how long does brendan smith have?

RedWingsNow*

I would be for this SIMPLY to find out who is the bigger anchor. Smith or Quincey.

Process of elimination :P

99 percent sure Kindl's only minus this year came with Quincey (not including the Smith empty netter)

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think he's got at least a year. Probably two. Detroit won't have better options until then. Even if Ouellet makes it, he's probably gunning for Quincey's spot. Sproul is the guy who could steal Smith's place on the team, and he needs a little time.

Unless they make a trade. but, I mean, come on.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He and Quincey are pretty much tied for 4th hardest quality of competition on the defense (tougher than what Kindl plays actually) and his zone starts to zone finish ratio is really good. I really dont think hes been that bad this year, like he said in his interview right after he got scratched. On all the goals in his minus three that the media is talking about, the breakdowns werent because of him at all.

I do think he should play with Dekeyser. Dekeyser is all defense, let Smith play offense.

Kindl and Quincey are both more 2 way guys so they can each play a bit each way. I really do think whoever plays with Quincey is going to look bad.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Do you guys think Quincey will be re-signed?

No I don't. He is kind of duplicative and a bit pricey.

I think Smith is safe for this year and next. I don't think his play has been nearly as bad as the +/- suggests. Hell, I actually think he is playing better than last year in many ways. Perhaps most telling is the fact that Kenny doesn't have the stones to make trades anymore.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Smith is the ultimate enigma. A case of having all the tools and no toolbox. I haven't given up on him quite yet but the expectations have been tempered. Still think he can be a decent 4-6 D-man. He can rush and handle the puck very well, passing is alright. Needs to get a little stronger and play a little more physical. Needs work on his shot. Most importantly though he's gotta develop mentally and establish some consistency. I don't think he's been terrible this year (-7 a little misleading) but he obviously needs to be better. I also don't think Quincey is the ideal partner for him. Ericsson or Dekeyser would make more sense. I say give Smith the term of his contract, if there isn't tangible improvement after next year it might be time to move on.

Brandel*

Smith has been much better this year. Scratching him is a real head scratcher.

I missed two games early in the season when he was dressed but he did not look good in the 3 games I've seen him play. He looks worse than he did last year during the regular season to me. Better than playoffs.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Smith has been much better this year. Scratching him is a real head scratcher.

I don't think we've been watching the same games, bro...

And to those who suggest the Wings somehow overripened him to death - they had him stay in GR until his defensive game was ready. He ran out of options before that actually happened. He still has no defensive game. Has not made any strides or learned any lessons based on his performance this season.

IMO Smith seems like a classic case of a guy that was really talented really early, the game was always really easy to him, and he coasted on that and let his game stagnate. That was his doing, not the brass'. He needs a gigantic kick in the ass, and I seriously doubt Babcock can kick him any harder.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm really close to giving up on him. I will not do so until we've seen him with someone other than Quincey for a while though. Like others have said Dekeyser or Ericsson would be better fits for him, but sucks to have to break up either of the first 2 pairings that work nicely.

Bottom line though is we always look better when he is out of the lineup. Lashoff is playing solid, and I think Almqvist deserves a shot sometime soon, then there's Oullet/Sproul. Don't think Smith has much time to show improvement.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I think smith is fine. I think Jensen was big in our plans and him getting hurt really messed things up. I think smith paired with jensen will play a lot better than quincey.

I do not think Quincey is resigned. At least hope not. Jensen is solid just unfortunate what has happened.

Think smith makes it with us 3-4 years have said he would be here when projected us in that time. We will see I have high hopes for him but needs the right pairing and right usage.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We are 4-0-0 when Smith is out of the lineup.

Quincey is the bigger scapegoat for many in here, but still, we are winning games when he is not paired with Smith. Quincey is not perfect and could be overpaid, but he is not the biggest problem in our team at the moment.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

Quincey is the bigger scapegoat for many in here, but still, we are winning games when he is not paired with Smith. Quincey is not perfect and could be overpaid, but he is not the biggest problem in our team at the moment.

Me wanting quincey not resigned or mentioning they dont play well together isnt knocking on Q.

Dont like his pay think we have better options. Would like to see those options etc..

I dont know how long smith has I think you put him with someone who is like kronny or jensen etc.. he would be ok or better. If give him some power play time etc.. he has a lot more worth.

I do question how long he will hold off people like ouellet sproul backman just to mention a few.

I dont want quincey gone now just not resigned if he is going to cost that much rather see a kid brought up since have a few who should be ready.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I thought more about your post Mindfly, and after giving it some thought, I think you have a fair point.

Quite possible I was wrong.

So I went out to look at some comparable situations.

Jonathan Blum and Thomas Hickey were both taken in the same draft as Smith (2007) in the 1st round. Both 24 years old. Both went from the team they were drafted by, to a new team through waivers.

So my line of thinking was, Smith still has some potential, and teams may be willing to give up an asset to bank on his potential. But after looking around, it's quite possible that is not the case.

Sorry to judge so quickly.

blum went through waivers but with wild, not preds. preds decided not to offer him qualifying offer last summer.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'd much rather sign Emelin via FA from montreal than resign quincey. Granted when he comes back from long term ir he might need 1-2 years to get comfy back into his game (knee injury plus surgery). But he is actually a physical def-d man that can move the puck out of the zone and I feel he has the potential to cost much less than giradi. Also due to his injury he might not get looked at as being signed long term by alot of teams so if he bust and is only signed for say 2-3 years he will not hurt too much to keep around.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Me wanting quincey not resigned or mentioning they dont play well together isnt knocking on Q..

Yeah, clearly they don't work together whatever is the reason. It's very hard to understand (now when Kronwall is still out) why doesn't Babcock pair Smith with Lashoff, his former Griffins D-pair. That should be a no-brainer.

Quincey - Ericsson (or DeKeyser - Ericsson)
DeKeyser - Kindl (or Quincey - Kindl)
Lashoff - Smith

crashman

People are clearly forgetting that Ericsson was downright abysmal in his first two seasons. Terrible.

I read this a lot on these boards, but in his 1st stint with the Wings he was actually really solid (in 08-09). But I agree that he went through a lot of growing pains after that, to the point to where I thought he was pretty bad when Holland signed him to his current contract. I'm happy that he proved me wrong.

Smith, on the other hand has NEVER shown much promise at the NHL level. I think he's shaping up to be a bust. I agree with the OP that he just doesn't have a head for the NHL game. As always, I'm hoping that I proven wrong and he pans out while still playing in Detroit, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Also, people talk about Kindl's development like just suddenly broke out last year. He was never as bad as Smith, he was just was lacking in physicality and puck poise, but he was never flat out terrible. It was more of a gradual progression with Kindl.

I agree. He's been an unfair scapegoat since his return, mostly because people are bitter about him being waived and giving up a 1st round pick to get him back. He was also injured when he was re-acquired, and people sill judge him on that 10 or so regular season games and his playoff performance. He's been decent ever since, while also being asked to play a strictly stay-at-home role which is new for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

nickyno72

Mar 27, 2013
My bet is Smith is gone. Wings recalled Xavier Ouellet and Helm. Moves have to be made, Ouellet has the entire organization's confidence and is a 2way. My bet is he is here temp while Kronner is out, but that leaves us over the roster limit. I'm just guessing, but I think a Dman is gone and Smith fits the bill (1way, healthy scratch, late round trade value). The whole time people have been thinking that Tootoo and Eaves were most likely to go, but if the Wings can keep their number 7/8 dmen in GR they can circumnavigate the cap and roster limits this makes sense to me. Just my two cents.

EDIT: Just saw that 52 is hurt. But I'm bold, I'll stand by my guess!

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I still believe he's being misused by Babs, in his 14 game stint in 11-12 he looked great and I think that was because he was then allowed to play in an offensive role but for the last two seasons it has been publicly stated by Babs that he is to focus on defence first and the offence will come later. I'm still pretty confident that he is actually given a chance to play his game and take chances he can still reach his potential, that is if his confidence isn't shot by then. I'll start worrying about him busting when he is given a good chance to shine and fails.

Sidenote: I find it a little weird that during the last 2 offseasons Kenny and management said that he's allowed to play his game and has been given a green light but shortly after Babcock says no, he has to play defence first. Maybe some behind the scenes stuff going on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad