How does Pittsburgh do it?

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
Pens in my view have the best core in the NHL. Letang, Maata, Malkin, Crosby, Kessel.

However, they have a very poor bottom 6, and a very poor bottom 4 on D with a few exceptions in there.

Any injuries and this team is sunk.

And slumps, this team is sunk.

I personally hope they get into the playoffs in 16th place and get swept.

Right about the first point, wrong about the rest. One, maybe both of Kunitz and Dupuis will probably on the 3rd line centered by Sutter depending on how well the russian they brought in the play LW with Malkin does(Plotnikov). They're not going to put up anywhere near 30goal/60points like their injury free years playing on the first line with Crosby. They may not even be considered good second liners at this point in their careers, but that's still a damn good third line. And there's still Bennett, who won't be under the pressure of trying to become something here's not(a top 6 winger). I think he'd excel in a bottom six role, if he can stay healthy.

In any case, without making any more moves the top 3 lines look like this;

Perron/Kunitz/Dupuis - Crosby - Hornqvist/Kessel
Perron/Kunitz/Plotnikov - Malkin - Hornqvist/Kessel
Kunitz/Plotnikov - Sutter - Dupuis/Bennett
Only one of Kunitz/Dupuis/Plotnikov will be on the top 2 lines, which ever performs/fits the best.

Now that Chicago lost Saad, is there a better top 9 in the league? I'll admit defense could be a weakness baring how well the kids play, but they have more then enough 5-6-7 defensemen, its the second pair after Letang & Maatta that's more of a question mark. But there's still plenty of time to correct any issues that may arise there. Obviously injuries could become a problem, but they're better equipped to handle them now with the additions of Kessel - first line sniper, Plotnikov -admittedly an unknown but projects to at least be a decent 3rd liner and Perron(for the entire season) - a top 6 winger. No more playing 3rd or 4th line scrubs on the first line.

As for the last comment... You mad your team got fleeced in a trade with them or something?

Last edited:

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
I'm hoping for...

Kessel-Crosby- Hornqvist
Plotnikov-Malkin-Perron
Kunitz-Sutter-Dupuis
Farnham-xxxx-Bennett/ Megna

Doesn't make much sense to put both Kessel & Perron on their offsides. Switch those two and the lines would be perfect(if Poltnikov works out).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Thank god Megna is gone, never have to hear the whole "he could be on the 4th line now!" stuff..no, let's move on.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Except the Pens offensive trio, while offensive wizards, are nowhere near the two-way players the Hawks trio are (at least Toews and Hossa, which form probably the best two-way duo in the league).
Keith is head and shoulders above Letang.

The Hawks quintet is much more versatile, and playoff hockey suits them much better.

Right now, unless they got some upgrades on D and bottom 6, the Pens team look like a regular season juggernaut, for sure.
I'm just not sure their game will transition well to the playoffs.

And the overrating of Toews, and two-way play continues.

penguins2946*

It seems like they trade 1st round picks and quality prospects like it's going out of style

Soon enough they are going to be in very rough shape in terms of futures

They have traded first round picks like candy. Just look at their 1st rounders since 2006:

2006- Staal (traded to Carolina)
2007- Esposito (traded to Atlanta in Hossa deal)
2008- No pick (traded to Atlanta in Hossa deal)
2009- Despres (traded to Anaheim for Lovejoy)
2010- Bennett
2011- Morrow (traded to Dallas for Morrow)
2012- Pouliot and Maatta
2013- No pick (traded to Calgary in Iginla deal)
2014- Kapanen (traded to Toronto in Kessel deal)
2015- No pick (traded to Edmonton in Perron deal)
2016- No pick (traded to Toronto in Kessel deal)

Bennett's probably going to end up getting traded too :laugh:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
They spend high on 4 or 5 guys and use the rest of their payroll on scrubs. They really should invest in more depth throughout their lineup instead of signing all these stars.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
There's not a whole lot of D in the metro division. The Rangers and Caps have good D's. The Islanders and Blue Jackets are competent. The rest of the division blows.

Seems obvious that the key to beating the Penguins will be not taking penalties.

penguins2946*

They spend high on 4 or 5 guys and use the rest of their payroll on scrubs. They really should invest in more depth throughout their lineup instead of signing all these stars.

Yeah, that's not even remotely true.

I really wish people would just drop the parroting "LOL PENS HAVE A BUNCH OF MONEY LOCKED UP TO A FEW PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!" nonsense. They have their long term core locked up. Their top-6 (at least 5 of the members), top-4 D (Maatta, Letang, Pouliot and Cole will be the top-4 for at least 3 years) and goalie situations are all handled long term. They need to cut out the overpaid older players like Kunitz and Sutter and play cheaper, more cost effective players in the bottom-6. The salaries to the top end players aren't even remotely a problem, it's the $3.375 million to Scuderi or the $3.75 million to Dupuis or the $3.85 million to Kunitz.

The Pens D group is also getting laughably underrated here. They have a Norris caliber D, 2 young NHL ready studs with top pair potential, 2 younger guys that have good potential and 1 older veteran on D for them. Their D core right now is better than it was by the end of last year, where the Pens let up like 13 goals in 6 games against the Rangers. A good D system (which MJ runs) makes up for having a young and inexperienced blue line. And that's really the only knock you can make on them, no one knows yet how good they'll be by the end of the season. If Pouliot, Cole and Dumoulin progress as fast as Maatta did, they'll have 5 top-4 D.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
They've essentially sold their future on the Crosby era. Can't exactly blame them given his and Malkin's age.

Not that it isn't true but if you look at our past drafts you'll notice that we suck at it anyways. We traded players like Esposito, Morrow (1st rounders) who haven't become much.

Staal was traded for a better package return and we still have Sutter-Dumoulin and Pouliot.

Maatta helped a lot, great pick

Kapanen well still too early to say.

I don't know, maybe the GM's around the league are trying to help us win!!!

Also it helps when guys like Iginla and Kessel want to be traded to Pittsburgh

martz11

Mar 5, 2013
PA
Yeah, that's not even remotely true.

I really wish people would just drop the parroting "LOL PENS HAVE A BUNCH OF MONEY LOCKED UP TO A FEW PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!" nonsense. They have their long term core locked up. Their top-6 (at least 5 of the members), top-4 D (Maatta, Letang, Pouliot and Cole will be the top-4 for at least 3 years) and goalie situations are all handled long term. They need to cut out the overpaid older players like Kunitz and Sutter and play cheaper, more cost effective players in the bottom-6. The salaries to the top end players aren't even remotely a problem, it's the $3.375 million to Scuderi or the $3.75 million to Dupuis or the $3.85 million to Kunitz.

The Pens D group is also getting laughably underrated here. They have a Norris caliber D, 2 young NHL ready studs with top pair potential, 2 younger guys that have good potential and 1 older veteran on D for them. Their D core right now is better than it was by the end of last year, where the Pens let up like 13 goals in 6 games against the Rangers. A good D system (which MJ runs) makes up for having a young and inexperienced blue line. And that's really the only knock you can make on them, no one knows yet how good they'll be by the end of the season. If Pouliot, Cole and Dumoulin progress as fast as Maatta did, they'll have 5 top-4 D.

But they do have have a bunch of money locked up in a few players. It's not an untrue statement. I think the problem with them is that they've been giving away picks the last several years and it's lead to zero depth and they are relying on making trades to get 3rd line value. Problem is they've been giving up picks to do so. Blackhawks are in the same boat starting this year. It'll be interesting to see where they are at in 4-5 years.

eliostar

May 28, 2008
Toronto
You imagine wrong. But please, continue, it seems like Hawks fans are really bitter about the Pens getting Kessel, not even sure why or how, are you guys adopting some weird hatred for us like Wings fans? Not even sure if I should be offended or not, laughing it off of course, but still.

Pens have some how made it out with giving up assets that come back to haunt them. Weird, since I thought quite a few could, but it hasn't happened yet. But you have to give to get, Kessel was the best player on a crap team, maintained solid numbers without any real #1 center for 90% of his NHL career.

He goes to a team where he might get the odd moronic Rossi comment, but for the most part, he won't be answering to like a couple dozen Rossi's like there were in Toronto.

I'm still waiting for Joe Morrow to haunt us, or Hanowski, or Agostino...or Leveille, or...yeah.

But Despres has the potential to, so does Kapanen and Harrington if Kessel fails to score more than 30 all of a sudden with 2 of the best centers in the game as his options...yeah even I laughed at the thought of Phil no being able to hit 30...

We're not bitter , and speaking for myself I have no hatred of the Pens. Just because I call them chocking dogs does not mean I dislike them , But I can not tell a lie so I have to call it as it is . Believe me you can have Kessel , I would not want him in Chicago for nothing. The good thing about this is that now that you have such a powerful team we won't have another season full of excuses.

penguins2946*

But they do have have a bunch of money locked up in a few players. It's not an untrue statement. I think the problem with them is that they've been giving away picks the last several years and it's lead to zero depth and they are relying on making trades to get 3rd line value. Problem is they've been giving up picks to do so. Blackhawks are in the same boat starting this year. It'll be interesting to see where they are at in 4-5 years.

The bolded is also a huge problem along with the bloated contracts Shero gave out at the end of his time here. I worded that wrong originally, I meant to say "The Pens spend too much money on their top players!!!!", not a bunch of money on their top players.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
And the overrating of Toews, and two-way play continues.

How's that?

Toews-Hossa has arguably been the best two-way duo in the league for 6 years now.
And they have 3 Cups to show for it.

I'm sure the Chicago fans will live with people saying they're "overrated".

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
How's that?

Toews-Hossa has arguably been the best two-way duo in the league for 6 years now.
And they have 3 Cups to show for it.

I'm sure the Chicago fans will live with people saying they're "overrated".

Sure, they probably are the best two-way duo. But in the grand scheme of things, that's probably about the 93rd reason why they've won three cups. Two way play is so overrated here it's maddening. Sure it definitely helps, but defensive play is one of the easiest concepts in hockey. All it takes is willingness to commit to defense and knowledge of where to be and when. Most players in the NHL at least have the knowledge part down of basic positioning.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Same for the Dynastic Blackhawks.

I look at the whole top heavy charge as a hockey IQ test. It is the most oft quoted, and wrong, criticism that I have seen here over the years.

It is not just the Blackhawks but virtually every good (read playoff) team has 40 to 50 percent of their cap tied up in five or fewer players.

Far from a recipe for disaster, it is actually the recipe to win. More 'balanced' teams, ie that do not have those percentages and that are not top heavy in that way, generally suck. Go look at the cap sites and see. I have linked them before many times. Pretty much every good team. The Pens are in that wheel house.

Oh you need balance on the cheap in your bottom six and your bottom pairings. Great teams have that. And remain top heavy anyways as they fill those spots on the cheap. The Pens failures were not signing Crosby for $8.7 million. Malkin $9.5 million. Kessel for $6.8 million. Their issues were bad drafting, bad developing, trading good assets for nothing. Bad coaching. In other words everything but this.

And the recent trades of first being called 'mortgaging the future'. :laugh:

If there is an owner/GM out there who would not trade what amounts to three middling firsts and a couple of seconds for Perron and Kessel just entering their primes, a Kessel cost controlled at $6.8 million until 2022 for that matter, then I will point to them and laugh at them. I have not even gotten into that being the primary need for this team with the two best centers, no players, in the world to boot. I have seen the percentages. One out of five middling to late firsts will not even make it to the NHL. Just over 50% will give you 100 games or more. In any capacity no matter how sucky.

The Pens have plenty to criticize in recent years. Being top heavy or these trades of those three firsts and some spare parts are neither of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad