How likely is this scenario involving Tavares and Nylander? Does it make sense?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
That is all fine and dandy but the time for patience is over. Now they upgrade when they can. Hence the reason why they signed Marleau and were looking to acquire Hamonic.

They are no longer going to sit on their hands. They think they can start winning this year.

:facepalm: x 1000000

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Trading a young talent like Nylander whose on the cusp of exploding with talent (his rookie season is impressive even for a top 1-2 overall draft pick), would haunt the Leafs for decade.

For some reason Leaf fans don't seem to realize how crazy good a rookie season Nylander just had. Like one of the all-time best in entire leafs history kind of good.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
For some reason Leaf fans don't seem to realize how crazy good a rookie season Nylander just had. Like one of the all-time best in entire leafs history kind of good.

Who are the Leaf fans that don't realize this? Every post I've seen seems to rate him quite highly.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Who are the Leaf fans that don't realize this? Every post I've seen seems to rate him quite highly.

do they? nobody seems to think this super elite rookie actually deserves to be compared to other elite players for some reason.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
do they? nobody seems to think this super elite rookie actually deserves to be compared to other elite players for some reason.

Any examples? I've seen him mentioned with Tavares and Doughty, I'm sure there are more if I go back and look.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

He definitely seems to play third fiddle even though his on ice play suggests he shouldn't be.

With Tavares I wonder if some folks would be as enthusiastic about bringing him here if he had been born in Winnipeg and grew up a Jets fan.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Any examples? I've seen him mentioned with Tavares and Doughty, I'm sure there are more if I go back and look.

by mentioned you mean to say "not worth as much as".

Resume isn't as big, uncertainty over his ability to go to centre full time even though I think he'll be able to.

If a Seth Jones type swap is available I'd likely make it as we need a defenseman like that and you give to get.

That being said, Nylander is a hell of a player and I would love to get an 8 year extension in place with him right now.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
by mentioned you mean to say "not worth as much as".

Tavares and Doughty? Worth is tricky, too many factors but as players most would rank him as 3rd in value. That shouldn't be seen as insulting, they're elite players

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Tavares and Doughty? Worth is tricky, too many factors but as players most would rank him as 3rd in value. That shouldn't be seen as insulting, they're elite players

Yes but apparently we've hit a new status here.
Super elite. Not to be confused with just elite.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Throwing money at Doughty or karlsson and keeping nylander makes waaaay more sense than trading nylander and signing Tavares. D men peak later so trading for one nylanders age will be trading for an unknown and signing a for sure thing whereas keeping Willy and signing one of those 2 is having two known qualities
to some, maybe. What happens if you wait for doughty and karlsson to hit free agency and they just re-sign with their Respective teams? So that means you had a really good chance at signing Tavares and trading for a young stud defenceman but passed cause you were hoping you could sign a player that was 1 year away from free agency.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
If only he were the JT of three years ago. There is a very real chance Willie will be outscoring Tavares in another year so yes, they may have two top ten centers.
and there is a very real chance that Nylander becomes a 50 point winger for the rest of his career while Tavares lights up the league while playing in Toronto. A lot of things could happen. Also. Tavares has been almost a point per game player for the last 3 years. 237 games with 222 points. Looks pretty good to me. And who does he play with on his line?

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
And that's why you don't trade him unless for a young stud defenceman with 1D potential. Is this really that hard to understand. Cause people on here that would only trade Nylander for a potential 1D gets it.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
1. He has to hit free agency. 2. He has to want to come here. Way easier said then done.

Very relevant and good points, yet ostensibly overlooked quite frequently (by some).

Having said that, carry on with the Tavares thread, and why not add a Doughty and Karlsson thread too as long as we are dreaming .......

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
First of all, let's make the playoffs 2 years in a row before we worry about trading Nylander and signing Tavares and Doughty.

Let's see how the team comes together for year 2 and figure out the issues that still plague us.

Again, it's a 5 year plan. Build the best team you can.
The plan changes everyday. So we will see where we are next and what falls to us. What else (if anything, or nothing required) can make us the best team.

Hurin

Jun 29, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
First of all, let's make the playoffs 2 years in a row before we worry about trading Nylander and signing Tavares and Doughty.

Let's see how the team comes together for year 2 and figure out the issues that still plague us.

Again, it's a 5 year plan. Build the best team you can.
The plan changes everyday. So we will see where we are next and what falls to us. What else (if anything, or nothing required) can make us the best team.

This is one the big reasons why I disagree with making a big move like this now. We need to know how good these young guys can be, if they can take the next step and build on their rookie seasons, if Nylander can move to C, what they decide to do with Bozak/JVR and other vets going forward. Patience is still required.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I'm in agreement with the group suggesting it makes zero sense to talk about trading Nylander when we don't even know fully what we got in him. Furthermore, we don't know where we are truly as a team other then 'we should make the playoffs'. We need to show some patience as a fan base, this team is now on a path to be good for a long long time, might as well enjoy the ride.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm in agreement with the group suggesting it makes zero sense to talk about trading Nylander when we don't even know fully what we got in him. Furthermore, we don't know where we are truly as a team other then 'we should make the playoffs'. We need to show some patience as a fan base, this team is now on a path to be good for a long long time, might as well enjoy the ride.

Tavares won't be a UFA for another year so Willie should have another year in the books before any offseason moves are made. If he lights it up during the season and plays well in the playoffs he will virtually be untouchable. At that point the Leafs brass will decide their next moves.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Valid point. I can understand why people wouldn't want to trade Nylander. He's an acceptional talent. I would only make a move if we got back a young stud defenceman with 1D potential.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
to some, maybe. What happens if you wait for doughty and karlsson to hit free agency and they just re-sign with their Respective teams? So that means you had a really good chance at signing Tavares and trading for a young stud defenceman but passed cause you were hoping you could sign a player that was 1 year away from free agency.

What if Tavares re signs with NYI or another team. We're playing the what if game so I figure we may as well what if with Doughty and Karlsson. If we pass on Tavares and Doughty and Karlsson sign with other teams then guess what? Willys value has probably already sky rocketed and we'd have more options than "a dman around his age". waiting on the d men makes much more sense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad