OT: How many Boston teams are you a fan of?

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Bruins ONLY!

Growing up as a kid in Canada the first sport I loved was hockey and my Dad liked both Boston and Chicago and hated the habs, so I casually cheered for the Bruins and Black hawks until I saw a kid from Parry Sound step on the ice!.......I quickly kicked Chicago to the curb and became a die hard Bruins fan for life.

Do not like the Pats at all because I became a Cowboys fan in the 70's mostly because of Roger Staubach and Randy White.

Pittsburgh Pirates fan as a kid because of Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell until the Blue Jays came along, but I still like the Pirates.

Used to like watching the 76ers because of Dr. J, but not a big fan of the NBA anymore, although I'd like to see the Raptors do well.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Bruins, though defected to NY Rangers while living in NY for ten years. Returned home and begged forgiveness and became STH for 15 years.

Red Sox #2. Originally Boston Braves fan 'till they broke my heart and moved to Milwaukee.

Patriots though they don't belong to Boston. Saw them as Boston Patriots at Braves Field.

Celtics at least for the last fifteen minutes of a game.

Fixed that for you. :laugh:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Bruins/Red Sox/Patriots/Celtics

I root for all Boston teams but in that order
Football was the only team Boston born and bred fans used to have out of town allegiances to,and that was because of poor Patriots teams. I have many Boston friends that were Giants and Cowboys fans while they were growing up,and now are Patriots zealots. I remind them.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I like em all although the Sox our an outside one for me, I barely follow them and couldn't tell you much of what they're all about

I know a decent amount about the Celtics and like them enough mainly because of a good friend of mine who loves them as much as I love the Bruins

I love the pats but also don't follow them closely enough, just really only time for one sport in my life and it'll always be hockey

Reactions: Melrose Munch

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
All four.

As a kid, 1. Celtics, 2. Red Sox, 3. Bruins, 4. Patriots
My dad's really only a basketball fan and it was my first love. Michael Jordan and terrible officiating in the 1990s ruined it for me for many years. I've enjoyed watching the Celtics quite a bit again the last 15 years or so. Being a Sox fan is just a given if you're from here and not raised by savages. My folks are both from Brooklyn. Doesn't matter. I was born the day after game 7 in '67 and that haunted me like a poltergeist until 2004. Absolutely zero encouragement from my family in developing any budding interest in hockey. I just liked it instantly and, I mean, Bobby Orr. But the folks just weren't into it. The Pats were dreadful, and I liked the Steelers a lot, because I was a dumb kid who saw them win in those awesome black and gold uniforms. Football was also not something my folks were into.

Today, 1. Bruins, 2. Patriots, 3. Celtics, 4. Red Sox
Hockey is easily my favorite sport. I have no idea why. It just is. I'm mesmerized by it.
I've been a Pats STH for 20 years. The best 20 years. Ever.
The NBA has terrible flaws, but there are some really good teams who play really entertaining, fundamentally sound basketball, and the Celtics are one of them and have been for over a decade.
The pathos of the long-suffering Sox fan is gone. They've been one of the most competitive teams for almost 20 years and have won three World Series. 2013 and the Marathon connection are equally special to me as 2004. I'm at complete Red Sox peace forever. I want them to win and I've enjoyed the beginning of thus season immensely, but because of 2004 and 2013, I will never be able to feel as passionately again.

I also happily root for virtually all New England Olympians.

I'm totally indifferent to the Revs, as is my wife, but she's actually a soccer fan, unlike me.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Bruins far and away number one.
New York Giants fan, although the NFL as a whole is off putting most of the time. Cannot stand the Patriots, lets just leave it at that.
Providence Bruins fan since I was a wee little lad and they had recently come into the league.
Red Sox I like to see win mostly because my brother and father love them. I only watch maybe 10 games a year, none start to finish. Love the drama and sports radio talk about them though. More entertaining than the sport itself.
Celtics are just kind of there. Basketball does little for me. Rather them win than any other NBA team though.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Football was the only team Boston born and bred fans used to have out of town allegiances to,and that was because of poor Patriots teams. I have many Boston friends that were Giants and Cowboys fans while they were growing up,and now are Patriots zealots. I remind them.
I had a NY Giants helmet ad a kid and loved the Giants early on

Tarkenton to Homer Jones .....TOUCHDOWN!!

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Root for all of them but only truly care about Bruins and Pats... and Bruins are far and away #1. NBA I can't get into and am content watching the final 5 minutes of playoff games and same thing with baseball... just such unbelievably slow and boring sport... used to be a big fan but just can't do it anymore.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I had a NY Giants helmet ad a kid and loved the Giants early on

Tarkenton to Homer Jones .....TOUCHDOWN!!

Actually got to see one of those at the old Yankee Stadium. Very cool place to see a football game.

Bruins fan first, Sox next. Hated the Celtics as a kid (they were too good), not a Pats fan at all.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Only the Bruins. I don't really like basketball, and being from Europe I have no interest in baseball and (American) football - to be honest, I don't even know the rules of these sports. But the Bruins I follow more than is healthy, which often means staying up until 3-4 am to seethe games.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
All of them. However I only actively follow Bruins and Pats. Bruins about 100x more than the Pats though.
Will bandwagon for the others... My liking after Bruins and Pats goes Red Sox......... Celtics..........................................Revolution.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Actually got to see one of those at the old Yankee Stadium. Very cool place to see a football game.

Bruins fan first, Sox next. Hated the Celtics as a kid (they were too good), not a Pats fan at all.
I loved them and whtn I'd listen to Sports Huddle as a kid rag on them I was 'huh':laugh:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
All of them. However I only actively follow Bruins and Pats. Bruins about 100x more than the Pats though.
Will bandwagon for the others... My liking after Bruins and Pats goes Red Sox......... Celtics..........................................Revolution.
just a question, are you american born or you european and picked up the other teams? I find hockey fans from other areas sometimes pick up the others teams after the hockey team. Not the case in thisthread however.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
just a question, are you american born or you european and picked up the other teams? I find hockey fans from other areas sometimes pick up the others teams after the hockey team. Not the case in thisthread however.

Its mostly expats over here that like hockey. I think I have run into exactly one hockey fan in 2 years of living in England. The rest are almost exclusively Canadians, I have yet to run into a fellow Yank into hockey. Could be different in London though where most Americans over here live and where I don’t.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

European born and raised. Though I lived & worked all over the world.

Been a hockey fan since I was a little kid (my Swiss team is currently in the finals here. Down 1-0 in the series. Ugh), moved to the Boston area and lived there many years when I was married to a local girl.
Picked up the Bruins as my natural sports love then (it helped that they have the same colors as my Swiss team).
I have natural interest in football (NOT soccer) too, because I played it in Europe. So it was easy to love the Pats too, plus my ex wife is a huge Pats fan and she was very often talking about them.
Her family is all old school Red Sox fans, so that percolated through me. Celtics... Meh, not a fan of the game itself. Revolution... I like soccer, but the MLS level is pretty low, so can't get too much into it. So I like the Celtics and Revolution because they represent Boston.

That's pretty much all. I hope it answered your question. :)

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
No Cannons fans, eh?

I had season tickets for the Boston Blazers when they existed.

$72 for a season. Days where Bruins played in the afternoon and Blazers at night were...long.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
As a kid to young adult all of them.

Now just the Bs.

NBA - run by the players, only need to watch the last 10 minutes, diff treatment for stars, refs have to much power
NFL - 11 avg minutes of action per game, large % of players are thugs, local drama with Pats
MLB - its a lifestyle, I don't have the time, its like watching a drama and hoping it has a great ending - its not exactly an action movie

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Bruins, Steelers
Red Sox
European soccer
Celtics

I hear what your saying. Growing up in the day, most people in my area were Steelers, Cowboys, and Giants fans. Only remember one Patriots fan at the time. Some of the older crowd switched over to the Pats now. That’s ok. Nothing wrong with that. I only rib them a little. Other than being a Steeler fan, I was a hard core New England fan of everything, as it should be growing up here. Celtics have dropped off due to the NBA and it’s style. Can’t watch it as much. I try. Loved the Sox. Now, I’ll watch but barely make the whole game. I thank the front office and owners for that. Soccer has started to get my attention a lot more. I find myself following the European leagues only. In fact, I watched it more than the Celtics yesterday at the bar. They had everything on. Won’t watch MLS.
One last thing. I’ve been blessed to see all my teams win the the championship of their leagues. The last one was Portugal national soccer team. Cheers everyone.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Bruins only and I was born and raised in RI. All the other local teams can fly a kite. We were the last ones on the title wagon in 2011 so it was fun to be derided and crapped on being a Bruins fan then suddenly everyone in town is a hockey expert who loved “Ray Neely” and “Cam Bourque”.

Patriots were always blacked out so I rooted for Miami because they were on tv more than NE. Patriots might as well been from Nova Scotia based on how often they were regarded. All my classmates growing up were Cowboys, Steelers, Forty-Niners, Redskins, Raiders etc fans....so needless to say all the Patriots bumper stickers popping up after 2002 were curious.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I had season tickets for the Boston Blazers when they existed.

$72 for a season. Days where Bruins played in the afternoon and Blazers at night were...long.
I did the Bruins/Blazers double header days maybe 7 times......They were fun, but the next days were HARD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad