How does Pittsburgh do it?

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
This.

The Hossa move was a well-calculated risk that damn near won them the cup.

The Iginla move was a bust, not enough when they ran into the buzzsaw that was the 2013 Boston Bruins. Thanks Marshy.

Potato Phil move was a good move, but it does not fix them. They might win a round in the playoffs... might. That's it though.

Once Crosby/Malkin are past their primes, they will be in the basement of the NHL. Terrible drafting, very few draft picks, mortgaging the future to win now. And they're still not even a strong contender.

Our "terrible drafting" was good enough to get one of the best wingers in the league, soooo....

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Man does their lineup look exceptional now though (imo).

Kessel Crosby Kunitz
Perron Malkin Hornqvist
Bennett Sutter Dupuis
X X X

Letang Scuderi
Maatta Cole
Lovejoy Erixon

Fleury

This team will be damn good next season, and if they avoid any major injuries (2+ weeks to any star player) then I could see them being 1st in the East.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
They have 15 players under contract and $6.4m left to sign 7-8 players.

In other words, same crap...different year in Pittsburgh

No one is knocking them swindling Toronto. But just like Staal, realistically, how long is this going to last before realizing they still have the same issues and must part with either Kessel or Malkin to fix it.

All the while Fleury is expected to play as he did in the postseason. Good luck with that.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008

Kessel Crosby Kunitz
Perron Malkin Hornqvist
Bennett Sutter Dupuis
X X X

Letang Scuderi
Maatta Cole
Lovejoy Erixon

Fleury

This team will be damn good next season, and if they avoid any major injuries (2+ weeks to any star player) then I could see them being 1st in the East.

That won't be the Penguins defence.

Try:

Letang - Maatta
Poulliot - Cole
Lovejoy - Dumoulin/Scuderi (Many still hope that Scuds get dumped somewhere).

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

Kessel Crosby Kunitz
Perron Malkin Hornqvist
Bennett Sutter Dupuis
X X X

Letang Scuderi
Maatta Cole
Lovejoy Erixon

Fleury

The roster will look more like

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Kessel
Plotnikov-Sutter-Dupuis
Sundqvist-FA-Bennett

Letang-Maatta
Cole-Pouliot
Scuderi-Lovejoy

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
In other words, same crap...different year in Pittsburgh

No one is knocking them swindling Toronto. But just like Staal, realistically, how long is this going to last before realizing they still have the same issues and must part with either Kessel or Malkin to fix it.

All the while Fleury is expected to play as he did in the postseason. Good luck with that.

Not sure why you wouldn't expect Fleury to play as he did in the postseason. It's how he's played in the past 2, and throughout all of last year under their current coach.

The Penguins have some contracts they should be able to dump. But even if they don't, that money is plenty enough to sign the players they need as their top 6 has now been solidified and they are going to rely on their young defence this year, something they've should have done long ago. There are a ton of contracts, other than the Pens Core or Kessel to dump long before they have to touch Malkin or Kessel to 'fix it', in a world of a rising cap...

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
The roster will look more like

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Kessel
Plotnikov-Sutter-Dupuis
Sundqvist-FA-Bennett

Letang-Maatta
Cole-Pouliot
Scuderi-Lovejoy

Right now, from Rutherford, it does sound like Crosby will get first crack of having Kessel on his line.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
Our "terrible drafting" was good enough to get one of the best wingers in the league, soooo....

The most career goals by a Penguins pick over the past 9 drafts is Jake Muzzin (22... with LA). Then Bennett with 10. That's bad.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
I think it's hysterical when people recall the late 00s Pens as having 'no depth'. They had the most effective third line in the game in Cooke-Staal-Kennedy, and good role players like Kunitz, Guerin, Dupuis, Talbot.

But they've been mortgaging the future for years now and it's caught up.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
This.

The Hossa move was a well-calculated risk that damn near won them the cup.

The Iginla move was a bust, not enough when they ran into the buzzsaw that was the 2013 Boston Bruins. Thanks Marshy.

Potato Phil move was a good move, but it does not fix them. They might win a round in the playoffs... might. That's it though.

Once Crosby/Malkin are past their primes, they will be in the basement of the NHL. Terrible drafting, very few draft picks, mortgaging the future to win now. And they're still not even a strong contender.

Iginla didn't work out because Bylsma refused to play him on his proper wing.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm hoping for...

Kessel-Crosby- Hornqvist
Plotnikov-Malkin-Perron
Kunitz-Sutter-Dupuis
Farnham-xxxx-Bennett/ Megna

Sid always come down the right side so much that I want to see a draw to the left side. While Hornqvist comes down the middle.

If worse comes to worse Kunitz still has some chemistry with both Malkin and Sid and can move up and down the line up.

The only thing I would like to see change is players with speed for Malkin. Maybe trade for Hagelin or Silfverberg's rights.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I think it's hysterical when people recall the late 00s Pens as having 'no depth'. They had the most effective third line in the game in Cooke-Staal-Kennedy, and good role players like Kunitz, Guerin, Dupuis, Talbot.

That unfortunately is where I think the Penguins under Shero went wrong. After winning the Cup with Fedotenko and Talbot (two 4th liners) in the top 6, Shero thought the team could do that indefinitely and refused to draft and develop forwards. Ultimately Shero treating disposable role-players like they were stars led to the Penguins having the problems they do now.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Pens have a great track record for being able to land elite big name wingers without touching their core. First Hossa, then Iggy and now Kessel.

How do they do it?

They only have 2 top talents, 3 if you add in MAF. It's easily a situation to work around. But once again they're loading up at the forward position and once again lack defense and depth players. It'll work in the weak East though.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
By having a bad defense. :)

I see many worse defenses around the league. Pens rarely allowed more than 2 goals/game last season down the stretch. Insert Letang and sub in Maatta for Martin.

Dumoulin played well for us in the playoffs. Another middle pairing defender would be ideal, but I'd prefer to see what we have for now.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I see many worse defenses around the league. Pens rarely allowed more than 2 goals/game last season down the stretch. Insert Letang and sub in Maatta for Martin.

Dumoulin played well for us in the playoffs. Another middle pairing defender would be ideal, but I'd prefer to see what we have for now.

Plus its 2015 not 1982. Structure can take care of the defensive zone as long as some ability is there.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

But they've been mortgaging the future for years now and it's caught up.

I disagree. They've mortgaged their future to try and fix the top 6 and it's never worked out. Now, with the very last remaining future assets they have, they solidified their top 6. They don't have to worry about drafting or developing top 6 or top 4 guys.

Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Perron, Hornqvist, Maatta, Letang, Pouliot, Cole. There's the core.

All they need to do now is sign/develop good depth, and they actually have that. Sundqvist, Rust, Dumoulin and Wilson look like they can contribute in the bottom 6. Dumoulin looks like he could be a good bottom pairing guy.

Trading their future for all of these years has really just been spinning the wheels. Any longer and THEN it would've caught up with them. More deals for rentals and then they run out of assets and they are screwed. Now they need not worry about constantly looking for a top 6 winger. All they need to focus on is depth

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Pens in my view have the best core in the NHL. Letang, Maata, Malkin, Crosby, Kessel.

However, they have a very poor bottom 6, and a very poor bottom 4 on D with a few exceptions in there.

Any injuries and this team is sunk.

And slumps, this team is sunk.

I personally hope they get into the playoffs in 16th place and get swept.

And this is why they won't manage to get pass elite teams like Montreal, Tampa, NYR.

MilanKraft*

And this is why they won't manage to get pass elite teams like Montreal, Tampa, NYR.

:laugh:

None of those teams are elite....

How many cups??

Montreal is a typical playoff choker....Price in playoffs...:laugh:

coolwasabi

Dec 18, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
You could spin this question to, "why can't Pittsburgh hang onto their elite wingers?"
Kessel looks like a great fit on paper. I'm not a Penguins fan, but I do like watching the best player in the world (Crosby) do his thing so I hope he meshes well with Kessel.

Church of Toews*

:laugh:

None of those teams are elite....

How many cups??

Montreal is a typical playoff choker....Price in playoffs...:laugh:

Since were talking about playoff chokes......

2010: eliminated by an 8th seeded Montreal Pens blew 3-2 series lead
Crosby and Malkin got 2 goals in the series Round 2

2011: Eliminated by Lightning Pens blew 3-1 series lead Round 1

2012: eliminated by flyers Round 1

2013 Swept by Bruins Crosby and Malkin held pointless Round 3

2014 blew 3-1 series lead against the Rangers Round 2

2015 eliminated in 5 Round 1

and seeing Fleurys playoff blunders i don't think you can insult a 22 year old price for not being amazing in his early playoff seasons, also funny seeing that the his injury arguably prevented Montreal from making the cup final last year.

Also the Pens aren't elite because they won a cup 7 years ago

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It seems like they trade 1st round picks and quality prospects like it's going out of style

Soon enough they are going to be in very rough shape in terms of futures

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad