How does the D Corps get fixed?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Now that we have Jones i don't have much interest in Shatty. Until he's signed to his next deal, Shattenkirk is a win-now piece. That's not for us.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
For the record I'm not recommending any of this; than again I'm not saying don't do it either.

Sure; let's trade away both of our All-Stars less than a year after their appearance in the ASG we hosted. That sounds like a wonderful PR move. :)

Devil's advocate; nothing more nothing less. I'm mainly discussing what the other team might be interested in.

Having said that I will say I'm not opposed to moving Foligno for the right deal, however. Let's be honest, that contract doesn't look any less daunting then it was when he signed it. Do we really want to be paying Foligno 5.5 million when he's 32 or 33?

Back on topic; I'm not even sure Shattenkirk is even a good idea. He's probably more in the 3/4 range on ice time and he'll be paid like a 25 minute a game 1/2 or, at least, close to it. Not Subban money but still very expensive.

Final note; I'm not really sure if you were serious or not; but screw PR. Most fans would yawn and who cares what the league thinks about it.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
We wouldn't trade Bob

Let me just say if you can get a deal that involves swapping Bob for Jake Allen (obviously there would need to be something else involved), I'm listening. I might even listen to Elliot as a top gap for our younger kids. Not discussing if they would be interested; just saying.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I think the trade market will be explored for Tyutin but I'm not sure he will be jettisoned at the trade deadline. There's probably not a lot of demand out there, and I think we need a veteran D to either work with Werenski, or hold down the third left D spot if Werenski isn't ready. If we keep him, yes, he'll be overpaid but I'd rather over-pay him for a year (then consider buyout of last year) than overpay a UFA vet.

If Werenski stays in Michigan or is not ready:

LHD - RHD
Murray - Jones
Johnson - Savard
Tyutin - Goloubef

7th spot open for UFA (hopefully cheap), or Paliotta/someone else on Monsters if ready. Long-shot is Prout comes back for this.

If Werenski is ready, he gets sheltered minutes on third pairing:

Murray - Jones
Johnson - Savard
Werenski - Goloubef

Tyutin takes 7th spot, can fill in for injury and spot some games off for Werenski. Depends on whether Tyutin can accept this role and how he is working with a rookie.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Murray-Jones
JJ-Savard
Werenski-Goloubef
7th D not named Prout or Tyutin

That would be ideal for next season. Don't think we're too far off from having Paliotta/Carlsson/Gavrikov all trying to break into the league with Heatherington and Nutivaara right behind them. Plenty of bottom pair options in the next few years. Thank god our top 4 is hopefully solidified.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Food for thought - Johnson has 2 years left on his deal. He'll be 31 when it expires. Should Jarmo re-sign him? If not when do you trade him? What would he bring in return?

My preliminary thought is the Jackets need him next year. After that I don't know. I suppose it'll come down to $ and term but I'm thinking he'll be looking max on both items.

Right now I think I would be inclined to trade him after next year (at the deadline if we're out of it) unless we can extend him for current $ for 3 years which I just don't see happening.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Food for thought - Johnson has 2 years left on his deal. He'll be 31 when it expires. Should Jarmo re-sign him? If not when do you trade him? What would he bring in return?

My preliminary thought is the Jackets need him next year. After that I don't know. I suppose it'll come down to $ and term but I'm thinking he'll be looking max on both items.

Right now I think I would be inclined to trade him after next year (at the deadline if we're out of it) unless we can extend him for current $ for 3 years which I just don't see happening.

Depends on how JJ plays in the next couple years, and how the prospects shake out.

Right now I'm very curious how he'll play as a second pair D. If he keeps playing the way he has lately then I'd have no problem extending him at a second pair salary.

But of course, if Werenski and/or our other LHD prospects (Heatherington, Carlsson, etc..) step up and play like a top four D, that'll change things.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015

JJ can get a solid return because his contract is not over priced and ending in a couple years. While we CBJ may need him for depth for next year, he will not be in the picture beyond that. Jones/Murray, Savard/Werenski pairs will be able to log 50 minutes per game, so the 3rd pair can be Golobuef, Paliotta, Heatherington, etc. With the CBJ pressured with the salary cap, I am expecting JJ to be traded this season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I like JJ a lot. I've defended him against the armchair analytics GM's on the mains for years. However, no matter how he does the rest of this year and next, if we aren't winning I'd trade him. He's going to want to max out on (likely) his last big NHL deal, and I don't know if we'll have the cap for that. As I said, we're losing with him, if that doesn't change then we can maximize our return for him.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If we're out of the running sometime next year, then I might be inclined to agree with folks that it would be a good time to move JJ.

But until then, hold your horses. We need him. If he's gone our second pair LHD will be a duel between Tyutin and the mystery box of prospects with no NHL experience.

That could make the Jackets a much worse team very fast. How many goals does it cost us having Tyutin, Falk and Prout on the third pair? Now imagine sliding that quality up the lineup one spot.

The people assuming that Werenski will pass JJ next year have been reading the propaganda. Werenski might never be better than JJ and it would be a great surprise if he passes him so soon.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
JJ can get a solid return because his contract is not over priced and ending in a couple years. While we CBJ may need him for depth for next year, he will not be in the picture beyond that. Jones/Murray, Savard/Werenski pairs will be able to log 50 minutes per game, so the 3rd pair can be Golobuef, Paliotta, Heatherington, etc. With the CBJ pressured with the salary cap, I am expecting JJ to be traded this season.

While maybe a minority view on this board, I am not enamoured with Savard. If he is my second pairing DMan, I hope his partner is a strong #3 guy.....and as such, I find his contract rich - and long.

I do agree about trading Jack sooner rather than later, but only if the return is attractive. Otherwise I would keep him and return in his final year.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i've not crapped on him so much from the fancy stats side, i don't read much into them, but the eye test for me, i've not had the fondest memories of watching Jack...there's been some good, some REAL good, but a lot of face palms and W T EFFING HELLs...

I think he has, though, been a good mentor to Savard and Goloubef. I would like to see him moved while he has value left...whether that's this offseason or next, IDK...

right now, i'm more focused on how we can ship out tyutin...

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
i've not crapped on him so much from the fancy stats side, i don't read much into them, but the eye test for me, i've not had the fondest memories of watching Jack...there's been some good, some REAL good, but a lot of face palms and W T EFFING HELLs...

I think he has, though, been a good mentor to Savard and Goloubef. I would like to see him moved while he has value left...whether that's this offseason or next, IDK...

This basically describes Wisniewski and his mentorship of Murray is a nice parallel as well.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
This basically describes Wisniewski and his mentorship of Murray is a nice parallel as well.

there's a difference b/t a player with 8-10 yrs in the league or whatever vs someone not stepping into the NHL yet...I'll hold off on ZW until I see him in a CBJ sweater

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
there's a difference b/t a player with 8-10 yrs in the league or whatever vs someone not stepping into the NHL yet...I'll hold off on ZW until I see him in a CBJ sweater

Wisniewski...James Wisniewski. He was loved by the advanced stats, but made so many eye-popping bad plays, was a mentor for Murray...I'm saying last year he was comparable to your assessment of JJ now. Not sure where Werenski plays into that.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Wisniewski...James Wisniewski. He was loved by the advanced stats, but made so many eye-popping bad plays, was a mentor for Murray...I'm saying last year he was comparable to your assessment of JJ now. Not sure where Werenski plays into that.

reading is fundamental... :shakehead at myself...hahahhaah

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Some interesting discussion on JJ in here.

From a purely fan perspective, it's hard not to like the guy and even more want to offer him some stability from a professional perspective as he goes through his financial mess. However those are obviously not the only considerations.

I agree with Moe's take on Savard. I like him better as a 5 but he's paid like a 2nd pair. The question is whether or not Jack offers the best option alongside Savard. Skill-set/strengths&weaknesses-wise I'm not sure, but right now, that answer's yes.

I also think Jack's contract is defensible throughout its term, but there is the issue of whether or not you're going to sign him when it's up.

Lastly, I tend to agree that you need him in there now until some of the younger blueliners are ready. That said, I said the same thing for a couple seasons of Tyutin, and now it's probably too late. Jack is younger and hopefully isn't up against a sharp drop-off, but it's worth thinking about.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
If we're out of the running sometime next year, then I might be inclined to agree with folks that it would be a good time to move JJ.

But until then, hold your horses. We need him. If he's gone our second pair LHD will be a duel between Tyutin and the mystery box of prospects with no NHL experience.

That could make the Jackets a much worse team very fast. How many goals does it cost us having Tyutin, Falk and Prout on the third pair? Now imagine sliding that quality up the lineup one spot.

The people assuming that Werenski will pass JJ next year have been reading the propaganda. Werenski might never be better than JJ and it would be a great surprise if he passes him so soon.

I'll echo this sentiment. Well said.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio

I also agree with this. Let's go with a top 4 of Murray-Jones, JJ-Savard next year and see what's up with Werenski and others before we talk trade.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Next year, I think the blue line can be pretty decent with:
Murray-Jones
Johnson-Savard (not my favorite, but eh play them 19 mins/night against 2nd/3rd line competition and they can be ok)
xxx-Goloubef
xxx

I'm not sure if it's time to move on to Werenski/Paliotta/Heatherington. By that, I mean let Prout and Falk walk or try to trade them at the deadline for 6th/7th rounders. Ultimately, I think Werenski replaces JJ when Johnson's contract is up in two years (he'll be 31 then).

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Hey guys, had a question.

Let's say the Oilers end up with pick 1-2 and you guys end up with pick 3-4. Would you be interested in something like:

CBJ 1st, Murray, Jenner

for

EDM 1st, Eberle, and a defenceman like Davidson or Schultz? You bolster your offence adding Matthews/Laine and Eberle while Edmonton bolsters their defence with Murray and Chychrun.

Would Edmonton need to add more?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Hey guys, had a question.

Let's say the Oilers end up with pick 1-2 and you guys end up with pick 3-4. Would you be interested in something like:

CBJ 1st, Murray, Jenner

for

EDM 1st, Eberle, and a defenceman like Davidson or Schultz? You bolster your offence adding Matthews/Laine and Eberle while Edmonton bolsters their defence with Murray and Chychrun.

Would Edmonton need to add more?

I don't think you're going to like the responses you're going to get to this proposal...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad