How Good IS Kyle Connor

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I really wish we hadn't signed Wheeler to that long-term deal with how Connor has been out of the gate. It just makes Jets cap math so much harder.

Here's hoping for higher gas prices so that the cap goes up at a higher rate. :sarcasm:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
What do you base that on? He looks good there? Of course he does. So has every other left winger who has had the opportunity. You can't say that he is better there than Ehlers would be when Ehlers was just as productive - and without Wheeler.

I don't think anyone is critiquing Connor's play. It has been very good. But there is no basis for saying it is better than some other player would be there. It isn't a matter of saying that Ehlers 'deserves' that spot over Connor. It is about trying to get the most production out of all 4 lines combined.

Ehlers can probably carry a line - but not the line he is on. Not sure anybody could carry that line, but Perreault might be better there.

I base it off how consistently good he looks on their line, how he fits the style, matches speeds, finishes chances. Sure others look good playing in his spot, but they did not match his role.

He is driving the line, not just looking good on it. Ehlers looked good but I never saw him carry the line, Patty either. They fed well off that line, while Connor has fed the line.

Also, Scheif and Wheeler have Maurice’s ear, guaranteed they have input on the winger Maurice’s puts with them, both liking Connor I am sure because he does some of the heavy lifting for them.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I really wish we hadn't signed Wheeler to that long-term deal with how Connor has been out of the gate. It just makes Jets cap math so much harder.

Here's hoping for higher gas prices so that the cap goes up at a higher rate. :sarcasm:
Actually the cap hits are structured well for the Jets. I expect every RFA player going forward other than Laine will be bridged to buy time and then extended long term as salary comes off the books as the Jets say good bye to their older core.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I like Connor where ever you put him - no issues with trying him with Laine / Little if that were to come about.
Maybe he's ready to drive his own line -
I have to admit, I'd like to see him with Laine for a few shifts - maybe there's something there that we're missing.

In the few glimpses I've seen of KC on a line with Laine the two have actually looked pretty good together. While it would suck to break up the chemistry on the first line, Ehlers has played with those two before and done well, just not as good as KC has plugged in there imo.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I base it off how consistently good he looks on their line, how he fits the style, matches speeds, finishes chances. Sure others look good playing in his spot, but they did not match his role.

He is driving the line, not just looking good on it. Ehlers looked good but I never saw him carry the line, Patty either. They fed well off that line, while Connor has fed the line.

Also, Scheif and Wheeler have Maurice’s ear, guaranteed they have input on the winger Maurice’s puts with them, both liking Connor I am sure because he does some of the heavy lifting for them.

Fair enough. I understand how he seems to be such a good fit there. But that doesn't preclude someone else being just as good a fit but a little differently. And then there is the possibility that his style and abilities would be even more productive somewhere else.

The fact is that we seem to have some fairly serious problems elsewhere that may require breaking up CSW in order to fix - regardless of how good CSW may be together.

I agree that Scheif's and Wheeler's status gives them input. They need to see the bigger picture too.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Fair enough. I understand how he seems to be such a good fit there. But that doesn't preclude someone else being just as good a fit but a little differently. And then there is the possibility that his style and abilities would be even more productive somewhere else.

The fact is that we seem to have some fairly serious problems elsewhere that may require breaking up CSW in order to fix - regardless of how good CSW may be together.

I agree that Scheif's and Wheeler's status gives them input. They need to see the bigger picture too.

Pretty safe bet by seasons end all those wingers will have had time on the first line.

Reactions: Hobby Bull

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Actually the cap hits are structured well for the Jets. I expect every RFA player going forward other than Laine will be bridged to buy time and then extended long term as salary comes off the books as the Jets say good bye to their older core.

And how is that a desirable state of things? These players are not going to get cheaper if you keep bridging them.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And how is that a desirable state of things? These players are not going to get cheaper if you keep bridging them.
They won't get cheaper, but bridging allows you to hold on to valuable vets for a couple more years and as their contracts expire cap space is freed up to pay the long term contracts to your top young players. The teams fought hard for a CBA that gives them strong leverage over players coming off their ELC's with the intent of holding down salaries until players started approaching UFA status. Some GM's have been pissing away this advantage over the last few seasons hamstringing teams tighter to the cap earlier than they need to be. With the trend of more top players being signed long term out of their ELC's we are also seeing players demand open market money for 2nd contracts not blended RFA and UFA money. IMO other than for the true superstars if you can't sign a player long term taking into account RFA years you might as well bridge them as you will be paying close to the same amount after the bridge anyways. And as a side benefit you are able to hold on to contributing vets longer.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Connor is much better than Ehlers. Does everything better than Laine besides that shot (Connors is very deadly as well though).

Its looking like hes going to take another step this year. What doesn't this kid do well? Very good forechecker, wins battles along the boards, excellent puck handling skills, makes smart plays, handles the puck with confidants in tight areas, has a phenomenal shot, top notch speed, can make plays at full speed as good as anyone. I think a couple years down the road he has the potential to be the Jets best player. Could end up a top 5 winger in the league.

People trying to take something away from him because he plays with talent and doesn't carry his own line must also consider that he is also playing against teams top shut down line. That means something too.

Much better than Ehlers?

They are both born in 1996 and when you look their resumes nothing suggest that Connor is better than Ehlers. It's the other way around.

His start to the season has been hot and people start talking about him being near generational. Please hold your horses. His career high is 57 points. I repeat 57 points. 0.65 ppg so far in the league.

I mean it could be possible that he somehow has a massive leap in talent but most likely scenario is that he ends up top 30 winger in the league, not top 5.

8 games is early but enough sample size to begin evaluating the seasons expectations.

Connor leading the Jets in points. Has looked very good in every game I have watched so far.

Ehlers has looked better than he has been over the last couple games. But that line needs to get going soon. Laine has looked horrible 93% of the time at 5on5.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Connor looked like an elite player the first few games, he was absolutely flying all over the ice, attacking the net every chance he could. I said he would have 35+ this year. Since then you've barely noticed him out there. (Outside the third last game)

Reactions: GNP

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Connor looked like an elite player the first few games, he was absolutely flying all over the ice, attacking the net every chance he could. I said he would have 35+ this year. Since then you've barely noticed him out there. (Outside the third last game)
So he's still ahead of Ehlers for now, but, by not as much? (regarding only this season.)

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Connor's shoot first, even if he isn't in scoring position is bothersome, quite a few times Schief (way better shot) and Wheeler (better shot) are wide open and Connor lets fly from the boards with no one in front, that me first style of play is BS at times!

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Connor hasn't looked that good to me at all over the last 4 games or so. He seems like he's not hustling like he was to start the season in games 1 thru 3. He seems quite invisible out there, and it seems like he's waiting for those "easy goals." Although he leads the Jets in scoring, he hasn't been hustling the way we need him to. I know he leads the Jets in scoring, however it's easier to score on that 1st line, and he has those great sniper hands.

I think moving him down to play with Ehlers is a great idea. We'll now see what he's made of, instead of being sheltered by Scheif and Wheeler. I think Connor has it in him, as I do with Ehlers, but their both going to have to turn it up. I think Ehlers has played way better than Connor over the last 3-4 games. Ehlers will start to score, as Little is starting to play a lot better.

It seems to me that lately Connor has just been floating out there, looking for those easy goals within 5 feet of the net. I'd like to see him turn up the intensity level again.

Last edited:
Reactions: kylbaz and sipowicz

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He is in his 2nd season and was getting most team's best checking lines. I think he will excel with Little and Ehlers (I'd try MP too).

My only worry is that if Little centers those two wingers with that much speed, will those old, declining legs be able to keep up with them....

I'd like to see Little with MP and Lemieux and Roslo between KC and Ehlers.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Connor hasn't looked that good to me at all over the last 4 games or so. He seems like he's not hustling like he was to start the season in games 1 thru 3. He seems quite invisible out there, and it seems like he's waiting for those "easy goals." Although he leads the Jets in scoring, he hasn't been hustling the way we need him to. I know he leads the Jets in scoring, however it's easier to score on that 1st line, and he has those great sniper hands.

I think moving him down to play with Ehlers is a great idea. We'll now see what he's made of, instead of being sheltered by Scheif and Wheeler. I think Connor has it in him, as I do with Ehlers, but their both going to have to turn it up. I think Ehlers has played way better than Connor over the last 4-4 games. Ehlers will start to score, as Little is starting to play a lot better.

It seems to me that lately Connor has just been floating out there, looking for those easy goals within 5 feet of the net. I'd like to see him turn up the intensity level again.
It will be good to see what Connor can do in a secondary role as we have already seen Laine and Ehlers do it. I imagine Connor will be fine with little and no one will whine about how such a top player deserves a great centre. How we are picking on him.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
At this time, I would say Connor is the more complete hockey player of either Ehlers and Laine. I trust him to more defensively responsible at end of games and more aware in overtime.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

If they aren't selling themselves short on a long term deal, theres no discount to giving them big money early either.

Maybe if we had bridged Ehlers we would still have Stastny...

Reactions: sipowicz

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
It will be good to see what Connor can do in a secondary role as we have already seen Laine and Ehlers do it. I imagine Connor will be fine with little and no one will whine about how such a top player deserves a great centre. How we are picking on him.

I have only seen praise for Little as of lately, and deservedly so. I think he and Lowry have been our best forwards as of late.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I have only seen praise for Little as of lately, and deservedly so. I think he and Lowry have been our best forwards as of late.

Yup, and besides it's about fitting together. Helle and Brossoit seems to be pretty much our best players, but I would not put them as a 1st D pair.

I think Connor will mesh really well with Little and Ehlers, and compliment them, as Connor and Little are very different as players, and Connor can match Ehlers speed on rushes.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Wanted to post here and Praise some connor, now that Lines got changed. They werent changed because he couldnt do anything in the top Line, they were changed because Laine was going nowhere with Little line.

Connor is definitely good, no denying that. Of course he has also got alot of help from playing in such elite line, but he has done hes part well.

Ive come to see that he is very responsible defensively. Might be nice to see Ehlers in the top line and Connor and Laine in second, with some great center.

I was hoping more explosiveness from Laine, hope it comes again around or after xmas like last year. I dont like saying this but some one should tell Laine that he can skate one hand in his stick in forecheck. Its not that Im good to educate players in NHL, but I just feel so.

Last edited by a moderator:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

What will be interesting to me is to see if Connor "Needs" a great center -
His all around game should help this line - looking forward to seeing them in action tonight.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
it's a bit weird to say, but I think Connor was the best of the CSW defensively and having Laine on there might actually magnify some of the issues of that line. I haven't been impressed in Laine's play on the left side on 2/3's of the ice as well so having him on his off-side full time with Scheif and Wheeler will be intriguing to watch

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca

I think moving him down to play with Ehlers is a great idea. We'll now see what he's made of, instead of being sheltered by Scheif and Wheeler. I think Connor has it in him, as I do with Ehlers, but their both going to have to turn it up. I think Ehlers has played way better than Connor over the last 3-4 games. Ehlers will start to score, as Little is starting to play a lot better.

First two games it looked like he was going to lead the CSW line. Weird to see such different performances in such short time.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
it's a bit weird to say, but I think Connor was the best of the CSW defensively and having Laine on there might actually magnify some of the issues of that line. I haven't been impressed in Laine's play on the left side on 2/3's of the ice as well so having him on his off-side full time with Scheif and Wheeler will be intriguing to watch

At least from the small sample we saw from the last game, LSW was much better defensively. CSW were all behind the play after losing possession countless times, but Laine never seems to give up position like that.

I think Laine is actually pretty good defending the neutral zone. The D-zone is a different story, but CSW were not better in that regard either, being hemmed in their zone a lot.

I think Connor is going to look good on the second line, his play style seems to be much better match there than Laine. I think Laine was too slow for that line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad