How likely is this scenario involving Tavares and Nylander? Does it make sense?

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
What if Tavares re signs with NYI or another team. We're playing the what if game so I figure we may as well what if with Doughty and Karlsson. If we pass on Tavares and Doughty and Karlsson sign with other teams then guess what? Willys value has probably already sky rocketed and we'd have more options than "a dman around his age". waiting on the d men makes much more sense
If Tavares re-signs then you hold onto Nylander and take your chances on doughty. Can't see karlsson ever coming here.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
On the main board somebody posted that McGuire thinks JT signs with Buffalo before Montreal. Wonder how all the nay sayers feel about having to face the Ike, JT, ROR three headed monster half a dozen games per season rather than having him in our corner.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
On the main board somebody posted that McGuire thinks JT signs with Buffalo before Montreal. Wonder how all the nay sayers feel about having to face the Ike, JT, ROR three headed monster half a dozen games per season for possibly the next decade.
That would make for a fun rivalry!
Bring it!!!

Edit
I still think we edge them out down the middle
Matthews>Eichel
JT>Nylander (for now)
Kadri>ROR

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
On the main board somebody posted that McGuire thinks JT signs with Buffalo before Montreal. Wonder how all the nay sayers feel about having to face the Ike, JT, ROR three headed monster half a dozen games per season rather than having him in our corner.

It would all depend on who would beat who on a more regular basis.
And playoffs.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Would be interesting to see how the Sabres could make that work capwise

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If JT wants to be a Leaf and win a cup in TO then he needs to make it work just as much a Toronto does, with a more team friendly contract than he'd get on the market. Probably something in the 8.5 million for 7 years range.
While I agree he's very unlikely to take a discount, he can't expect Toronto to tear apart their roster to accommodate his addition, especially since signing him would be a luxury, not a need.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The point is though you would not only be getting Tavares, but also the return for Nylander, because keeping all the big 3 would not allow you to sign Tavares in the first place.

An example for instance based on a rumored possible return for Nylander last year....

Sign Tavares....then Nylander is traded Dougie Hamilton.

You are getting Tavares + Hamilton for Nylander.

Obviously you would have to look at a return for Nylander that fits the cap, so probably a younger high end asset on ELC.

There is no way in hell I trade Nylander for Douggie Hamilton lol

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If JT wants to be a Leaf and win a cup in TO then he needs to make it work just as much a Toronto does, with a more team friendly contract than he'd get on the market. Probably something in the 8.5 million for 7 years range.
While I agree he's very unlikely to take a discount, he can't expect Toronto to tear apart their roster to accommodate his addition, especially since signing him would be a luxury, not a need.

Yup, I'm only interested in JT at no more than 9M/year. He can make up the difference via endorsements and Stanley Cup rings.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Thought it would be interesting to resurrect this from thread last August.

Last edited:

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
No, thanks. Nylander is already practically as good as JT is now, and is obviously much younger, still growing as a player, and an RFA.

Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 7.23.06 PM.png

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Much like the debate over Stamkos in his UFA year, people seem to be polarized about the idea of trying to sign John Tavares if he makes it to free agency.

This obviously hinges on Tavares wanting to sign here.

It is known by all that Tavares is an exceptional talent in his prime that plays the most desirable position (1C), but the points of contention seem to be that his deal will likely be 7 years and in the neighborhood of $9-$11 million AAV, which would be a large cap hit, and that it would make it difficult to sign and keep all of the big 3.

While I love the idea of having the big 3 for their entire careers as Maple Leafs, I can't help but wonder if we will/should take a run at Tavares.

There are very few scenarios that I would part with any of the big 3, but this one is intriguing to me, because of how heavily the value slants in our favour.

If a player of Tavares' calibre, that plays Centre that is his age is willing to sign, you can't pass up on the free asset. While signing him likely costs you Nylander, we have to look at it from the standpoint that you are basically getting Tavares + the return for Nylander, for Nylander, because you would not be able to sign Tavares otherwise. The return for Nylander would be a very significant piece, and likely a young controllable asset on ELC or a sweetheart contract, or a number of other assets.

The scenario as I see it would be that we sign Tavares and sign Nylander next offseason, keeping Nylander for the season icing probably one of the best forward corps the league has seen in a long time, and then management would pull the trigger on a deal involving Nylander in the offseason before Matthews and Marner's contracts kick in.

In all honestly how many people can truly say if it was a straight up trade that they wouldn't trade Nylander for Tavares + an asset/assets of Nylanders value.

Curious to hear other posters thoughts.

1. You don't have to trade any of the big 3 or any other core players to fit Tavares on the roster. There is much more cap flexibility than most people realize.

2. Yes - In the exact situation you described, I'd happily trade Nylander in order to bring in Tavares. As you mentioned, we'll be getting a package for Nylander PLUS Tavares.

We could end up with something like:

Tavares | $10,000,000 x 7
Rakell | $3,700,000 x 4
Manson | $4,100,000 x 4

For Nylander.

Good deal.

Reactions: Yackiberg8

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
For 3 to 4 at max good years from Tavares at high cap hit; is it reasonable to give up on around 10 to 12 years of Nylander at decent cap hit in rfa years to market cap hit in UFA years
?

In the short term may be but in the long term leafs lose

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Getting Tavares still doesn't make Nylander expendable.

The only type of asset that makes sense (a young 1D) are almost never available. And it’s dumb to trade a blue chip young asset who hasn’t even reached his prime for quantity package of lesser assets.

If you want capspace dumb marleau, Martin and Zaitsev.

Last edited:

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
No, thanks. Nylander is already practically as good as JT is now, and is obviously much younger, still growing as a player, and an RFA.

View attachment 125689

Nonsense like this is a prime example of why Leaf fans are constantly mocked and looked down upon. Nylander isn’t even in the same zip code as Tavares. Get out of here with your charts... no one who understands/ watches film will agree with you. Tavares is a stud #1 C, who excels in every situation and oozes leadership. Nylander is a soft, one dimensional, perimeter player who got badly embarrassed in the playoffs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You almost have to think of the Leafs as a big talent vacuum. Wherever they can find talent, the draft, free agency, trades, salary retention, they should do it. And adding Tavares and seeing what shakes loose (possibly Nylander or Kadri or someone else) is an essential part of keeping the machine running. But add the talent first and then try to mold it later.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I think it's more likely they trade Kadri if they signed JT. You basically sign JT for nothing but money to replace Kadri and then trade Kadri + for a dman.

Disclaimer: I like Kadri alot, and don't want him traded.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
For 3 to 4 at max good years from Tavares at high cap hit; is it reasonable to give up on around 10 to 12 years of Nylander at decent cap hit in rfa years to market cap hit in UFA years
?

In the short term may be but in the long term leafs lose

Only if you're looking at each acquisition individually. Without a Tavares acquisition, moving Nylander doesn't make sense. With the signing, it may not be necessary, but it does open up options in case you want to go after a young potential top pairing RHD.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Nonsense like this is a prime example of why Leaf fans are constantly mocked and looked down upon. Nylander isn’t even in the same zip code as Tavares. Get out of here with your charts... no one who understands/ watches film will agree with you. Tavares is a stud #1 C, who excels in every situation and oozes leadership. Nylander is a soft, one dimensional, perimeter player who got badly embarrassed in the playoffs.

That's a pretty good introduction for the rest of your post.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I disagree with the majority here. We can keep Nylander and Tavares.
Your core:
xxx (2) - Matthews (10) - Marner (7)
xxx (2) - Tavares (10) - Nylander (6.5)
xxx (1) - Kadri (4.5) - xxx (1)
xxx (1) - xxx (1) - xxx (1)

Rielly (5) - xxx (5)
Dermott (4) - Lilijegren (4)
Borgman/Rosen (2) - Zaitsev (4.5)

Andersen (5)
xxx (1)

Total: 62.5 mill + 15 mill = 77.5 mill

BUT also worth noting Dermott/Lily have 2/3 yrs left on their ELC + sign them to a 3 yr bridge contract + trading Kadri when he declines + salary cap going up should make us in a good position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad