How does the D Corps get fixed?

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
What has happened to Heatherington ? He seemed to be progressing well thru the system but now I do not hear any mention of him.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
He gone. Left to play in Germany

Germany You mean Erie?:)

image.png

Marry Christmas to all CBJ fans!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Yeah he's what we need more than any other type of d man. I wonder if they might still trade him someday.

Can't find the link but there was a blurb on nbcsports yesterday or the day before talking about the Minnesota GM might be looking hard for a C at the deadline. Suggested their depth a D could be helpful.

Who knows?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Can't find the link but there was a blurb on nbcsports yesterday or the day before talking about the Minnesota GM might be looking hard for a C at the deadline. Suggested their depth a D could be helpful.

Who knows?

Yeah now that Spurgeon is signed i would consider he and Granlund for Joey. Brodin was the other target, and is more valuable perhaps just for his youth. But Spurgeon is the D who would best help us.

Uncle Buck

May 4, 2014
What has happened to Heatherington ? He seemed to be progressing well thru the system but now I do not hear any mention of him.

Watched him and Paliotta with Lake Erie in Grand Rapids in December, Paliotta only D on the PP unit and Heatherington was on PK unit. First look at them since Traverse City, thought Paliotta moved puck well on PP, but struggled at times 5 on 5. Hetherington was solid defensively and even saw him rush the puck on occasion, skating has improved.

Both need to work on consistency, as a few rookie mistakes showed up, but think they are still on track for a solid shot next year. Will be interesting if the Jackets called them up for a game or two like our Red Wings did with some of their prospects this year.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
You have so much offensive prospects and one of the worst defensive lineups in the NHL.

Just give up some offence for a couple of top-4 D and build a real team for the future.

All great teams start at the back-end.

Having Savard and Johnson as #1 & #2 gets you nowhere.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This isn't necessarily a "fix", but the Jackets should be in the running for UFA Nikita Zaitsev when he comes over in the summer. I've never seen him play but his scouting report is similar to Medvedev, and he outproduces Medvedev.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
This isn't necessarily a "fix", but the Jackets should be in the running for UFA Nikita Zaitsev when he comes over in the summer. I've never seen him play but his scouting report is similar to Medvedev, and he outproduces Medvedev.

Top of the list European UFAs might be out of CBJ reach. Only competitive offer would most likely be build around the role department.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Top of the list European UFAs might be out of CBJ reach. Only competitive offer would most likely be build around the role department.

The "role department" means that we also might be willing to pay more, no? If he's going to be our best RHD we should be able to field a good offer.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
The "role department" means that we also might be willing to pay more, no? If he's going to be our best RHD we should be able to field a good offer.

Maybe but are his people listening if some far more merited team offers good also if his price is right. Tortorella's franchise hockey also might not attract before it is the winning kind once again.

With the recent two seasons being like they were/are Horton like gamble, straight money exchange no questions asked deal might be out of the fashion. Zaitsev hasn't been in the previous couple Russian World Championship teams and has been on binocular points on his nine previous Euro Hockey Tour games which is bit strange for someone prominant in the KHL but sure there is some talent.

Good coup no doubt if it would happen but could be just past the current CBJ reach. While some criticize the Hjalmarsson, Melart, Pihlström like deals there is still rising player in the mix even if those ones didn't work out. I believe that for example UFA Komarov was approached by the CBJ given his stature in Finnish ice hockey but the tractor pull was too strong in Toronto.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
You have so much offensive prospects and one of the worst defensive lineups in the NHL.

Just give up some offence for a couple of top-4 D and build a real team for the future.

All great teams start at the back-end.

Having Savard and Johnson as #1 & #2 gets you nowhere.

That's the right play. A "couple" might not be realistic to expect, but that should be the stretch goal.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
This really isn't rocket science.

You let the D develop; if there is an opportunity to upgrade via trade or UFA you consider it. We know that getting upgrades on D isn't easy. It could take years to find the right deal.

The biggest thing right now is try and eliminate those that aren't playing well and free up some cap space in the process if you can. Meaning if you can find a place to move Tyutin, go ahead and do it. You probably say good bye to Prout.

The reality is that we only have a couple even close in the system. This is going to a long term project. There are some decent players that aren't signed yet for next season; two of them are going to be very expensive if they hit the market. I wouldn't mind seeing if we couldn't get Jordie Benn from Dallas. No he's not an "answer", but I think he's an upgrade and could easily fill in a 3/4 role here.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
This really isn't rocket science.

You let the D develop; if there is an opportunity to upgrade via trade or UFA you consider it. We know that getting upgrades on D isn't easy. It could take years to find the right deal.

The biggest thing right now is try and eliminate those that aren't playing well and free up some cap space in the process if you can. Meaning if you can find a place to move Tyutin, go ahead and do it. You probably say good bye to Prout.

The reality is that we only have a couple even close in the system. This is going to a long term project. There are some decent players that aren't signed yet for next season; two of them are going to be very expensive if they hit the market. I wouldn't mind seeing if we couldn't get Jordie Benn from Dallas. No he's not an "answer", but I think he's an upgrade and could easily fill in a 3/4 role here.

UNLESS you think Prout could develop into something good. The ONLY reason I consider this thought is because I thought Savard was worthless and he's developed into a decent second/third pairing defenseman.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Also, Prout was useful for a bit before he became useless.

I don't disagree with blah's breakdown, but I wonder if Jarmo does. Meaning he seems to like a splash- maybe he wants to do that on the back end this year (apologies for the visuals!). Cap issues may make a big FA signing a problem, but he likes those big trades, too and someone on one of our threads posted the Twitter comment about JK trying harder than any GM to make a trade this year. (I'm on my phone or else I'd try to track it down to cite).

Anyway point is I'm not sure pure development is something the FO would have the patience for

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I don't disagree with blah's breakdown, but I wonder if Jarmo does. Meaning he seems to like a splash- maybe he wants to do that on the back end this year (apologies for the visuals!). Cap issues may make a big FA signing a problem, but he likes those big trades, too and someone on one of our threads posted the Twitter comment about JK trying harder than any GM to make a trade this year. (I'm on my phone or else I'd try to track it down to cite).

Anyway point is I'm not sure pure development is something the FO would have the patience for

if there is an opportunity to upgrade via trade or UFA you consider it. We know that getting upgrades on D isn't easy. It could take years to find the right deal.

I'm accounting for them looking.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Someone is going to have to go for us to improve - either by FA or by prospects. You'll need a roster spot, two, or even three.

This year we've seen:
Murray
Johnson
Savard
Tyutin
Goloubef
Connauton
Prout
Falk
Bodnarchuk

That's 9 different defensemen each getting decent minutes. Every year there are opportunities usually because of injuries.

No need to open a hole just to see if someone will fill it. The holes will occur naturally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad