How likely is this scenario involving Tavares and Nylander? Does it make sense?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
BUMP

Thought it might be fun to BUMP this thread, given the current circumstances.

I was roasted by many for this thread over a year ago, and it is quite funny how some who slagged JT are those who are singing his praises now, and interesting how people's perceptions of Nylander have changed in the last while. I would hazard a guess a poll now on whether you would rather have JT + assets for Nylander or just Nylander I think would look a lot different now. It seems many have changed their tune.

Despite the thread topic I personally like Nylander and hope we keep him, and Dubas wants to keep him, but there is a possible likelihood Nylander doesn't want to take a discount and things change. Let's hope all works out and he is a Leaf for a very long time.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
BUMP

I was roasted by many for this thread over a year ago, and it is quite funny how some who slagged JT are those who are singing his praises now, and interesting how people's perceptions of Nylander have changed in the last while. I would hazard a guess a poll now on whether you would rather have JT + assets for Nylander or just Nylander I think would look a lot different now. It seems many have changed their tune.

Despite the thread topic I personally like Nylander and hope we keep him, and Dubas wants to keep him, but there is a possible likelihood Nylander doesn't want to take a discount and things change. Let's hope all works out and he is a Leaf for a very long time.

The original post is over a year old. Nylander didn't show any improvement whatsoever in the regular season last year, and was a ghost in the playoffs. Tavares, on the other hand, had the 2nd best season of his career.

It's pretty fair to say that those two things are BIG and changed a lot of peoples perspective on the issue.

If Nylander put up 90 point last season (which it seems many expected), Tavares wouldn't currently be a leaf imo.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
BUMP

Things evolve.

When you posted this, we didn't know that Nylander would not improve over his 16/17 year giving credence to the idea he may level off to where he's already at ie a 60-70 point player.

Nor did we know that Willie was going to crap his pants at the thought of going into the corner with Chara in the playoffs.

Moreover, the entire premise of Nylander vs Tavares was faulty and a stretch to begin with. You can make the argument that every dollar the Leafs spend competes against Nylander's salary...not just the money we're spending on Tavares.

The idea that the Leafs would be offering more money to Willie if Tavares wasn't here is also presumptive and, likely, a faulty premise. They are offering him what they think he is worth.

Why do you presume they would be willing to pay over market for Willie if Tavares wasn't here?

Sorry dude big swing and miss here.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
This isn't Tavares + for Nylander.

We got Tavares as a free agent.

What you are suggesting is horrible asset management. Sell low on Nylander and then pretend Tavares was part of the trade to make it look better.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Things evolve.

When you posted this, we didn't know that Nylander would not improve over his 16/17 year giving credence to the idea he may level off to where he's already at ie a 60-70 point player.

Nor did we know that Willie was going to crap his pants at the thought of going into the corner with Chara in the playoffs.

Moreover, the entire premise of Nylander vs Tavares was faulty and a stretch to begin with. You can make the argument that every dollar the Leafs spend competes against Nylander's salary...not just the money we're spending on Tavares.

The idea that the Leafs would be offering more money to Willie if Tavares wasn't here is also presumptive and, likely, a faulty premise. They are offering him what they think he is worth.

Why do you presume they would be willing to pay over market for Willie if Tavares wasn't here?

Sorry dude big swing and miss here.
"Level off"? He went from 1.14 P1/60 to 1.76 P1/60.

The only thing that levelled off for Willie was his PP luck and PP time. His primary point production rate literally went up by 54%.

None of our big guys are going to easily break 80 points. And they'd probably mostly be 90-100+ point players on other teams with less depth.

Ovechkin's P1/60 on the PP is basically the same as Willie's -- ~4. If Willie played same PP time last season, he'd have another 13 points, making him a 74 point player.

Willie did improve upon his 16/17 year. Unfortunately for him, the team also got much better and deeper, and he doesn't play as much. He'd be an 80 point guy on most other teams, and Marner/Matthews would be 90-100 point guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad