How good is Larkin?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
FoxSN pointed out Larkin is tied with Datsyuk for the best point streak since the cap. Beating both Zetterberg and Lidstrom. Wow!

All the while Larkin plays with 3rd line mates and bottom paring Dmen. Carrying this team as good as Zetterberg did in his prime.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I thought this woulda got bumped, he scored against the Stars last game which puts him up to a 13 game point streak. Pretty good

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It’s really not that worthy of a bump dude. I think Larkin is a great player, and most others agree, but half the teams in the NHL have a young player better than Larkin.

Disagree. Theres threads about if your team has had a Jagr, Do you respect Bob Mackenzie, the edmonton oilers forward depth (on the main boards?) and Barzal getting a hatty against Toronto all on the front page of the main boards.

How is talking about a 22 year old player who has the longest point streak in the NHL at 13 games and the longest since the lockout for an original 6 team irrelevant? How many games until we're allowed to talk about it?

Reactions: dood

Elimanator

The Future
Oct 6, 2013
Middle of the ocean
Larkin is definitely extremely underrated around these parts. 13 games with a point is very impressive.

He will never be in the Matthews/Eichel category but he is definitely a great center that gets too little love.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He had only 1 game without a point in December. Coincidentally Detroit got shutout in that game.

Played over 26 minutes last night against Florida. Over 60% on draws too. Absolute workhorse.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
He'd be the best centre on a lot of teams. If he had better teammates, and a better team he might get more recognition.
Amazing to me that Larkin signs a six year 6.1m deal this summer and Leafs overpaid for 7m Nylander.

Reactions: dood

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
He'd be the best centre on a lot of teams. If he had better teammates, and a better team he might get more recognition.
Amazing to me that Larkin signs a six year 6.1m deal this summer and Leafs overpaid for 7m Nylander.

Larkin got 5 years at 6.1M so it’s not as bad. The Larkin contract is pretty good for Detroit. To bad it’s wasted with a bunch of crap contracts with a crappy supporting cast

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Larkin got 5 years at 6.1M so it’s not as bad. The Larkin contract is pretty good for Detroit. To bad it’s wasted with a bunch of crap contracts with a crappy supporting cast

Thanks for the correction. We'll see how fast the Wings can turn it around....before Larkin becomes a UFA. Montreal and Buffalo seems like they have made some long term improvements just in a one season. The Atlantic looks like "beast" division in the next few years. Can Wings get into the mix?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I think in the next two years he'll get some line mates that can score like Zadina or a high pick this year. Its pretty impressive what hes doing production wise when you consider hes playing most of the time with Abdelkader. Especially because hes more of a play maker than a shooter, he gets a guy like Zadina who can put the puck in the net and his production will take off

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Larkin would have 50 points right now if he had competent linemates.

It's hard to know. On a better team, he would also have more competition for quality ice time. Sometimes being a good player on a bad team can inflate numbers too. Although, finding the right chemistry can definitely be the difference between a 70 point season and a 100 point one. There are very few players that I think you can judge outside of their context.

Reactions: azo and PRZ45MD

PRZ45MD

Aug 11, 2016
It's hard to know. On a better team, he would also have more competition for quality ice time. Sometimes being a good player on a bad team can inflate numbers too. Although, finding the right chemistry can definitely be the difference between a 70 point season and a 100 point one. There are very few players that I think you can judge outside of their context.

Great point about context.

He's as important to Detroit as McDavid is to Edmonton. He'd be a 3 or 4C for the Lightning, but they'd likely put him on a wing instead of moving either Cirelli or Paquette out of the lineup because, again, context matters.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Disagree. Theres threads about if your team has had a Jagr, Do you respect Bob Mackenzie, the edmonton oilers forward depth (on the main boards?) and Barzal getting a hatty against Toronto all on the front page of the main boards.

How is talking about a 22 year old player who has the longest point streak in the NHL at 13 games and the longest since the lockout for an original 6 team irrelevant? How many games until we're allowed to talk about it?

I realize this is mostly rhetorical and don't really personally care when people talk about it but if it hits 20+ that's when I think it will start to get attention

some psychological thing about a streak breaking out of the teens I guess,that's when Hoffman got a thread about his earlier this season for example

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
FoxSN pointed out Larkin is tied with Datsyuk for the best point streak since the cap. Beating both Zetterberg and Lidstrom. Wow!

All the while Larkin plays with 3rd line mates and bottom paring Dmen. Carrying this team as good as Zetterberg did in his prime.

Zetterberg still holds the Wings record with a 17 game point streak in 2008. But this is still an impressive feat by Larkin considering the team he has to work with.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
7YOUQIp.gif

Wt7nZrT.gif

ZeHA8CQ.gif

Pretty good second-line center. Might make the Maple Leafs' fourth line.

Reactions: dood and newfy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad