How likely is this scenario involving Tavares and Nylander? Does it make sense?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Let's assume the Leafs like Tavares long term better than Nylander, than ridding themselves of Nylander might be the only/best cap option.
You have to look at Tavares like a trade. It's Tavares and all the assets the Leafs receive in a Nylander trade...for Nylander. If you think Tavares is long term better and worth the 3.5m or so larger cap hit, then signing Tavares makes sense.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
I'd rather have Nylander over Tavares. Nylander has plenty of years left in him compared to Tavares. If Leafs don't sign Tavares, Babcock might need to make Nylander a center. Might suck a few games, but let it happen, this team doesn't have to contend for the Stanley Cup next year. We will soon enough.

Nylander is very very skilled and controls the puck well. Dude is only in his 2nd full year in the NHL, imagine what he will be like next year and the year after.

Stick with the program, don't deviate. We can talk about defense, but we are really underestimating Rielly as a #1, the other defenders will come.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Let's assume the Leafs like Tavares long term better than Nylander, than ridding themselves of Nylander might be the only/best cap option.
You have to look at Tavares like a trade. It's Tavares and all the assets the Leafs receive in a Nylander trade...for Nylander. If you think Tavares is long term better and worth the 3.5m or so larger cap hit, then signing Tavares makes sense.

If Marner is asking for Matthews money, I'd probably consider letting him go first.

The summary of the transaction would actually be something like

In

Tavares
Elite Defenseman/Package of Picks and Prospects/Other Elite Asset

Out

Marner/Nylander

Which in sum would be a win because it's spinning one elite asset into two elite assets or a package.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I said before, the only problem is Marleau's last year.
According to Capfriendly, we have about $34.5M booked for 2019-20 for 5 forwards + 2 defense + 1 goalie (8 players) and Kessel
lets say we sign Tavares for $11, AM $11, Marner $7, Nyalnder, $7, Kapenen $4M that's $40M (5 players)

Now we have 10 forwards 2 defense and 1 goalie (13 players) signed total $73.5M
We need maybe 2 forwards 5 defense and 1 goalie (8 players) needed
Assuming the cap will be about $84M that year, that means we have $10.5M for 8 players. Average $1.3 per player. Not great but doable. Entry level players make $0.8M. Older third tier players will take $1.1M.

Year after that Marleau is off the books (6.25), cap goes up a bit more, we'll have about $10M to maneuver.

And I'm not even a capologist. Someone might figure something better without losing Nylander. Maybe Marleau can go vacation in Robidas island in his last year.
Marleau is tricky cause he has the NMC, and he’s an iron man, not likely to get injured. If we can, I’d say give Nylander a 2-3 year bridge for 4.5 Mil, similar to Kucherov, and then deal with whatever fallout afterwards once Marleau’s contract is up

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
I am just wondering if its Marner we will have to part with and not Nylander if we get Tavares. This might have been said earlier sorry if so.
Matthews 10-13mil
Tavares 9-11mil
Marner $???? 9mil?
Nylander $??? 6-7m
Gardiner $5-7mil

Might not be feasible to keep Matthew's, Tavares and Marner and ice a decent supporting squad.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
This logic is the same as 'lucic and larsson for hall', and no one would argue that is correct.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Signing a 27yr old player, even one as good as Tavares, doesn't justify throwing away 21/22yr old stars in the making like Marner and Nylander. Tavares is a luxury that we would add on top of the core we have already. Bringing him in only to toss out a younger 70+ point player is only a shade over a break even move so why do it at all? The net gain isn't really big enough to justify for the cost.

If we get him we keep all three of the kids and cut the salary from the bottom of the lineup to fit it all in. Then we're stacked. If it comes down to Tavares in and someone like Marner out then I'd rather not get Tavares at all and keep the young kids that will be productive for much longer.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Might not be feasible to keep Matthew's, Tavares and Marner and ice a decent supporting squad.
It's been gone into at length in numerous places why we absolutely can keep the big three AND add Tavares. As for supporting players, that's where you can and should save money. Get ELC Johnssons rather than retirement deal Marleaus, and we'll be fine. Not spending anything more than we need to on depth would also help.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
When was the last time a #1C Captain was traded ?

Wouldn't Islander fans just reject the team for such an action ?

I think they are all but forced to sign him.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
If we get Tavares he's a free asset. It's not like we would lose Nylander for nothing. I'd trade him for a top defenceman. But if we can keep him, that's great too.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's been gone into at length in numerous places why we absolutely can keep the big three AND add Tavares. As for supporting players, that's where you can and should save money. Get ELC Johnssons rather than retirement deal Marleaus, and we'll be fine. Not spending anything more than we need to on depth would also help.

Exactly.

You shed money from depth players first before you think about moving out the 22 year old blue chip asset.

Trading a guy like Nylander for cap reasons before all other options have been exhausted is something bad management would do. I’d like to think that doesn’t apply to the Leafs

Reactions: WizardOfNaz

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I don't know if i understand the backwards thinking of getting rid of a star winger/potential center who is only going to keep getting better, for a star C that is 6 years his elder? You ADD Tavares to the core or you don't do it at all. That foward core is part of their pitch to him im sure, the quality of his wingers being either Marner or Nylander. I would have to think it becomes less appealing for Tavares knowing his arrival means the departure of a Nylander/Marner. Also, am i the only one confused with the thinking of trading a 6-7million dollar Nylander for a top Defenceman? Who is going to cost the same if not more? If the reason for moving Nylander is the potential cap crunch next year with Marner and Matthews needing to sign, how does adding the same salary or more on the back end help? (OEL and Carlson just signed for 8mil aav)I don't think Dubas would think of moving any of "the big 3". Marleau at a 6 million hit for 2 more years then retirement, or Nylander at a 6 million hit for 8 years? Who do you keep? (i like Marleau, don't misread what i am saying here). It wont be any of the big 3 getting the axe if their are cuts to be made. (Zaitsev at 4.5? Hainsey at 3? Gardiner at 4.05?...they'll move other pieces to save money if it comes to it, and promote Liljegren for example at peanuts $$). Nylanders don't grow on trees people, 5 years ago we would have killed for him.

Reactions: Menzinger

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
Kyper is dumb though. The logical choice is Marleau. The next logical choice is Martin.

Martin + Marleau = 9m

I think Kyper's argument isn't about freeing money, but securing a quality D-man AND freeing up money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad