Speculation: How do you handle Toronto's goalie situation?

Which tendem would you like to see next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
So from 3 goalies vying for backup, it would appear that we're down to two now.

Sparks: not the guy, should clear waivers.

Question is, how do we deal with pickard and mac?
I really don't want to lose pickard as there's a good chance he could be the backup of the future that we need. He's got NHL level talent.
Mcbackup is playing so well right now though, it's hard to lose him as well.

What's the solution here?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'd be pretty pissed if I was fighting for a job and didn't even get into the crease tonight. Obvious to me, Mac is the guy.

Reactions: 81Leafs50

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Piccard wont clear waivers neither will but mcbackup is your choice now

Leafs just need to draft more goalies.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I've been saying for a few years now that I don't ever see Sparks as an NHL goalie, I just don't. The reason I say that is from seeing him in person dozens of times. Others who go to Marlies games can back me up here. He has major flaws in his game. And I hate to say these things because he seems like a great guy who gives it his all. At the end of the day he's a backup at best and quite frankly, those aren't hard to find. Every summer there's decent options available. It's just not a position to get hung up on especially when Mcbackup was great last year and Pickard is in the system as insurance.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Seems like we're more likely to lose Pickard to waivers than Sparks now. I mean Sparks has shart the bed pretty hard this pre season.

I'll make no bones about it, I want to keep McBackup around because the guy has done his job very well up to this point. I don't really feel that losing Sparks would be a big deal, he may find footing as a backup somewhere else (I doubt it, but) it's not that big of a deal. We should draft more goalies in general.

Reactions: iSophagus

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
McElhinney will win the backup job.

Sparks will clear waivers.

Pickard will be traded for a song or claimed off waivers by Calgary.

Honestly, this is pretty good for all parties involved. Pickard finally gets playing time in the NHL, where he proved with Colarado he can belong. And Sparks gets to keep playing a high number of games, and stays in the system as insurance.

McBackup gets to keep the job he deserves, and plays well. Not everyone can be a backup goalie, and Curtis is great at it. Listen to Jamie McLennan talk about it some time. You need to mesh with the starter, you need to know your lane, you need to be ready to go in cold, you need to be ok going 2 weeks without game action. Seems like McElhinney is the perfect guy to support Andersen, and knows what Babcock expects of him. He's done the job absolutely perfect since he got here.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

Ya, I seriously disagree with Mirtle, here. Sparks is the only goalie we have that I think would clear waivers. The only reason I ever want to see him play for the Leafs again is because I loved his checkerboard pads.

But McElhinney would get claimed, has done a good job in the past, and no one has done anything to take his job away. It's pretty clear now that McBackup will be the backup.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It’s getting pretty interesting, Sparks certainly has not played well, but I have a hard time seeing Dubas of all people let two games in preseason sway his decision making one way or the their. Will know either way this weekend

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Trade Mcbackup for a 4th and ride Pickard. Waive Sparks or trade him for a 6th and/or a younger prospect (like how we got Pickard in the first place).

(but to be frank.... a back-up isn't the reason the Leafs make the playoffs this year.... but a back-up may be a reason why the Leafs don't make the playoffs if Andy gets injured and the back-up has to play 30+ games in the season. Pickard honestly fills this insurance role the best).

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Have had a good backup for two years, so ship him out and risk f***ing that up. Good plan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad