how long does brendan smith have?

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
i am one of his detractors. i don't think he has a head for the game and is a little bit lazy. just a 1 or two second delay from daydreaming or whatever he's doing out there is all you need in this league to get beat.

but i'd rather hear from his supporters, and specifically, what would it take to convince you that smith doesn't belong in this league? if he keeps up his current level of play, how much more time does he have? does he get the whole year? half the year? more than this year? or do you think his current level of play has earned him a spot in the lineup? (maybe should be a four option poll)

(mods feel free to merge with any prior b smith threads)

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
He's a young defenseman. They take time to develop. We have seen it with Fischer, Kindl, Ericsson and others. Hell even Lidstrom wasn't Lidstrom for awhile. I don't know how long he gets, I don't know if he will ever develop. I do know a half season with no training camp and a couple weeks into another without a food defense partner to help lead the way is very premature. Would be nice if we had broken him in with lidstrom or was pairing him with someone better than Quincy.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
He needs to try playing in roles that suit his skill set. Taking a guy with good offensive instincts and forcing him to try and be a physical shutdown guy instead is a recipe for failure. Pairing him with Kyle "I'm supposed to be the defensive rock on this pairing but I can't even take care of my own responsibilities, let alone also cover for someone else" Quincey every single game is also setting him up to fail.

Personally, I don't think he'll ever excel in roles like this. Put him in a situation that maximizes his talents and it may well be a completely different story. He's being totally misused.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I don't think Babcock's a big fan of his. I think they'll try to trade him (I'm assuming he was involved in the package they offered for Edler)...

Brandel*

He has only played 50 games in the NHL. He just doesn't seem to work in the system we have him playing, but he's only just started his NHL career, it would not very too difficult for him to mould into a player another team could use. I still believe that if he's used as an ofd, with a dfd partner he can still be a good nhler. He's still young and has potential, and is a fantastic skater. His positioning, awareness and decisions making are a project.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
He has only played 50 games in the NHL. He just doesn't seem to work in the system we have him playing, but he's only just started his NHL career, it would not very too difficult for him to mould into a player another team could use. I still believe that if he's used as an ofd, with a dfd partner he can still be a good nhler. He's still young and has potential, and is a fantastic skater. His positioning, awareness and decisions making are a project.

Yeah, it would just depend on how other GM's and coaches view him and his potential. The Wings defenseman prospects rarely develop quickly so I'm sure other teams see that he could get better. Despite his age, he just hasn't played many NHL games.

I'd think that his value is lower now than it was when he was playing well in the AHL, but I'm sure some other teams would be okay with trying to bring him along- I think he could develop into an effective player in the right role in the right system (0-2 in that regard to date with Detroit).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There is something that makes me think the "Smith looks bad because he's not allowed to play his game" argument...

Who remembers the Brendan Smith we saw in 2011-2012 with Detroit? The guy who came up and had 7 points in 14 games. The guy who looked dynamic offensively, and incredibly nimble, somewhat resembling a young Kronwall?

It's almost unbelievable to me that the guy we saw in the 2011-2012 season is the same guy we have today.

So what's changed? What's the difference?

Is it Brendan? Is it the system? Is it the supporting cast?

I don't know what it is to be honest. He just doesn't look the same at all. Lost defensively. Creates next to nothing offensively. Doesn't look as quick, for whatever reason that may be.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Bottom line is because we had guys like Salei, Commodore, etc etc. taking up time.

It was not till last season after all our retires, that Smith, Kindl, Dekeyser got any time at all.
Quincey joined that year as well, and was developing in our system again.

That is basically everyone BUT Kronwall/Ericsson.

This might take 2 seasons now. It should have been done 1 season before. Find out how they do as the #5 or #6 D-man. Now our #3 and #4 are Kindl and Dekeyser. Trial by fire.

Those 2 are doing well.

Smith and Quincey are not. But i would say at minimum this season, full year.

If smith or quincey slide into -10 to -15 territory as the rest of the team stays where they are... XO will come up. And they will be benched. And eventually 1 of them traded.

Quincey should be on a SHORTER leash IMO. Because he is supposed to know wtf to do. Smith should be press boxed for 10-20 games for the season if he keeps it up. He will get a chance to start next season... and if he continues to crap bricks, he will be put on waivers... and clear- maybe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Smith has no real tradevalue..

I thought more about your post Mindfly, and after giving it some thought, I think you have a fair point.

Quite possible I was wrong.

So I went out to look at some comparable situations.

Jonathan Blum and Thomas Hickey were both taken in the same draft as Smith (2007) in the 1st round. Both 24 years old. Both went from the team they were drafted by, to a new team through waivers.

So my line of thinking was, Smith still has some potential, and teams may be willing to give up an asset to bank on his potential. But after looking around, it's quite possible that is not the case.

Sorry to judge so quickly.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
as of right now, I'm confident that

Quincey > Smith

Maybe for this season. But then you watch their cap hits and room left for improvement, and the scale starts to tip in Smith's favor.

I rather keep Smith around than re-sign Q to another semi-expensive contract. But really, I'm more excited at what's coming up behind him right now. He's got NHL level skills, skating, physique. I'm not sure he has the NHL brain. Maybe he can adapt well enough.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
as of right now, I'm confident that

Quincey > Smith

Kind of unfair though. In the sense that Quincey has gotten the opportunity to play with a different partner to see how that goes. Whereas Smith either gets to play with Quincey or he sits in the box.

When they are both out there together, they are both absolutely equally terrible.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
It's all Prince Fielder's fault. For everything.

You have to imagine Holland would be able to get a nice piece for Smith + Tatar + 1st. I just wish they would trade Tatar already so I can watch him play somewhere.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
It's all Prince Fielder's fault. For everything.

You have to imagine Holland would be able to get a nice piece for Smith + Tatar + 1st. I just wish they would trade Tatar already so I can watch him play somewhere.

But then it comes down to cap room and we don't have any

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
People are clearly forgetting that Ericsson was downright abysmal in his first two seasons. Terrible.

Right, but people are going to have different expectations, since Ericsson was virtually undrafted, whereas Brendan Smith was a 1st round selection.

But your point still relates. Look at Kindl, didn't come into his own until about 26. Also goes to show that defenseman take more time to develop typically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad