how long does brendan smith have?

RedWingsNow*

We are 4-0-0 when Smith is out of the lineup.

Quincey is the bigger scapegoat for many in here, but still, we are winning games when he is not paired with Smith. Quincey is not perfect and could be overpaid, but he is not the biggest problem in our team at the moment.

Kind of meaningless considering we were outshout all 4 games I think.
Quincey is by far the worst on our team for goals against. I'm certain Smith takes that over witj minutes played.
But I wonder how many of Smith's GA's came with QUincey on the ice.

Vs Phx
4 goals against.
2 with KQ.
2 with Lashoff (one was with KQ and Lashoff)
1 with Kindl 1 EN

Vs Phx
2 goals against
2 with KQ

Vs Bos
1 GA
1 with KQ

vs Car
1 GA
1 with KQ

Vs Buf
1 GA
1 with KQ

So this year, Smith has been on the ice for 2 goals against without KQ. One was an empty neetter.

1 goal against this year without KQ.

Here are KQ's games without Smith
Vs Colorado
1 GA

Vs CBS
1 GA

VS Bos
0 GA

Vs PHA
1 GA

I don't think Smith will ever be a good defensive defenseman. But he's the guy with FIFTY****INGTHREE GAMES TO HIS NAME

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
I don't think Smith will ever be a good defensive defenseman. But he's the guy with FIFTY****INGTHREE GAMES TO HIS NAME

Word.

Smiths got a lot of talent, but the guy just seems dumber than a box of rocks.

Wish there was some super-smart, effective D-man we could pair him with. But MGMT screwed the pooch and didnt pair him with Lidstrom when they had the chance. Now KFQ is their alternative...(shudders)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
And just like that, Smitty turns in a steady performance tonight.

Its amazing that as soon as hes away from Quincey he manages that. Should keep Kindl and Quincey together after this game and put DD and Smith together. And Smith needs to play physical and jump in the play like he did tonight and it will make up for defensive mistakes when hes scoring goals and taking other players heads off like he has in the past

Aug 6, 2012
Smith played great tonight. People tend to forget that he was starting to play like one of our best defenseman right when he injured his shoulder, last year. I don't expect solid games like this knowing his game, but tonight was a big step in the right direction. He was really engaged in transition and was pretty physical, including a huge hit.

Mickey Redmond*

Nov 2, 2010
The guy has one good game and people are rejoicing. He gets beat badly fairly often. He has been bailed out by the goalies on occasion, but the point is you can't be playing d in the NHL if you are getting beat that badly by your man, especially when you are on a team that has cup aspirations. He isn't an NHL caliber dman at the moment.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Its amazing that as soon as hes away from Quincey he manages that. Should keep Kindl and Quincey together after this game and put DD and Smith together.
I think Quincey has been better this year, but it's obvious that him and Smith just don't work well together. I agree, put Smith with DD and Kindl with Quincey.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I'm a UW alum and I saw Smith play at UW a lot. I can honestly say I thought he was one of the most talented players I had ever seen at the college level. His game has frustrated me often at Detroit but pairing with Q just doesn't work. He looked real solid last night. If he could have scored that goal would have done wonders for his confidence. He seems to have a tendency to get down on himself. I still don't want to give up on him, he's too talented

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think Quincey has been better this year, but it's obvious that him and Smith just don't work well together. I agree, put Smith with DD and Kindl with Quincey.

I agree Quincey has been solid. I dont think when Smith was scratched that Quincey was outplaying him though and what I was saying wasnt really a knock on both players, it was more a knock on their chemistry together but Babcock keeps trying to force it for some reason

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Smith will definitely have to step up his game in the future. A lot of young D talent in the system with XO, Sproul, Marachenko etc.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Smith will definitely have to step up his game in the future. A lot of young D talent in the system with XO, Sproul, Marachenko etc.

IMO Sproul is the only one that will really challenge smith for a spot because IMO he is the only one of our prospect d men that is on the same or a higher level as Smith when it comes to offensive upside, and he'll need at least a couple of years in GR before he's ready for a shot at the nhl.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
IMO Sproul is the only one that will really challenge smith for a spot because IMO he is the only one of our prospect d men that is on the same or a higher level as Smith when it comes to offensive upside, and he'll need at least a couple of years in GR before he's ready for a shot at the nhl.

Agreed. Smith's high end potential seems to be Kronwall esque player, he'll be a good #2/#3 but won't be a #1. He can play in all situations though he'll make a brain fart or 2 every now and then, Kronwall has gotten better & if his play so far this year is an indication he could be considered a legit #1 now.

I think a lot of you are giving up on Smith too fast. He's had some growing pains but he hasn't been put in a situation where can let his natural abilities shine. He's been playing with another defenceman who likes to be able to produce offensively & is not great defensively himself. This has lead to neither on being all that comfortable with one another & both of their games suffer because of it, it's like putting Ketchup on Ice Cream both are good by themselves but together they're awful.

Let's also not get confused about his upside. He is not & more then likely will never will be a stud on the defensive end, his bread & butter will be on the offensive end & in the transition game. He should give us 35-45 points a year while bringing a mean physical game, if he can be just average defensively he'll find a spot on our team.

I was reading through some old threads about players that people had the wrong read about. Here's what some people had to say about Duncan Keith back in 07.

My patience with Keith is waining. Outlet passes and stickhandling are things that every NHL level defenseman should be able to do without question. Duncan has trouble with those two skills sometimes.

Keith has the worst outlet pass ever. His gaffes and turnovers are getting old quick.

Totally agree. I get nervous each time he starts handling the puck in the defensive zone.

I honestly don't see why he's so hyped. I think his biggest asset is his physical conditioning....big whoop.

(Here's the thread if you want to read it yourself http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=431991&highlight=duncan+keith )

Now I don't expect Smith to be as good as Keith but in general us posters are very quick to make judge & it takes a lot for us to change our minds on a player, not t mention our whipping boys. If Smith is still making the same mistakes in 2 or 3 years I'll be worried but he gets at least that much time to sort out his game.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Agreed. Smith's high end potential seems to be Kronwall esque player, he'll be a good #2/#3 but won't be a #1. He can play in all situations though he'll make a brain fart or 2 every now and then, Kronwall has gotten better & if his play so far this year is an indication he could be considered a legit #1 now.

I think a lot of you are giving up on Smith too fast. He's had some growing pains but he hasn't been put in a situation where can let his natural abilities shine. He's been playing with another defenceman who likes to be able to produce offensively & is not great defensively himself. This has lead to neither on being all that comfortable with one another & both of their games suffer because of it, it's like putting Ketchup on Ice Cream both are good by themselves but together they're awful.

Let's also not get confused about his upside. He is not & more then likely will never will be a stud on the defensive end, his bread & butter will be on the offensive end & in the transition game. He should give us 35-45 points a year while bringing a mean physical game, if he can be just average defensively he'll find a spot on our team.

I was reading through some old threads about players that people had the wrong read about. Here's what some people had to say about Duncan Keith back in 07.

(Here's the thread if you want to read it yourself http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=431991&highlight=duncan+keith )

Now I don't expect Smith to be as good as Keith but in general us posters are very quick to make judge & it takes a lot for us to change our minds on a player, not t mention our whipping boys. If Smith is still making the same mistakes in 2 or 3 years I'll be worried but he gets at least that much time to sort out his game.

The similarities are uncanny. :laugh:

Complaints about who he's paired with...

I don't think the problem is Duncan Keith--the problem is pairing him with Seabrook. Those two just don't complement each other at all. He needs someone to stay in the back end.

Complaints about consistency...

Keith looked amazing against Dallas. Consistency will come with time, although I'd be happier if he was paired with someone who has the experience to cover for him after the inevitable blunders.

Questioning whether he should be on the penalty kill...

I heard good things about him last year, but he was horrendous on the ice. Brutal passes, terrible decisions and poor placement. He was so out of position on 2 powerplay goals I couldn't believe Savard had him killing penalties.

And for what its worth, these complaints came when Keith was 24 years old...At least Denis Savard had the wherewithal to put Keith on the powerplay regularly, though...

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

Very good point. I also feel like Smith did not get that seasoning as other guys have. Even Kindl spent lots of time playing 6/7th man.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Very good point. I also feel like Smith did not get that seasoning as other guys have. Even Kindl spent lots of time playing 6/7th man.

Thats important too. Kindl didnt break into the NHL til he was like 25 and he was sheltered playing number 6 minutes and scratched often. Ericcson was the same thing. Smith comes up to a weaker defense and plays on the second pair quite a bit with a partner that they play terrible together.

Smith is 2 years younger than when Kindl started playing regularly, non sheltered minutes and hes playing over 18 minutes a night. Smith is playing less shletered minutes than Kindl is this season and hes a few years younger

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
If you ask me? If they cannot unload any defensemen and still need a forward (end up unloading too many forwards...you never know at this point)? Turn Smith into a Winger. The dude has great offensive instincts, just doesn't have the greatest of defensive capacities to be a full time defenseman (always was hi weakness).

I will say this. If they try it and it's a hit? We might have a good 2-way player on our hands. I would take that risk first if I were to consider trading him...and at this point? If were the GM? It's not out of the question.

The experiment worked for Big Rig (turning him into a D-man)...why not give this a try? Didn't Burns go forward and seems to be rocking it?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If you ask me? If they cannot unload any defensemen and still need a forward (end up unloading too many forwards...you never know at this point)? Turn Smith into a Winger. The dude has great offensive instincts, just doesn't have the greatest of defensive capacities to be a full time defenseman (always was hi weakness).

I will say this. If they try it and it's a hit? We might have a good 2-way player on our hands. I would take that risk first if I were to consider trading him...and at this point? If were the GM? It's not out of the question.

The experiment worked for Big Rig (turning him into a D-man)...why not give this a try? Didn't Burns go forward and seems to be rocking it?

Interesting "crazy" idea. These things have happened recently with some success. Burns... Byfuglien... Ericsson... always a big guy for some reason.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Interesting "crazy" idea. These things have happened recently with some success. Burns... Byfuglien... Ericsson... always a big guy for some reason.

Usually this happens because a player is borderline not good enough at forward to make the NHL.

Ericsson converted to Defense
Byfuglien was a net front 3rd/4th line, converted to defines
Burns was a forward all the way up to the NHL, got converted to defence and strangely enough converted back to his original position.

Its always a big guy, because people assume, "hey your big, maybe you can play defense to make the NHL club"

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
I find it funny how people are always complaining about Smiths defensive game even though everyone in the world can tell you that he wasn't drafted for that. Smith is an offensive defenseman and he always has been. Maybe some of you should reconsider your defensive expectations for him because I personally don't expect him to be any more that average defensively.

I agree with a lot of what a lot of people have already said, Quincey & Smith make an awful pair. IMO the problem with the pair is that neither of them are good defensively, but they both like to play an offensive game. What Smith needs is what all other offensive d-man need, a steady defensive first partner. DD or Ericsson would probably be an improvement. Hell, even Ouellet looked like a significantly better partner for Smith.

I think a lot of people are forgetting about the positives things that Smith did. Like his 7 pts in 14 games 2011-12 (with was the same amount of pts Nyquist had but in more games). During that call up Smith was playing his game which was rushing the puck up the ice/joining the rush and creating offense. The Smith that he have seen this year and last year doesn't even look like the same player compared to his 2011-2012 call up. Right now hes not playing his game and he's not producing points, but Babcock is making him play a defensive role which he isn't good at, so he's not producing points and he's playing crappy defense, which is incredibly frustrating.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I find it funny how people are always complaining about Smiths defensive game even though everyone in the world can tell you that he wasn't drafted for that. Smith is an offensive defenseman and he always has been. Maybe some of you should reconsider your defensive expectations for him because I personally don't expect him to be any more that average defensively.

I agree with a lot of what a lot of people have already said, Quincey & Smith make an awful pair. IMO the problem with the pair is that neither of them are good defensively, but they both like to play an offensive game. What Smith needs is what all other offensive d-man need, a steady defensive first partner. DD or Ericsson would probably be an improvement. Hell, even Ouellet looked like a significantly better partner for Smith.

I think a lot of people are forgetting about the positives things that Smith did. Like his 7 pts in 14 games 2011-12 (with was the same amount of pts Nyquist had but in more games). During that call up Smith was playing his game which was rushing the puck up the ice/joining the rush and creating offense. The Smith that he have seen this year and last year doesn't even look like the same player compared to his 2011-2012 call up. Right now hes not playing his game and he's not producing points, but Babcock is making him play a defensive role which he isn't good at, so he's not producing points and he's playing crappy defense, which is incredibly frustrating.

I think Babs is smart enough to iron out some of the defensive stuff now and let him learn it a bit before he really turns him loose offensively. Hes still really young and even now is playing harder competition than Kindl.

Playing this defensive game now will probably make him into a better dman when hes hitting his prime, and he hasnt been as terrible as a lot of the guys on here are saying either. It was true what he said in that game he got scratched after, those goals werent on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->