How likely is this scenario involving Tavares and Nylander? Does it make sense?

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't they pay Marleau his big bonus next July 1st, trade him to a team that will only owe him half his salary, and then re-sign Marner and Matthews with Marleau's contract relatively off the books?

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't they pay Marleau his big bonus next July 1st, trade him to a team that will only owe him half his salary, and then re-sign Marner and Matthews with Marleau's contract relatively off the books?

all that would be owed would be $1.25 million for a $6.25 mil cap hit.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

Yup. It's very doable.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Much like the debate over Stamkos in his UFA year, people seem to be polarized about the idea of trying to sign John Tavares if he makes it to free agency.

This obviously hinges on Tavares wanting to sign here.

It is known by all that Tavares is an exceptional talent in his prime that plays the most desirable position (1C), but the points of contention seem to be that his deal will likely be 7 years and in the neighborhood of $9-$11 million AAV, which would be a large cap hit, and that it would make it difficult to sign and keep all of the big 3.

While I love the idea of having the big 3 for their entire careers as Maple Leafs, I can't help but wonder if we will/should take a run at Tavares.

There are very few scenarios that I would part with any of the big 3, but this one is intriguing to me, because of how heavily the value slants in our favour.

If a player of Tavares' calibre, that plays Centre that is his age is willing to sign, you can't pass up on the free asset. While signing him likely costs you Nylander, we have to look at it from the standpoint that you are basically getting Tavares + the return for Nylander, for Nylander, because you would not be able to sign Tavares otherwise. The return for Nylander would be a very significant piece, and likely a young controllable asset on ELC or a sweetheart contract, or a number of other assets.

The scenario as I see it would be that we sign Tavares and sign Nylander next offseason, keeping Nylander for the season icing probably one of the best forward corps the league has seen in a long time, and then management would pull the trigger on a deal involving Nylander in the offseason before Matthews and Marner's contracts kick in.

In all honestly how many people can truly say if it was a straight up trade that they wouldn't trade Nylander for Tavares + an asset/assets of Nylanders value.

Curious to hear other posters thoughts.

- We should sign Tavares for 1 year at $15,900,000 (paid in July as a signing bonus).
- With both sides understanding that he gets a pre-determined 8-year extension ASAP.
- Tavares can then pick up an injury insurance policy just in case.
- On January 1st, 2019, Tavares re-signs for $8,000,000 x 8 years (or slightly more).

The interest from his first paycheck would give him an extra $500,000/year by itself. And there's no need to trade Nylander.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
- We should sign Tavares for 1 year at $15,900,000 (paid in July as a signing bonus).
- With both sides understanding that he gets a pre-determined 8-year extension ASAP.
- Tavares can then pick up an injury insurance policy just in case.
- On January 1st, 2019, Tavares re-signs for $8,000,000 x 8 years (or slightly more).

The interest from his first paycheck would give him an extra $500,000/year by itself. And there's no need to trade Nylander.
Can't purchase insurance on a contract you aren't allowed to have on paper until January 1st.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada

The only problem is that Marleau would have to agree to the trade.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Can't purchase insurance on a contract you aren't allowed to have on paper until January 1st.

- You can purchase any insurance you want for any contract you have yet to sign.
- Maybe he decides to buy a full season of insurance with a cancellation policy just in case.

Dumb criticism.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
No he is not. He disappears when the play becomes tough like he did in the playoffs. He will get better but he will never be as good as Tavares in tight and that is where much of the playoffs are played.
People don't understand that Nylander grew up watching his dad get pummelled night in and night out in that (best) era of hockey.
William will shy away from as much contact as possible and try to play 15+ years.

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010

You can most certainly insure your future earnings ability. Players insure themselves all the time (and sometimes just specific body parts which are more important to them than others). It has absolutely nothing to do with a contract being in place.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Why get rid of Nylander? Why not get rid of Marleau in his last year . Trade Patrick for a pick, retain $1.5M. Boom extra $5M in cap space .

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Why get rid of Nylander? Why not get rid of Marleau in his last year . Trade Patrick for a pick, retain $1.5M. Boom extra $5M in cap space .
marleau has a nmc in his last season so he can't just easily be ridden of

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
marleau has a nmc in his last season so he can't just easily be ridden of

You are right. But my point ,I guess , is that we only have a Marleau cap crunch. Once he's off the books we'll be in much better shape. And this team management is full of capologists, I'm sure they can figure a way to make it work without giving up Nylander.

I would rather have Tavares and Nylander.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
You are right. But my point ,I guess , is that we only have a Marleau cap crunch. Once he's off the books we'll be in much better shape. And this team management is full of capologists, I'm sure they can figure a way to make it work without giving up Nylander.

I would rather have Tavares and Nylander.
I'd rather have will the thrill than Tavares. Will the thrill is going to improve and will cost less while Tavares will decline and cost more. The leafs need half a roster in this time next year so I wouldn't spend nearly half of the cap on 4 guys.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
No agent would allow a player to do that. Ever.

One injury and he’d be out a lot of money.
At the end of the day though, it's the players decision, not the agent. 13m in a year is nothing to scoff at either. Furthermore, given how the cap has gone up year over year, a 1 year holdover has the potential to result in an even higher payout going forward. Calculated gamble on both sides.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd rather have will the thrill than Tavares. Will the thrill is going to improve and will cost less while Tavares will decline and cost more. The leafs need half a roster in this time next year so I wouldn't spend nearly half of the cap on 4 guys.

This is certainly a risk, no doubt.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I said before, the only problem is Marleau's last year.
According to Capfriendly, we have about $34.5M booked for 2019-20 for 5 forwards + 2 defense + 1 goalie (8 players) and Kessel
lets say we sign Tavares for $11, AM $11, Marner $7, Nyalnder, $7, Kapenen $4M that's $40M (5 players)

Now we have 10 forwards 2 defense and 1 goalie (13 players) signed total $73.5M
We need maybe 2 forwards 5 defense and 1 goalie (8 players) needed
Assuming the cap will be about $84M that year, that means we have $10.5M for 8 players. Average $1.3 per player. Not great but doable. Entry level players make $0.8M. Older third tier players will take $1.1M.

Year after that Marleau is off the books (6.25), cap goes up a bit more, we'll have about $10M to maneuver.

And I'm not even a capologist. Someone might figure something better without losing Nylander. Maybe Marleau can go vacation in Robidas island in his last year.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
what if we just sign Nylander to a shorter, cheaper bridge deal? 2 or 3 years at 5 or so?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad