How does the D Corps get fixed?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Everyone is forgetting Vladislav Gavrikov. He was #1 defenseman at the WJC last year, just like Werenski and was team captain, just like Werenski nd is playing great in Russia this year. He's 20, 6'3'' 205 and can move bodies. He can be special. If HE pans out? Holy crap.

Good point. Isn't he the guy klichkobro has been posting about recently?
I didn't realize he was a Russian version of Werenski.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Everyone is forgetting Vladislav Gavrikov. He was #1 defenseman at the WJC last year, just like Werenski and was team captain, just like Werenski nd is playing great in Russia this year. He's 20, 6'3'' 205 and can move bodies. He can be special. If HE pans out? Holy crap.

I tend to not give a crap about what our prospects are doing in Europe. Doesn't mean much until they come over. Forget? Nah, too apathetic to even give it a thought.

That's even more true to those playing in the KHL. I'll believe they want to play here when they sign a contract, come over to the AHL, and play more than a season in the AHL before complaining and heading back to Russia.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I tend to not give a crap about what our prospects are doing in Europe. Doesn't mean much until they come over. Forget? Nah, too apathetic to even give it a thought.

That's even more true to those playing in the KHL. I'll believe they want to play here when they sign a contract, come over to the AHL, and play more than a season in the AHL before complaining and heading back to Russia.

yeah, look at Kuznetzov. :sarcasm:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Good point. Isn't he the guy klichkobro has been posting about recently?
I didn't realize he was a Russian version of Werenski.

I'm excited for Gavrikov. Except Gavrikov doesn't have nearly Werenski's upside. Put up zeros in the WJC.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The best part of this trade is that it forces deadweight off the back end of the defense

Now its some combination of..

Murray-Jones
Johnson-Savard
Tyutin-Goloubef

Falk/Prout

If Goloubef turns out to be what he has been and Jones continues to develop I think we're looking rock solid on the right side. And if Werenski and Murray can push Johnson out of the top 4...this D is going to be deadly.
Don't forget about that guy we drafted last year, Carlsson. I hear he is pretty solid.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Don't forget about that guy we drafted last year, Carlsson. I hear he is pretty solid.

I dont think he'll be pushing for a roster spot within two years, but I could be wrong. This was mostly a rest of this year, into next season type thing.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Bodnarchuk for Gormley? :sarcasm:

All you'd be doing is putting Prout, Falk, and Connauton on waivers. Probably.

In Prout's case, I frankly am totally unconcerned one way or the other. Falk might be an issue, but meh. Connauton we can still hang on to for the time being until we can see if Jones' shot accuracy magically improves up here; until then we probably still need him.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
In Prout's case, I frankly am totally unconcerned one way or the other. Falk might be an issue, but meh. Connauton we can still hang on to for the time being until we can see if Jones' shot accuracy magically improves up here; until then we probably still need him.

I could see #4 sticking around as a 5/6 for a couple of years.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I could see #4 sticking around as a 5/6 for a couple of years.

How?

Murray-Jones in theory should be a thing for the next 8 years. Top pair.
Johnson-Savard will be together for the next 2-3. Maybe not together, but they'll be around.
Can you dump Tyutin? Because he's paired with Golo right now.

This doesn't even consider Carlsson, Werenski, or Heatherington.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Could be? Kinda?

One needs to be waived already, right? That'd be Falk I assume. So, Gormley for Connauton? Is it worth it?

Pick up Gormley to be the 8th D? I don't know. I don't really care that much.

I'm meh on Connauton. Prout is slow and not very good. Don't see Falk sticking around after this year.

I'd prefer to move out Tyutin sooner rather than later. With Jones, Murray, Savard, Werenski...he's going to be an expensive and aging 3rd pair guy.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
How?

Murray-Jones in theory should be a thing for the next 8 years. Top pair.
Johnson-Savard will be together for the next 2-3. Maybe not together, but they'll be around.
Can you dump Tyutin? Because he's paired with Golo right now.

This doesn't even consider Carlsson, Werenski, or Heatherington.

Yeah, I think Tyutin's time is about up. I'm not 100% convinced that you will so both Savard and JJ here next season.

I don't consider Carlsson at all; not even remotely on my radar. I won't until he's signed an ELC and has played in the AHL for a season. I won't consider Werenski until he's signed an ELC. I'm considering Paliotta before either of those two and probably ahead of Heatherington.

I'm all for dumping #4 when depth pushes him outside of #7 on the depth chart.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Pick up Gormley to be the 8th D? I don't know. I don't really care that much.

I'm meh on Connauton. Prout is slow and not very good. Don't see Falk sticking around after this year.

I'd prefer to move out Tyutin sooner rather than later. With Jones, Murray, Savard, Werenski...he's going to be an expensive and aging 3rd pair guy.

Obviously Tyutin would be the guy to go but that's a whole separate issue.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Counting on a 19 year old (Werenski next year), and two unproven 20 something year olds to save our defense. 'The good' old days have returned. :laugh:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Counting on a 19 year old (Werenski next year), and two unproven 20 something year olds to save our defense. 'The good' old days have returned. :laugh:

I largely agree.

Jones makes our D slightly better now, but it won't be a big upgrade for a couple years down the road (he's 21 years old, not many dmen play top pairing minutes) and his partner Murray still hasn't shown he's necessarily pushing JJ and Savard for the top pair.

That being said I fully expect Jones and Murray to get a lot of minutes for the rest of the season - first for experience but second this is a wasted season so let them learn from their mistakes in real NHL action.

But long-term I feel good with our core on D now - much better than last week.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I think the acquisition of Jones was a long term, not short term move. So if it works long term, that is what management intended. Again from a long term perspective, I think management decided that Joey was NOT in their long term plans. Hence they made the decision to move him now when he had significant value and they could obtain in exchange another player who would fit into their long term plan.

You can argue about their decision, but once they decided that Joey did not fit long term, their decision to move him now and obtain Jones is a good one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad