How does Pittsburgh do it?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
They have 15 players under contract and $6.4m left to sign 7-8 players.

We have;

Perron-Crosby-Horny
Plotnikov-Malkin-Kessel
Kunitz-Sutter-Dupuis
Sheary-xxx-Bennett

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Cole
Scuderi-Lovejoy
Erixon

Fleury
Zatkoff

If Bennett take $1.2m then that would leave us with $1.9m to sign a 4th line C.

How will we cope!

Not to mention we can trade Scuderi, Sutter and Kunitz.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
The Penguins now are what we used to be with the Pizza Line, a bunch of cash tied up in forwards and stalling growth from the rest of the team.
Even if one of the forwards is really good (Alfredsson/Crosby) you still need balance. Hopefully Kessel pushes them over the top, because otherwis...yikes.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
We have;

Perron-Crosby-Horny
Plotnikov-Malkin-Kessel
Kunitz-Sutter-Dupuis
Sheary-xxx-Bennett

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Cole
Scuderi-Lovejoy
Erixon

Fleury
Zatkoff

How will we cope!

Sheary won't be in the lineup. He's a top 6 or bust. Either way one of Rust, Sundqvist or Wilson will be in that spot.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
We have;

Perron-Crosby-Horny
Plotnikov-Malkin-Kessel
Kunitz-Sutter-Dupuis
Sheary-xxx-Bennett

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Cole
Scuderi-Lovejoy
Erixon

Fleury
Zatkoff

How will we cope!

Save the 1.2 million and just call up Sundqvist to play 4th line C.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
random?

read the thread. the guy i quoted was replying to a flyer fan who claimed we were terrible at drafting

I have read the thread. The Flyers fan's post was pretty damn fair, even if it was critical of Pens drafting, which btw, Pens fans have also been critical of as well.

Your response to that was basically, "Well, you suck at drafting, too! Ha!" That's random and completely off-topic, and quite frankly kind of stupid.

Look, your username is a dig at the Flyers and so is your avatar. You also frequently show up in threads about the Flyers to get in a random dig. You almost seem care more about the Flyers than the Pens. So, I always find it amusing when I come across one of your Flyers digs in a thread. Someone could make a drinking game out of it.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Perron is so bad. I don't understand why people talk about him as if he's a legit top 6 winger for Pittsburgh. He's not worthy of playing on Sid's line. Dude fumbles tap ins after tap ins. It's incredibly terrible.

He also has one of the worst shot selections I have ever seen. On par with Tyler Kennedy.

Pitt should try to gamble on Alex Semin and dump Perron.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Perron is so bad. I don't understand why people talk about him as if he's a legit top 6 winger for Pittsburgh. He's not worthy of playing on Sid's line. Dude fumbles tap ins after tap ins. It's incredibly terrible.

He also has one of the worst shot selections I have ever seen. On par with Tyler Kennedy.

Pitt should try to gamble on Alex Semin and dump Perron.

I'm not against a gamble on Semin (we are rather overloaded with RH wingers though) but you do realise Perron scored 11 more goals than him last year?

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
You're right. But I have a theory when it comes to professional sports. Be very good or very bad. Stuck in the middle gets you nowhere.

Pretty much. Load up your team to try and win championships when you have the best opportunity, then sell off everyone to tank when the window closes. That's the model that has traction nowadays, like it or not.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
I'm not against a gamble on Semin (we are rather overloaded with RH wingers though) but you do realise Perron scored 11 more goals than him last year?

Semin was totally mistreated last year and the Canes had load of problems.

We all agree that Perron's talent level isn't worthy of lacing the skates of Semin's talent level.

Semin is better at every front. I think that if Semin enjoyed ice time with Letang, Geno and Sid last year, he would have scored 30. He still has the most lethal wrister in the world.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
The thing JR has done that Shero failed to do was that he added wingers who will be here for years. Shero kept renting wingers, he couldn't find long term solutions. JR added Kessel and Hornqvist who should be here for a very long time as well as Perron who is maybe up in the air a bit. Now we can keep our picks and prospects for the next few years without having to trade for rental wingers every year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Because the refuse to shore up any other position; hence why they look great during the regular season and then fold quickly int he playoffs.

This statement is wrong in so many ways that it might be right in some weird, double-negative way.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Semin was totally mistreated last year and the Canes had load of problems.

We all agree that Perron's talent level isn't worthy of lacing the skates of Semin's talent level.

Semin is better at every front. I think that if Semin enjoyed ice time with Letang, Geno and Sid last year, he would have scored 30. He still has the most lethal wrister in the world.

The most lethal wrister in the world scored on pace for 9 goals, less than AHL journeymen Hurricanes teammates Brad Malone and Chris Terry?

That's amazing. He must be constantly striving for new ways to avoid scoring.

penguins2946*

I'm guessing the Pens lineup to start next year will be something like:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Plotnikov-Malkin-Kessel
Dupuis-Sutter-Bennett
FA 4LW-FA 4C-Sundqvist
Wilson-other extra F

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Lovejoy
Dumoulin-Cole
Scuderi

Fleury-Zatkoff

That F lineup is solid, all of the top-3 lines can produce offensively. The D will be as good as far as the young guys (Maatta, Pouliot, Dumoulin and Cole) can develop by the end of the year. I'm really not seeing the idea that the Pens are neglecting other areas on the roster by bringing in Kessel.

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
The Penguins now are what we used to be with the Pizza Line, a bunch of cash tied up in forwards and stalling growth from the rest of the team.
Even if one of the forwards is really good (Alfredsson/Crosby) you still need balance. Hopefully Kessel pushes them over the top, because otherwis...yikes.

who are we stalling growth on? It's not like there is a bunch of old guys on this roster

the ages of everyone

#39 (27) - #87 (27) - #81 (27)
#61 (25) - #71 (28) - #72 (28)
#14 (35) - #16 (26) - #9 (36)
4th line ??? (who cares)
# 19 (23)

#3 (20) - #58 (28)
#51 (20) - #28 (26)
#12 (31) - #4 (36)
#8 (23)

#29 (30)

with the exception of a couple "old" guys, everyone on the roster are ether in their prime or entering their prime. And its not exactly easy to get rid of their contracts. Maybe in 5 years yeah, but right now we have no "pizza" line

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Fantastic regular season team that is a joke in the playoffs with Letang anchoring the blue line.

Hes a very very average defender. Never even considered one of the top 10 Canadian defencemen let alone in the world.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Pens bottom 6 and bottom pair are utterly puke worthy.

What? Sutter, Dupuis, Kunitz, Bennett, Farnham, Wislon, Sundqvist, Rust, etc. Not too bad really. Plotnikov might be in the bottom 6 as well. We used to have guys like Adams and Glass who were among the worst players in the league, lucky they are others teams problems now.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Fantastic regular season team that is a joke in the playoffs with Letang anchoring the blue line.

Hes a very very average defender. Never even considered one of the top 10 Canadian defencemen let alone in the world.

Top 8 in Norris = average apparently.

blazinblair

Jun 19, 2015
I'm really not sure if I can see Perron back after this season. He needs to have 25-30 goals to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad