how long does brendan smith have?

RedWingsNow*

Idea i brought up during a long rant.

Should we move Smith to forward?

RedWingsNow*

I'm not even sure we should ever do it. If we do, we should probably not do it unless we know that XO is ready or something. Like, if Ericsson is out for 3 months and XO plays a regular shift for 8 weeks and looks good, maybe we try Smith at forward when everyone comes back -- IF Smith still looks off

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm not even sure we should ever do it. If we do, we should probably not do it unless we know that XO is ready or something. Like, if Ericsson is out for 3 months and XO plays a regular shift for 8 weeks and looks good, maybe we try Smith at forward when everyone comes back -- IF Smith still looks off

Which is actually kind of how it happened with Burns if I remember right.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Idea i brought up during a long rant.

Should we move Smith to forward?

Like TZE mentioned, he's only 50+ into his NHL career so that's way too early for this kind of desperation move. He's not nearly as far along as I had hoped as a player, but other guys got a lot more rope than 55ish games to become a lineup mainstay.

I'm not even sure I want Babs to consider a drastic position change anyway... makes me cringe thinking that he'll just move Cleary back to D to utilize his alleged defensively sound, heavy game for a few more years.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Because Kindl and Dekeyser aren't train wrecks on defense. Generally if I don't notice a defenseman much, they're fine by me. I don't require that defensemen get points. But if I notice a defenseman making stupid mistakes and giving up unnecessary scoring chance after unnecessary scoring chance, game after game, then he'd better be scoring points to make up for it otherwise I see no use for him.

And I'm willing to throw Quincey and Lashoff under the bus so don't bother using them as examples.

Like I said before, I'm willing (though reluctant) to give Smith the rest of the season to turn it around. But every game he's making my patience wear thinner.

I'm slowly working into the camp that we just expected too much from Smith, and even more so from Kindl. I went back and looked at Kindl's production at GR, and it doesn't scream a great offensive D. It was well below what Kronwall did in GR, and was about on par with what Ericsson did - and look at how well Ericsson's production has translated to the NHL. Smith was better, but still not on Kronwall's level there.

Production in GR isn't everything, but it's not like these guys didn't have time to establish themselves in GR.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I'm slowly working into the camp that we just expected too much from Smith, and even more so from Kindl. I went back and looked at Kindl's production at GR, and it doesn't scream a great offensive D. It was well below what Kronwall did in GR, and was about on par with what Ericsson did - and look at how well Ericsson's production has translated to the NHL. Smith was better, but still not on Kronwall's level there.

Production in GR isn't everything, but it's not like these guys didn't have time to establish themselves in GR.

It's still way too early to drawn any conclusions on his future. But this may be true. We all figured since he was a 1st round pick that had been developed for many years, coveted by other teams, untouchable in trades that when he finally got his shot he would gradually become an excellent offensively dynamic d-man. He still may become that. I'm in the camp that believe his growth and development was stunted with that extra year in GR. Let's be patient with Brendan. If he's still making the same dumb mistakes and not producing by half-way through next season.... :cry:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It's still way too early to drawn any conclusions on his future. But this may be true. We all figured since he was a 1st round pick that had been developed for many years, coveted by other teams, untouchable in trades that when he finally got his shot he would gradually become an excellent offensively dynamic d-man. He still may become that. I'm in the camp that believe his growth and development was stunted with that extra year in GR. Let's be patient with Brendan. If he's still making the same dumb mistakes and not producing by half-way through next season.... :cry:

I'm not giving up on the guy, either, and I'd love to see him with a different partner (any partner). I think I'm just tempering my expectations now, though.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Winger98;73180415[B said:
]I'm not giving up on the guy, either, and I'd love to see him with a different partner (any partner).[/B] I think I'm just tempering my expectations now, though.

Yeah, I have no idea why Babcock keeps pairing him with Quincey despite all the evidence that it's not a good duo. Put him with DD or maybe Big E.

Kronwall-DD
Big E - Smith
Kindl-Quincey/Lashoff

Kronwall-Big E
DD-Smith
Kindl-Quincey/Lashoff

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I still believe in Smith. I think he should be given at least another season before we abandon ship. That can change if the Wings have some defensive prospects who look significantly better than Smith when training camp opens up before the start of next season.

I think the game will slow down for him by the end of the season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The problem is we have offensive defenseman (Smith, Kindl) that don't produce any offense (points)

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The problem is we have offensive defenseman (Smith, Kindl) that don't produce any offense (points)

Another reason I wanted the Wings to make a deal for Bouwmeester. Yeah, his defensive game might have been less than stellar in Calgary, but I think the guy could move the puck well.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan

I know, but that's what i'm hoping will change. Regarding Smith.

The lack of production from the defenseman, just makes the situation with your forwards not producing way more noticeable. It's definitely a big problem.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Another reason I wanted the Wings to make a deal for Bouwmeester. Yeah, his defensive game might have been less than stellar in Calgary, but I think the guy could move the puck well.

Ehh, I know JBo was a popular topic last year, but I think he gets thrown off his game too easily by an effective forecheck, and is overall just soft.

We need a thoroughbred puck mover. Guy like Brian Campbell, Keith Yandle, Lubomir Visnovsky.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I know, but that's what i'm hoping will change. Regarding Smith.

The lack of production from the defenseman, just makes the situation with your forwards not producing way more noticeable. It's definitely a big problem.

I think part of it is the system we are trying to play. Also think there is a lack of support from the forward's, due to having plenty of older bodies that can't get up and down the ice like we would like.

I'm not worried about Smith at all, I don't care that he has 0 pts and is negative. I see him enjoying engaging physically in his own end. I see him sneaking up ice for back-door feeds on rushes at crucial times. I see him doing things we want him to do, he just needs to be with a better partner that gives him more freedom on the ice.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I could see Jay-Bo having a similar fate as Weiss with Detroit.

Red Wings fans -- "Bouwmeester was really good on Florida, imagine how good he would be on team like the Red Wings?!?!" Then he comes here and is underwhelming just like Weiss has been so far.

Bouwmeester really hasn't put up "offensive defenseman" numbers since 2009.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
As far as I'm concerned. The Wings still lose to the Hawks with Jay-Bo. They don't have Mantha. And they wouldn't be any better than slightly over .500 at this point. I'd rather lament not signing Semin, Grabo, Raymond, Vinny etc. And the other mind boggling moves made by management and the coaching staff.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Smith's college scoring hasn't translated at all to the NHL level. Kindl was more of an all around guy in the OHL and AHL, but Smith was supposed to be a dynamic offensive defenseman based on his amateur work.

Where did the hands go? I don't see any offensive instincts whatsoever when this guy has the puck. Is it the fact that they've drilled it into him repeatedly that he has to play some defense and he's afraid of jumping into the play? Because that doesn't seem to be helping his D either, and it's killing his O...

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah, I have no idea why Babcock keeps pairing him with Quincey despite all the evidence that it's not a good duo. Put him with DD or maybe Big E.

Kronwall-DD
Big E - Smith
Kindl-Quincey/Lashoff

Kronwall-Big E
DD-Smith
Kindl-Quincey/Lashoff

I would try DD with Quincey, as Dekeyser's been the only guy paired with Q that didn't look horrible. then just move Kronwall/Smith/Kindl/Ericsson around and see if we can hit on a couple of pairs that work.

Ehh, I know JBo was a popular topic last year, but I think he gets thrown off his game too easily by an effective forecheck, and is overall just soft.

We need a thoroughbred puck mover. Guy like Brian Campbell, Keith Yandle, Lubomir Visnovsky.

I keep wondering if something couldn't be worked out with Florida. there was that rumor they were looking to dump vets, and we have a bunch of guys whose deals expire after this year. Campbell is probably not a possibility, but if they do dump a bunch of their vets, they might need to take a contract or two on just to meet the floor. And Quincey would be a decent short term investment for that purpose.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Campbell's cap hit is massive. I don't see that happening.

I don't either. What I'm saying, though, is that Florida might be a club willing to just absorb a cap hit or two so they are free to make other moves - like dealing guys like Versteeg or Kopecky for picks/prospects.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Even though it would take a alternate reality universe for this to happen. Given that smith and datsyuk seem to "click" to a degree I wouldn't mind him being a winger for dats. Granted our roster mismanagement has screwed us outta this happening this year with 9000 forwards but next year I would be very excited to see this happen for a time (say 10 games).

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
You think Smith would have any trade value for a guy like Kulikov in Florida? I'm just throwing this out there and seeing what anyone thinks :laugh: though I think it might be more of the same except Kulikov has more NHL experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad