace won’t continue the more he plays like what happens every season, scoring goes back down a bit this season, he misses 2 more nets than the season prior.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
No I wouldn’t have an issue.

And you have literally 0 way of proving that. It’s been shown countless times that pace slows down for the vast majority of players every year and the season progresses.

How many players are pacing for career highs at say the 20 game mark and then don’t hit it? Happens every single season.

Sure there’s a logical reason. His pace won’t continue the more he plays like what happens every season, scoring goes back down a bit this season, he misses 2 more nets than the season prior.

If he only played 20 games you might actually have a point. If you have to use make believe numbers to prove a point, you probably dont have a leg to stand on. All signs are pointing towards an increase. Nothing left to say for now, feel free to revisit this when the season is over and Matthews has won the Richard.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If he only played 20 games you might actually have a point. If you have to use make believe numbers to prove a point, you probably dont have a leg to stand on. All signs are pointing towards an increase. Nothing left to say for now, feel free to revisit this when the season is over and Matthews has won the Richard.

Make believe numbers...? Why don’t you check some players stats after the 20 game mark on the season and let me know if they hit that total?

Matthews was on pace for what? Like 70G and 130pts after 20 games or so? What did his pace end up as? The more he played, the more his pace kept dropping.

Pace typically goes down the more you play.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Make believe numbers...? Why don’t you check some players stats after the 20 game mark on the season and let me know if they hit that total?

Matthews was on pace for what? Like 70G and 130pts after 20 games or so? What did his pace end up as? The more he played, the more his pace kept dropping.

Pace typically goes down the more you play.

But why are you using a 20 game sample size, when his pace is based on a 60 something game sample size? No need to answer, we both know why.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad