How Good IS Kyle Connor

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
KC is catching up to Laine and could even surpass him one day.

Those two together on one line is fantastic.

Connor is a year and a half older...

I almost hate to point that out because it seems a bit petty in this instance :D Still, it's a funny concept and I guess shows how established in some ways Laine already is - Connor is seen as this developing young gun, while Laine apparently is what he is.

I feel almost bad for Ehlers, in a lot of teams he'd be the most talented young winger.

Really interesting to see what kind of season Connor will be having. He's up to a good start for sure. I think it's a blessing for the Jets he doesn't have a "special skill" like Laine's shot or Ehler's speed. Instead he's pretty damn good at everything and has crafted himself into a very good "complimentary" winger - complimentary in the best sense of the word. Like he never seems to be "the guy" on the line, but he does all sorts of good things and seems to often be in the right place to benefit himself as well... he's starting to look like Perrault with scoring :)

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014

I almost hate to point that out because it seems a bit petty in this instance :D Still, it's a funny concept and I guess shows how established in some ways Laine already is - Connor is seen as this developing young gun, while Laine apparently is what he is.

I feel almost bad for Ehlers, in a lot of teams he'd be the most talented young winger.

Really interesting to see what kind of season Connor will be having. He's up to a good start for sure. I think it's a blessing for the Jets he doesn't have a "special skill" like Laine's shot or Ehler's speed. Instead he's pretty damn good at everything and has crafted himself into a very good "complimentary" winger - complimentary in the best sense of the word. Like he never seems to be "the guy" on the line, but he does all sorts of good things and seems to often be in the right place to benefit himself as well... he's starting to look like Perrault with scoring :)

He hasn't really had the opportunity to be "the guy" playing with Wheeler and Scheifele. Trying to be "the guy" on that line would have likely got him demoted last season. Those players are to good and established for a young player like Connor to be taking to much puck time away from them. He found a role on that line and played it absolutely perfectly. Now Connor is the heart of this 2nd line and each game he looks to be taking on more of that role and the line has been getting better each game as a result. It's likely going to take some time for him to fully adjust to that role and develop the tendencies to hang on to the puck a little more and take things into his own hands on a more regular basis. The more Connor has the puck the better that line will be. In the NCAA Connor was more of an opportunistic scoring winger, but as we have seen he has a lot more than that to offer as he matures as a player. He has the mind for the game and the skills to be a line driving winger. Which really aren't all that common. Not to many young players are as efficient with the puck as him. He almost always makes the right play and knows exactly when he can or shouldn't pull a skilled play off. As I stated here before the season started, Connor could end up the best player on this team over the next couple years or so. In my opinion, he is already the 3rd best forward on the team.

But the greatest part about all of this is Connor, Laine and Ehlers are all such greatly different players. The Jets have a very good chance to get Connor and Laine locked up on reasonable contracts this summer, and if they do, the future is very bright. Laine has to many holes in his game to demand 10+ mill, I think 7.5-8 mill could be the number as you will pay for his goal scoring and untapped potential. I believe Connor takes 7 if he keeps this pace up. Which is great for how good these 2 players should be going forward. Having Scheifele at a low rate and the captain at 8.25 sets the standard pretty well in regards to landing these UFA at reasonable rates. I'm a big believer that a team like Toronto for example, hurt their ability to sign their RFA at good deals by bringing in Tavaras at 11 mill. How does Marner take multiple millions less if he outscores JT this season? Same concept for say Connor, he likely doesn't outproduce Wheeler this season, how can he possibly ask for more than Wheeler. Pretty simple math. If you got a team winning culture built and key pieces buying into it, I think team comparisons end up being more relevant than league comparisons. Do you think Laine is arrogant enough to ask for more than Wheeler? I don't think so, but if Jets brought in JT at 11 mill, you bet your ass Laine isn't signing long-term for 8 mill and would look for a bridge.

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Too bad we're paying Burmistrov 2.0 $6.25 M with a cap hit of $ 6 mil for the next 5 years when the Jets need to sign real talent like Connnor and Morrissey!

Is this a fact here Sip ? that Burmistrov is still being paid by the Jets ?? I thought when a player is traded, or picked up on waivers from another team, then that team that aquires him, also is responsible for his contract payments ?? Since Burmistrov went to Arizona or Colorado --wouldn't the team that aquired him last, also assume financial reponsibility for his contract demands ??

If anybody knows how this works, please comment. It makes sense to me that if a player is traded or aquired thru waivers, his contract demands transfer to the acquiring team ?? I would think this is how it works ??

Reactions: sipowicz

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Connor just always impresses me, he can literally work with any player with no problems and produce a good amount of points. I was super impressed when he and Ehlers played together, but I didn't think he and Laine would be this good.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
What we do know:

Connor > Ehlers

You didn't answer my question there Sip ?? -- are the Jet's still paying Burmistrov $ 6.25 mil per year for the next 5 years ? I can't believe this is true ?? do you know ??

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

You didn't answer my question there Sip ?? -- are the Jet's still paying Burmistrov $ 6.25 mil per year for the next 5 years ? I can't believe this is true ?? do you know ??
Sip was referencing "Burmistrov 2.0", aka Ehlers.

Of course it's a poor analogy because the only time Burmi ever hit 60 points was one year in Junior with the Barrie Colts. Ehlers has managed it twice in the NHL already at age 22. This also raises the question: what does Sip think 60 point wingers cost?

Reactions: sipowicz and GNP

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

No the Jets aren't paying anything to Burmi

Reactions: GNP

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm trying not to let my imagination run wild here, but I'm very excited to see if this Laine/Connor combination can continue to grow. Considering they haven't spent much time together they look pretty darn good.

As someone said above, if we can sign both of these guys long term, our future is very bright.

Reactions: Ippenator

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

He is currently "the guy" on the line -
He's the guy that turned out to be the breath of sunshine that finally got things going on #2
As you've noted, he good at a lot of stuff - I won't bother pumping his tires any further by stating he's elite at a number of skills:D

Reactions: GNP

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
All I know is the bruins drafted zboril senyShen and Debrusk..
I love Debrusk but man we could have had Barzal and yes Connor.
Boy I guess we can be thanked for this... Connor is a real good one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad