Speculation: How do you handle Toronto's goalie situation?

Which tendem would you like to see next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Sparks at the NHL level in 2018 is showing the same tendencies he did 3 years ago. He plays too erratic in the crease and he has always had a bad habit of falling to his belly and exposing the upper half of the net. He cant get away with that with the skill level in the NHL. Players are too patient and will just wait him out, as we've seen from his last two games. You want your goalie to stay upright and square to the puck at all times.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Dunno about you guys but if Freddy goes down with any kind of lengthy injury, I have zero confidence in Mcbackup or Sparks playing 10'ish games in a row. I dont mind Mcbackup playing a game here and there but ...

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
McElhinney's numbers in seasons where he played more than 20 games:

2010-11 (Ducks): .890 sv%
2013-14 (CBJ): .909 sv%
2014-15 (CBJ): .914 sv%

We should not be happy with these numbers and should expect way more from our backup this year if he's easing the load on Freddy. Maybe inform yourself before making stupid comments.

well this didnt age well.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
well this didnt age well.

He is .912 on a better defensive team than the Leafs now so that isn't inaccurate. He isn't a #1 guy but the club is at least 2-3 wins better with him instead of Sparky. If Freddie is ready and capable in the playoffs its a moot point. They aren't winning a Cup with Mcillhiney and I fully support them keeping Sparks opposed to CM. Wrong call for sure but they went with the 25% chance he will be a starter rather than the 0% chance CM would be. I would love to have Curtis back next season but I think he would be looking for starter money.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He is .912 on a better defensive team than the Leafs now so that isn't inaccurate. He isn't a #1 guy but the club is at least 2-3 wins better with him instead of Sparky. If Freddie is ready and capable in the playoffs its a moot point. They aren't winning a Cup with Mcillhiney and I fully support them keeping Sparks opposed to CM. Wrong call for sure but they went with the 25% chance he will be a starter rather than the 0% chance CM would be. I would love to have Curtis back next season but I think he would be looking for starter money.
Sparks had 0% chance of becoming a starter , there's no way anyone that watched him in the minors could believe a goalie at his age who's

-technique
-rebound control
-positioning
-puck tracking ability

is that brutal would believe he could become a starter .

and spinning excuses for a GM who watched him for years but still couldn't properly evaluate him is pathetic , it's also pathetic the Dube believed Maricin and Holl were NHL caliber defensemen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->