How Good IS Kyle Connor

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
How Good Is Kyle Connor?

Really. I’m asking.

I’ve been both right and wrong about more than a few prospects over the years….. so I ‘m never sure If I “know what I know” or am just a fanboy.

I knew nothing about Connor whatsoever when we drafted him… I was interested in our pick, but not particularly excited. I was excited about Connor when I heard what he was doing in NCAA hockey… But, Hey I also thought Bobby Butler was gonna be a difference maker in the NHL…….. So I wasn’t that excited…..

Connor’s up and downs in the first year didn’t worry me too much because I knew he was learning the NHL game. Lots of good NHL’rs need time to adapt. Then he went down and just kind of ate up the AHL, and I was suddenly, really excited to see him play. When he was sent down out of camp last year and I was wondering where he would end up…….

But after his performance last year, and the preseason play, and last nights performance…….. I am thinking maybe he’s not just good, not just elite, but maybe he’s a “Generational talent”!!!! Like a for real superstar. He has speed hands strength and vision that seems scary to me. Some of his plays are almost other worldly.

people talk about him benefiting from #55 and #26....and he does to a point....but to my eyes he drives that line just as much as he benefits.... he makes as many plays as either of his teammates, and they benefit from his play just as much.

So How good is KC? Am I crazy or do we have a for real under the radar superstar on our team…Aside from the 4-6 other superstars we already have!!!!!

Reactions: GNP

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
He is legit. Too legit to quit.

But seriously, this kid will be a beast. I would love to see a race between him and Ehlers....

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
He's is extremely good, but the only way to measure how good exactly is when he plays some games with other line mates. It's hard to gauge his ceiling seeing him almost exclusively on that line.

I disagree. I think you can 100% tell. It's all the little one on one plays he wins, the way he comes out of scrums on the dasher with the puck...the shot, the patience with the puck. the little plays he makes that tell me a very big story.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I disagree. I think you can 100% tell. It's all the little one on one plays he wins, the way he comes out of scrums on the dasher with the puck...the shot, the patience with the puck. the little plays he makes that tell me a very big story.

The question in the topic is whether he’s going to be “just” elite, superstar or generational. That can’t be seen unless he’s on a line without such strong drivers.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
He's pretty damn good but so are Scheifele and Wheeler.

Part of the reason why he succeeds, is not only that he's good, but his style of play compliments Scheif and Wheeler. With others, he is unlikely to build that kind of chemistry. That's not a knock on his talents, it's just that the three of them share a similar "philosophy" on playing hockey, which becomes obvious watching them play.

I would wait to see how the season progresses before labeling him "generational", but so far, he has been a great, energetic presence on the ice for the Jets. A breakout season is in the books for him, I would think. Some would regard the last one as such, but I think he has got even more to offer.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
He's pretty damn good but so are Scheifele and Wheeler.

Part of the reason why he succeeds, is not only that he's good, but his style of play compliments Scheif and Wheeler. With others, he is unlikely to build that kind of chemistry. That's not a knock on his talents, it's just that the three of them share a similar "philosophy" on playing hockey, which becomes obvious watching them play.

I would wait to see how the season progresses before labeling him "generational", but so far, he has been a great, energetic presence on the ice for the Jets.

With others?

he did pretty well in the AHL without Wheels and Schief.... And in the NCAA..... so it seems he can indeed play "with others" and develop chemistry.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
With others?

he did pretty well in the AHL without Wheels and Schief.... And in the NCAA..... so it seems he can indeed play "with others" and develop chemistry.

Sure he can, but not that kind of chemistry.

With Wheeler and Scheif he is playing with people of a similar talent level as he is. Players who can respond to situations as quickly as he does, who have a knack for scoring every bit as much as he does.

If you put him with, lets say, Little and Perreault, he will surely still be good, but he's probably not going to put up the same kind of numbers. It's just a matter of fact.

Wheeler and Scheifele are monsters themselves, lets not forget that.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

With Wheeler and Scheif he is playing with people of a similar talent level as he is. Players who can respond to situations as quickly as he does, who have a knack for scoring every bit as much as he does.

If you put him with, lets say, Little and Perreault, he will surely still be good, but he's probably not going to put up the same kind of numbers. It's just a matter of fact.

I'll give you that....maybe. lots of great players do just fine and post big numbers without ever having linemates like Scheif and Wheels, so Maybe KC's numbers would be the same but the Jets wouldn't win as often as they do...maybe maybe maybe.

The bigger question is, would KC make Little and Perrault look better than they are? That's the hallmark of a great player to me. the ability to raise the game of those around you. I think he would. I think he has it, which is why the Jets were SOOOOO dominant last year.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
He's very good, but I'd like to see him create more on his own without 2 elite players on his line. Like I said in another thread, Ehlers creates more on his own, but Connor has superior hands and decision making speed. Ehlers skating allows him to create without much help.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I like Farm League quite a bit. I would actually like to see him with other players aside from Scheifele and Wheeler, perhaps to add a little balance. I wouldn't mind seeing a Scheifele-Wheeler-Ehlers line and Connor-Little-Laine bumping Perreault down. That's as much to get Ehlers up where he belongs and to provide a little more balance. I don't think Laine/Ehlers did much in the corners last year and putting Connor on that line gives them a very effective forechecker to complement their styles making that line much more dynamic. Gives Ehlers some more opportunity as well.

I'm not sure who's more talented, Ehlers or Connor, because I'm not sure Ehlers is being given quite the same chance to succeed. I will certainly give the forechecking edge to Connor by quite a wide margin.

That said I don't believe we can keep all of our riches going forward. Certainly we could bridge Connor but if he repeats or improves on his success of last year is that really what you want to do with him? Laine is obviously going to get paid. Ehlers signed a team friendly deal, as did Scheifele. I don't expect any other players to do so but it would be nice. Much like the Leafs are "expecting" Nylander to sign a team friendly contract (along the lines of the Ehlers deal) there's no real reason for him to do so. So to be fair I can't really have that expectation of either Laine or Connor doing the same. Maybe we're pleasantly surprised but I doubt it. So how do we keep Laine/Ehlers/Connor given Wheeler's 8.5? Moving Perreault and not re-signing Myers doesn't really get it done. Yeah, Kulikov comes off the books but that's still not enough as we're down a couple of defensemen if we keep figuring it that way (Kuli/Myers) so you've got to have bodies in there. Niku on ELC ok but I don't think Poolman is that 2nd pairing guy, so we still have to pay for some defense (assuming losing Trouba too). How do we keep all the riches we have on wing? Yeah, I know, enjoy it while we do but what does the future hold?

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I like Farm League quite a bit. I would actually like to see him with other players aside from Scheifele and Wheeler, perhaps to add a little balance. I wouldn't mind seeing a Scheifele-Wheeler-Ehlers line and Connor-Little-Laine bumping Perreault down. That's as much to get Ehlers up where he belongs and to provide a little more balance. I don't think Laine/Ehlers did much in the corners last year and putting Connor on that line gives them a very effective forechecker to complement their styles making that line much more dynamic. Gives Ehlers some more opportunity as well.

I'm not sure who's more talented, Ehlers or Connor, because I'm not sure Ehlers is being given quite the same chance to succeed. I will certainly give the forechecking edge to Connor by quite a wide margin.

That said I don't believe we can keep all of our riches going forward. Certainly we could bridge Connor but if he repeats or improves on his success of last year is that really what you want to do with him? Laine is obviously going to get paid. Ehlers signed a team friendly deal, as did Scheifele. I don't expect any other players to do so but it would be nice. Much like the Leafs are "expecting" Nylander to sign a team friendly contract (along the lines of the Ehlers deal) there's no real reason for him to do so. So to be fair I can't really have that expectation of either Laine or Connor doing the same. Maybe we're pleasantly surprised but I doubt it. So how do we keep Laine/Ehlers/Connor given Wheeler's 8.5? Moving Perreault and not re-signing Myers doesn't really get it done. Yeah, Kulikov comes off the books but that's still not enough as we're down a couple of defensemen if we keep figuring it that way (Kuli/Myers) so you've got to have bodies in there. Niku on ELC ok but I don't think Poolman is that 2nd pairing guy, so we still have to pay for some defense (assuming losing Trouba too). How do we keep all the riches we have on wing? Yeah, I know, enjoy it while we do but what does the future hold?

It does depend a bit on what Laine and Connor want. Reasonable contracts allow everyone to fit. For example:

upload_2018-10-5_10-31-52.png

If you move Perreault for futures, let Myers walk and assume Trouba gets another 1 year award it all fits. With the Bonuses I'd be over by $120,000 but maybe Copp and Tanev sign for $1.4 instead of $1.5.

We do need to lose one of Myers/Trouba and one of Perreault/Kulikov without taking any money back but it's possible. If Connor wants $8, you have to bridge him or Laine. You don't really have any other choice.

Reactions: Runforthecup

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
It does depend a bit on what Laine and Connor want. Reasonable contracts allow everyone to fit. For example:

View attachment 144353

If you move Perreault for futures, let Myers walk and assume Trouba gets another 1 year award it all fits. With the Bonuses I'd be over by $120,000 but maybe Copp and Tanev sign for $1.4 instead of $1.5.

We do need to lose one of Myers/Trouba and one of Perreault/Kulikov without taking any money back but it's possible. If Connor wants $8, you have to bridge him or Laine. You don't really have any other choice.

Bridging Connor and/or Laine is a lot riskier - for those worried about bridging Morrissey.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If he scores 40 this season, the Jets will be so god damn ****ed cap wise. He's going to demand 8 mil. Thank god Scheifele contract is what it is. Helps a bit.
If he demands 8mil he is getting traded for so many prospects and draft picks mountains and mountains. After all, we still have Ehlers at 6mil and not enough cap space for an 8mil player. This is not hating on Connor as if you read most of my posts I love the guy to death.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Wheeler and Scheifele are monsters themselves, lets not forget that.

That's true for all the top players. They play with other top players and each boosts the numbers of the others.

What he did in the NCAA was almost in the generational category. He elevated JT Compher and Tyler Motte to where they appeared elite.

Small sample obviously, but by the eye test last night he appears to have taken another step forward. Last year he often appeared to just be hanging around with Scheif and Wheeler, taking advantage of opportunity. He was forechecking well and retrieving pucks but not pushing play deep in the first place. Last night he was really driving the play more than I have seen before.

The generational label is getting way overused these days. Overuse it and it ceases to mean what it did. I don't think he is, or will be that. For that, last year's performance would have had to come in D+1, not D+3. But I think he is more than just good. We could use terms like Elite, franchise player, superstar. I won't be surprised if he pots 40 G this year.

I quite frequently look back at Bruins' '15 draft. DeBrusk looks like a good player ....... But they could have had Barzal, Connor and Chabot! :shakehead They are surprisingly good without those 3. They would be scary with them. :laugh:

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Perrenial 30 goal scorer. Right now as a bit of a "passenger" (for lack of better word), but in the future absolute line driver and 30 goal scorer. A legit top line talent. I think he's better suited for the NHL than Ehlers even, to be honest.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
No one really knows until he plays on a line without Wheeler and Scheifele. I'd hate to give him a pile of money and then see he sucks on another line.

Reactions: Jack722 and GNP

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He's the kind of player I call extreme skill with the ability to quickly learn the other important aspects of the game and add them to his repertoire.
He's my favorite player on any team. IMO, he is just starting to show us what he can do and we haven't seen anything yet.
He's the rare player that brings very high level shooting, passing, puck handling, IQ, work ethic and tenacity to the game.
Love watching him play - hope he's a Jet forever.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

View attachment 144353

Great job putting that together. I won't be altogether surprised to see Laine take less than what many are forecasting but I'm not sure it will be as low as $8.5. I wish for that but have just about zero expectation of that. I really don't see them bridging Laine, they just won't take that chance.

Connor on the other hand is in my mind the wildcard. I don't know how he feels about being here as he's largely flown under the radar with Laine's arrival. Does he like it here? Is winning more important than a huge salary? And what if Laine puts up 50 but Connor puts up 40? He's getting PP1 time, playing top line, it's not inconceivable given his hands and linemates. How do you ask a 40 goal scorer to take $6? All of these guys have egos, so if Marner is getting $8 how is Connor going to feel about a $6 offer? Probably pretty insulted. Honestly I look at the Toronto situation with Nylander and can't believe they actually publicly stated players should take a discount to play for Toronto. Uh, no, not happening. Now I do think Nylander should get a contract roughly what Ehlers % of cap is, whatever that works out to in current dollars. It's less than his ask but more than the rumored offer. I also think that Marner is going to be tough to sign next year for them. Basically Winnipeg and Toronto are in the same boat in many ways, we just got lucky with Ehlers and Scheifele signing bargain deals. My guess is they bridge Connor out of necessity and to buy some further time to clear the books but heaven help us if Connor pots another couple of 30+ goal seasons while on a bridge (which based on Trouba's ridiculous award might be $6 anyway :eek:).

I guess I'm just a little less optimistic in terms of how this is all going to work out. Let's say Laine takes $9.5 and Connor wants $7.5. It's nice to point to Ehlers and Scheifele's relative bargain contracts but we can't realistically expect either Laine or Connor to take home team discounts, it's just not the way it works in reality. Those discounts are the exception rather than the rule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->