How Good IS Kyle Connor

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Re. Kane vs Connor........

Interesting question.....

Kane walked on to a team that was ready to win a cup. At 19...Kane was exactly what he has been ever since, a point per game superstar.

Connor walked on younger team that is still developing at 20 years old and has been developing himself, he has yet to have a PPG season...But Connor has a back to back 30 goal seasons, could still hit 40 this season(unlikely...but possible)

Kane is known to be a difficult personality whereas Connor seems to be a friendly humble kid.

Kane's hair is a comparable to a hate crime, Connor has a sick flow.

I think Connor has more to show us and I prefer goals to assists..........

It's closer than some here want to make it and based on the hair alone I take Connor.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Offensively he's great - a legitimate top-6 winger in the league. He's no 2-way player though, and has problems with decision making when chasing the puck. He needs to learn how to better read an anticipate the play when defending, because when he gets to the DZ, he's pretty clueless.

Reactions: Duke749

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Offensively he's great - a legitimate top-6 winger in the league. He's no 2-way player though, and has problems with decision making when chasing the puck. He needs to learn how to better read an anticipate the play when defending, because when he gets to the DZ, he's pretty clueless.

I think he’s pretty good in his own end also. Maurice wouldn’t use him on the PK if he wasn’t.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

The D game is usually a little slower developing - especially in offensively gifted players.
As noted earlier, he's not going to be the guy known for his D - but he has enough O skill to make up for it.

At the age of 22, I like where he is -

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Yes he would. PK is very different then 5on5 defending. Connor can not make the proper reads a lot of the time. If Connor is pretty good in his own end then Ehlers is a shoe in for the Selke.

I’ve never seen anything from Connor that would say he’s bad defensively.

Reactions: KB1971

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I’ve never seen anything from Connor that would say he’s bad defensively.

Well idk what to tell you then except maybe you’re not looking for the right things? :dunno: Spottinf defensive mistakes outside of blatantly obvious stuff missed by the defensemen is not always easy to spot though.

You... uh... haven't seen Matt Hendricks on the PK, have you?

How about that backcheck on the 2 on 1 against San Jose?

Wasn’t he gassed at the end of a shift there? That instance doesn’t seem like the best example.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
He's really not very good player. Certainly, you would never want to pay him more than half Kane's salary. Won't even score 42 goals this year.

Jake Barnes

Apr 25, 2018
Winnipeg
This is a bit much, no?

In terms of boxcar stats, not really.

Kucherov

D+2: 9 + 9 (18) 52 games
D+3: 29 + 36 (65)
D+4: 30 + 36 (66)

Connor

D+2: 31 + 26 (57)
D+3: 32 + 29 (61 and counting)
D+4: ?

Obviously it's disingenuous to say peak Connor will be on the same level as peak Kucherov level based on their early production, but the initial claim isn't wrong. Their early career production is similar. Personally, I don't think Connor ends up hitting Kucherov's level. I do think he's going to be real good, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 40g +60a season out of him at his peak.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
In terms of boxcar stats, not really.

Kucherov

D+2: 9 + 9 (18) 52 games
D+3: 29 + 36 (65)
D+4: 30 + 36 (66)

Connor

D+2: 31 + 26 (57)
D+3: 32 + 29 (61 and counting)
D+4: ?

Obviously it's disingenuous to say peak Connor will be on the same level as peak Kucherov level based on their early production, but the initial claim isn't wrong. Their early career production is similar. Personally, I don't think Connor ends up hitting Kucherov's level. I do think he's going to be real good, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 40g +60a season out of him at his peak.

Good god this board couldn’t get any higher on the highs and any lower on the lows. This is getting sad.

Reactions: Huffer

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
How many goals do you think Ehlers will end the season with 25?
No, he will finish with less than 25. Probably 22 goals. Connor has a better scoring touch. I bet Connor hits 38 this year and will score 42 next year. He's going to cost the Jets big dollars, like $7 or more depending on the playoffs. They both better start scoring some playoff goals.

Reactions: Teppo Numenor

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
Good god this board couldn’t get any higher on the highs and any lower on the lows. This is getting sad.
Its completely appropriate to have this discussion at this time. He was just named player of the week. It will be interesting to watch how he develops. He looks like a solid bet for 30 goals per season annually. A carreer season could be 40G And 60A

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
In the last 3 games for sure. 5 g 3 a to Ehlers???
I am looking more at where they are after so much time in the league. If KC picks up his defensive game next year like Ehlers has this year, he will be a much better player the way we can play

Whodey204

Oct 2, 2017
Connor is a good player but the Kane comparisons are crazy. Hes a long way from 40g and 60 assists too.

Further, he must have at least 4 or 5 empty netters this year, and spent the entire year on PP1. Most of the season on the first line too. Some good fortune definitely on his side.

To me, he looks like a consistent 30-35g scorer and 60-70 points. Might score 40 once or twice in his career but is more of a finisher than a playmaker. Great production, but Kane is on a different level.

This board massively overreacts to short term highs and lows.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Connor is a good player but the Kane comparisons are crazy. Hes a long way from 40g and 60 assists too.

Further, he must have at least 4 or 5 empty netters this year, and spent the entire year on PP1. Most of the season on the first line too. Some good fortune definitely on his side.

To me, he looks like a consistent 30-35g scorer and 60-70 points. Might score 40 once or twice in his career but is more of a finisher than a playmaker. Great production, but Kane is on a different level.

This board massively overreacts to short term highs and lows.
Why how many open nets did Kane have? He also probably played his whole career on the first pp and 1st line.
Connor doesn't need to be Kane. Kane was 1st overall. And a future Hall of Famer I'll be happy if Connor is a very good 1st liner.
But players have always compared to the players who have come before them even if they are not as good. I mean Schief was compared to Yzerman. Mathews compared to Lemieux.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad