How Good IS Kyle Connor

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Hmm but then again, I just checked the stats and Ehlers had one point more than Connor in even strength situations, while playing on a really bad line (albeit with some more games played). He also had vastly better Corsi (Connor was in fact negative). Not wanting to take anything away from Connor but it may make more sense to compare his even strength production vs Ehlers than Wheeler considering that is what was being discussed, and Ehlers actually performed really well in that comparison.

That is an interesting evaluation.

But a few more points or not I still like what Connor brings to the team more than Ehlers. We will see how they produce going forward. I'm putting my money is on Connor though. But at the end of the day... Jets have some very good players regardless of who is better than who. It will be interesting to see how this crop of talent shakes out once these players hit their prime.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
That is an interesting evaluation.

But a few more points or not I still like what Connor brings to the team more than Ehlers. We will see how they produce going forward. I'm putting my money is on Connor though. But at the end of the day... Jets have some very good players regardless of who is better than who. It will be interesting to see how this crop of talent shakes out once these players hit their prime.

At this point I’d probably be inclined to do the same. The only reason I brought up the even strength numbers was because you were saying how close Connor was to Wheeler, so I was surprised to find that so was Ehlers. So in the end it just makes Wheeler look worse more so than being a solid argument in the Connor vs Ehlers discussion :)

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
not even close

laine is the best winger we have

When it comes to all around game I'd still give it to Wheeler. Laine is getting better though. Connor excels at different aspects of the game. Ehlers is having a rough start to the season. Perreault is super underrated in how he provides support on this team.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I think its much better to compare KC to Boeser and Pastarnk.

And Ehlers to Nylander

Laine to Matthews and Ovie ;)

Thats more fun.....

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
We don't know how good Kyle Connor is going to be yet -- but I'm sure he will be a prolific scorer in the NHL. He has the best scoring hands on the Jets, and can really pick those corners. I'd say he gets 40 goals this year, and maybe around 45 ?? He has a lightning quick release as well. He's off to a great start. This guy is a winner for the Jets.

Note-- when I say "best hands" on the Jets -- that doesn't include from 25 ft out - that goes to Laine.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
not even close

laine is the best winger we have

Obviously, esp. going forward.

But technically he said nothing wrong. He said Connor is our best winger after Wheeler, though I guess Ehlers should be that 3rd best winger.

Most statistical / blind / non-biased analysis agree that the winger order for Jets is:

1. Laine
2. Wheeler
3. Ehlers
4. Connor or Perreault

Though Connor has been developing rapidly, so in the end of this season he might just overtake Ehlers, who knows. And certainly will if he is "enjoying highlife" sheltered with CSW while Ehlers is sitting on the bench and playing 10 minutes with rookies.

@garret9 took an average of 4 different stat ranking (EW's WAR, Corisica's WAR, Corsica/DailyFaceoff Star Rating, and Game Score), and made up following picture:

Screen_Shot_2018-10-04_at_10.42.16_AM.png

Find his original post on https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-19-stats-and-underlying-metrics-thread.2529905/page-2

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How would that impact the chemistry on the team. Chef and Ehlers specifically - How would they feel if KC and Laine sign monster contracts and detract from the teams chance to sign the players they need in a cup run? When they took team friendly deals to make the team competitive?

That isn't what they did. Both got market value for where they were at the time they signed.

Reactions: Naturaledge

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Connor should continue to play with Schiefele and Wheeler. Injuries and dry spells happen and player lines will get adjusted. I am sure we’ll see Connor and Ehlers in different lines throughout the year.

But it is broke. We have 3 scoring lines. 2 are not working. The 3 are a unit.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Your disapproval with Ehlers usage has zilch to do with Connor being the best player for that line.

If you believe he should have that spot over Connor, then i can 100% state you being bias by putting your wants over whats best for the team.

Connor easily deserves that spot, drives that line way better than either Laine or Ehlers, carries the load more, and fits perfectly between Wheels and Scheif. Anyone critiquing his play is so out to lunch.

Love Ehlers, but he has a great opportunity to give us a 3rd scoring line, he is a vet now and needs to carry a line, not rely on others to do it for him.

What do you base that on? He looks good there? Of course he does. So has every other left winger who has had the opportunity. You can't say that he is better there than Ehlers would be when Ehlers was just as productive - and without Wheeler.

I don't think anyone is critiquing Connor's play. It has been very good. But there is no basis for saying it is better than some other player would be there. It isn't a matter of saying that Ehlers 'deserves' that spot over Connor. It is about trying to get the most production out of all 4 lines combined.

Ehlers can probably carry a line - but not the line he is on. Not sure anybody could carry that line, but Perreault might be better there.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I like Connor where ever you put him - no issues with trying him with Laine / Little if that were to come about.
Maybe he's ready to drive his own line -
I have to admit, I'd like to see him with Laine for a few shifts - maybe there's something there that we're missing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad