How Good IS Kyle Connor

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I don't know if I'd agree with this ? it's a little to early to tell ? Did Kane have back to back 30 + goal seasons at 20-21 years old ?-- I don't know if he did ? Connor will likely score 35 goals this year, and I can see him scoring 40 next year.

In his prime, I can see him having 80- to 90 point seasons.

At this point the only thing he's lacking is the ability to score from 20-25 feet out, with a hard slapper, or wrister --which he could develop.
Kane is at another level in terms of how he processes the game offensively, making him an elite playmaker along with his outstanding scoring ability. Connor just doesn't have the same ability to dissect a defense as Kane, which sets Kane apart. Kane also has better puckhandling skills. I think the only area where Connor might have a slight edge is in his array of shots.

Having said that, Kane has been really poor defensively over the past few years, and it's reflected in poor shot metrics. Connor doesn't shine defensively, but he's been better than Kane if you go by metrics. Kane is a good example of offensive talent overcoming shot metrics.

upload_2019-3-25_1-8-31.png

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Kane is at another level in terms of how he processes the game offensively, making him an elite playmaker along with his outstanding scoring ability. Connor just doesn't have the same ability to dissect a defense as Kane, which sets Kane apart. Kane also has better puckhandling skills. I think the only area where Connor might have a slight edge is in his array of shots.

Having said that, Kane has been really poor defensively over the past few years, and it's reflected in poor shot metrics. Connor doesn't shine defensively, but he's been better than Kane if you go by metrics. Kane is a good example of offensive talent overcoming shot metrics.

View attachment 204547

You make some good points Whileee - however I think your comparing Kane at around 29 years old--in his prime, to a guy that isn't close to his prime in Connor. It may very well be that Connor won't match what Kane has done, but he won't be to far off the mark in his prime. Anyway you look at it, the Jet's have a real winner in Connor, and also Ehlers for that matter.

The "advantage" of not having superstars , is you don't have to pay them $ 11 or 12 mil -- you can pay them around $ 7mil.

Are you not better off with more players that are way above average at $ 7 mil, then just 2-3 players your paying $ 11-12 mil to. If you look at Chicago, and Edmonton you'll have your answer.

In this tight Cap league -- I think your better having talent spread through all your lineup, and have better balance. I think Tampa is also a good example of this.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

You make some good points Whileee - however I think your comparing Kane at around 29 years old--in his prime, to a guy that isn't close to his prime in Connor. It may very well be that Connor won't match what Kane has done, but he won't be to far off the mark in his prime. Anyway you look at it, the Jet's have a real winner in Connor, and also Ehlers for that matter.

The "advantage" of not having superstars , is you don't have to pay them $ 11 or 12 mil -- you can pay them around $ 7mil.

Are you not better off with more players that are way above average at $ 7 mil, then just 2-3 players your paying $ 11-12 mil to. If you look at Chicago, and Edmonton you'll have your answer.

In this tight Cap league -- I think your better having talent spread through all your lineup, and have better balance. I think Tampa is also a good example of this.
Kane was elite at Connor's age, including a fantastic playoff season that culminated in a Cup for the Hawks.

I don't entirely disagree with your point about the cap distribution. Tying up a big portion of the cap in a couple of players is a risky strategy. I ideally, you want to make a run before you have to either overpay all your stars or move them out. So far, Chevy has done a reasonable job with the cap, but the Jets are going to have a considerable challenge in the next few years.

Reactions: GNP

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
Farmboy is good but not Kane good. He is not a line driver and needs good playmaker to thrive. Otherwise he is inconsistant-that was obvious when he was playing with Little and Laine. Ten games and zero points. He is not very good defensively either, but that close quarters stick handling is very impressive. It is like watching close-up magic!
There is still one element that is totally missing in his game-phisicality. Guy seems never to hit anyone. Some hitting would make his game more nasty and complete IMO.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Farmboy is good but not Kane good. He is not a line driver and needs good playmaker to thrive. Otherwise he is inconsistant-that was obvious when he was playing with Little and Laine. Ten games and zero points. He is not very good defensively either, but that close quarters stick handling is very impressive. It is like watching close-up magic!
There is still one element that is totally missing in his game-phisicality. Guy seems never to hit anyone. Some hitting would make his game more nasty and complete IMO.

I think he'd have to put on 10- 15 lbs of muscle before he starting hitting anyone. Right now he'd just get hurt. like Ehlers and Morrissey this year. If he put on some weight that would help, but may slow him down. He is quite slim - frame wise, and doesn't have much mass to him. More of a "white collar player"-than a blue collar player.

I'd leave the hitting up to Lowry, Tanev, and some of our bigger defenseman.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I don't like comparing players but it took Kane 9 years to have 2 30+ goal seasons ... Connor did it in his 2nd and 3rd years in the NHL.
I'm not saying Connor is better but he has not played 9 seasons with an elite center like Toews.

Reactions: LowLefty and GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't like comparing players but it took Kane 9 years to have 2 30+ goal seasons ... Connor did it in his 2nd and 3rd years in the NHL.
I'm not saying Connor is better but he has not played 9 seasons with an elite center like Toews.

Very good point you make there Raider -- it took Kane 9 years to have 2 30+ goal seasons. I'll bet Connor hits 40 goals next year, so that will be "3 in a row" We really don't know what his peak will be in his prime.

Also like you say -Kane had Toews setting him up -- and I think Connor has as accurate shot as anyone in the NHL. He could use some velocity on his shot from further out, but other than that, he's an elite goal scorer.

Last edited:

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002

Very good point you make there Raider -- it took Kane 9 years to have 2 30+ goal seasons. I'll bet Connor hits 40 goals next year, so that will be "3 in a row" We really don't know what his peak will be in his prime.

Also like you say -Kane had Toews setting him up -- and I think Connor has as accurate shot as anyone in the NHL. He could use some velocity on his shot from further out, but other than that, he's an elite goal scorer.

This is the second season Toews has more than 70pts... In 15-16 when Kane had 106pts, Toews scored 58pts in 80 games.

It's not like Connor has had to play with scrubs.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

pretty sure it was the other way around... Kane was setting Toews up. Kane in his first 3 years was two 70 point years, and a PPG+ year, as well as a PPG+ PO performer with a Conn Smythe under his belt. It's not like KC has been playing with poor linemates. Scheifele+Wheeler are better than any 2 that Kane has every played with.

edit - nvm the CS came in their 2nd cup, 1st was Toews

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

No, he's not as good as Kane - and as others have pointed out, he has no right to be at 22 yrs old.
But when I see this level of talent, the upside is huge - we don't know how far he can take it but he's far from done.

Could he be driving a line in a couple of years? I wouldn't be surprised but that doesn't need to be his role.
If his skating and puck handling continue to improve, he won't need a ton of talent on his line to get things done - he just needs the puck.

I like his consistency - going 10 games is not a disaster. It certainly isn't a point I would be measuring him on.
What I also like is how he spreads his goals out - this recent hatty was his first. He's not streaky.

He doesn't appear to need a lot of physical in his game - he handles himself very well in heavy traffic, in a cycle or in front of the net.
He doesn't hit because he doesn't need to - he can hang on to the puck or strip if without hitting - unique talent, no?
It's not like he avoids the physical side of the game - the opposite actually.

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
Connor is consistant when having a good playmaker as center. If not, his production fades away. We will see in few years what his peak will be. I bet it it will be something like ”poor man’s Kane” which would be very good.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He doesn't appear to need a lot of physical in his game - he handles himself very well in heavy traffic, in a cycle or in front of the net.
He doesn't hit because he doesn't need to - he can hang on to the puck or strip if without hitting - unique talent, no?
It's not like he avoids the physical side of the game - the opposite actually.
yea Connor doesn't hit that much, but he still goes to the dirty areas and is fine along the boards. the guy is not built at all either lol. He isn't a physical player but could play a physical player's offensive game. For instance: he can score dirty goals if needed and is not just a perimeter player

Reactions: LowLefty and GNP

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Connor is consistant when having a good playmaker as center. If not, his production fades away. We will see in few years what his peak will be. I bet it it will be something like ”poor man’s Kane” which would be very good.

Agree -
Pretty much like all good wingers at his age - but I can see him driving his own game as he matures.
I'm betting his upside is higher - but keep in mind, I'm a huge KC fan and you know how us fans see our favorite players ;)

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017

I don't know if I'd agree with this ? it's a little to early to tell ? Did Kane have back to back 30 + goal seasons at 20-21 years old ?-- I don't know if he did ? Connor will likely score 35 goals this year, and I can see him scoring 40 next year.

Kane is far more of a play maker and lots of assists. He also plays pretty much the opposite and slows the game down.

The Colonel is doing things on the fore check and along the boards that many other goal scorers will not do. Others have a better corsi and D zone play still needs work yes, but I think he is a player who does what the coach wants as well, doesn't rock the boat or whiner.

His consistency is fantastic & I appreciate the simplicity of his game.

I feel far more comfortable with Connor on the team going into signing a contract this summer, we know what we have here.

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP and LowLefty

iannn

Jan 7, 2010
I love me some KFC but there's some serious underrating of Kane going on here. KFC can definitely be a poor man's Kane, and there's nothing wrong with that. But Kane is and probably always will be on another level

Reactions: jepjepjoo

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I was trying to think of a good comparable for Connor...maybe a player like Fillip Forsberg. Connor has great hands and agility, and a nose for the net. I figure he'll peak at 40 + 40 for PPG. I don't know how the Jets will manage to keep him. If a trade has to happen though....it will bring back something nice.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Really underscores the need to either retain Hayes or find a replacement fast. Chevy obviously knows that this is our biggest need, because he's traded for it twice in a row now at the TD.

Would love to have this position filled permanently.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
You’d want the worst player on a likely bigger contract? That makes tons of sense.
this such a polarizing discussion b/w the two... if you had to chose one who'd it be. ive wavered on it through the year but i have been leaning towards Ehlers as of late too

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
this such a polarizing discussion b/w the two... if you had to chose one who'd it be. ive wavered on it through the year but i have been leaning towards Ehlers as of late too

They both have their uses and I really don’t think Connor’s contract is gonna break the bank too bad. Ehlers’ contract is just way too valuable on a cap team like ours. Second only to Scheif.

Reactions: raideralex99

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Really underscores the need to either retain Hayes or find a replacement fast. Chevy obviously knows that this is our biggest need, because he's traded for it twice in a row now at the TD.

Would love to have this position filled permanently.

It’s not our biggest need. If adding a 2c to a team puts your center depth in the top 5, it wasn’t bad to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad