Speculation: How do you handle Toronto's goalie situation?

Which tendem would you like to see next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Mcelhinney shut the door real good last night after Sparks let in some softies early against an AHL caliber team. I'm rooting for Sparks because he's young and might time up well with taking the reins when Andersens contract expires in 3 years. I'd hate it if we couldn't re-sign Andsersen and Sparks was killing it for another team. But Mcelhinney looks like he might be the better back up for this season, so it's a tough call either way.
I just threw up in my mouth a little

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Asset management is key here.

Can't lose Sparks for nothing. Can probably squeeze McElhinney through waivers, but there's no chance Sparks doesn't get claimed.

People point to Sparks outstanding season last season, but forget that he was very good the season before as well - he's put together 2 VERY solid AHL seasons, and deserves his shot at the NHL, even if he's had a rocky camp
Sparks is the definition of nothing. If he’s claimed on waivers it’s only because he’s not even worth another team to give up a 7th rounder, because Dubas will definitely try to acquire a pick for him before trying to send him down.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What are you on about ? McBackup has done just about everything asked of him the last couple years for us.

He’s 35, and just had a career year. Never in his past has he came close to playing as he just did in terms of sv%

I’m not at all confident he’s going to be able to repeat that caliber of play.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Asset management is key here.

Can't lose Sparks for nothing. Can probably squeeze McElhinney through waivers, but there's no chance Sparks doesn't get claimed.

People point to Sparks outstanding season last season, but forget that he was very good the season before as well - he's put together 2 VERY solid AHL seasons, and deserves his shot at the NHL, even if he's had a rocky camp
there's a very little chance sparks gets claimed. teams already have their goalie tandems set before the season starts.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Salaries being equal I’d take either of those guys over Sparks

Mrazek has been an OK keeper in the NHL so far so I'd give him a chance but Darling was worst in the league last year. Carolina has a good team and would have been a solid playoff team if they had even average goalkeeping.

Sparks is better than many are giving him credit for and I would absolutely take a gamble on him(or one of the other youngish solid ahl keepers) if I were the Canes. Hell, this preseason, the supposedly awful Sparks has a higher save% than the Canes did last year.

Let's see what they do I guess. I'm not a massive Sparks guy either. I picked Anderson/mcbackup long ago.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He’s 35, and just had a career year. Never in his past has he came close to playing as he just did in terms of sv%

I’m not at all confident he’s going to be able to repeat that caliber of play.

He doesn't need to, not with a team in front of him that's this loaded

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Sparkie is playing to be noticed by someone else tonight so Leafs can get a pick for him and he gets another chance at nhl before preseason ends. Pickard will be the Marlies goalie this year. Look for him to clear waivers tomorrow.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I still think it will be Curtis, Picks looked good last time he was in too, so id think its MAC,Picks,Sparks. sparks looked awful last time he was in too just not an nhl goalie imo, looks shaky at all times.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If Nylander isn't signed entering the season, how would people feel about instead of going 14 forwards, or 8 D we go 3 goalies for a couple days. Put 1 of Sparks/Pickard on waivers the last day of camp. Then if said goalie clears it makes it easier to waive the other young guy to keep McBackup as the backup when Nylander signs knowing that even if the other goalie gets claimed you have a long term option there in the minors already. If the first guy gets claimed then waive McBackup and keep the other young guy.

I can see the argument from people who want to keep McIlhinney. He was outstanding last year, ride him until he fails kind of thinking. I just can't get behind waiving both young guys at the same time, if both are claimed then after McIlhinney runs out of his magic(he's old he won't be as good as he was last year all that much longer) we're left high and dry in a year or so after having 3 extremely good options this year. If I pick McIlhinney as the backup I want to know that I still have a future option in the system for when we eventually will need them.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
If Nylander isn't signed entering the season, how would people feel about instead of going 14 forwards, or 8 D we go 3 goalies for a couple days. Put 1 of Sparks/Pickard on waivers the last day of camp. Then if said goalie clears it makes it easier to waive the other young guy to keep McBackup as the backup when Nylander signs knowing that even if the other goalie gets claimed you have a long term option there in the minors already. If the first guy gets claimed then waive McBackup and keep the other young guy.

I can see the argument from people who want to keep McIlhinney. He was outstanding last year, ride him until he fails kind of thinking. I just can't get behind waiving both young guys at the same time, if both are claimed then after McIlhinney runs out of his magic(he's old he won't be as good as he was last year all that much longer) we're left high and dry in a year or so after having 3 extremely good options this year. If I pick McIlhinney as the backup I want to know that I still have a future option in the system for when we eventually will need them.
I don't really have an issue if they want to do something crazy like that.

Although I do think if they feel McBackup is the guy then waive the other two. I mean what is the drama or even the concern about age? If Sparks or Pickard looked like the future #1 goalie that would be one thing. But we're talking about guys we just expect to be the backup. We got McBackup off waivers and Pickard through trade after he cleared waivers. If we need a backup in the future I think we can find one.

Losing two guys at once would suck, but the odds are there. If you put a guy like McEhinney on waivers he's going to get claimed. I think for a team trying to win you need to figure out who gives the best chance to win and go with them. If that's Sparks, Pickard, or McEhinney that's fine. Just go with that person and take your chances.

Reactions: tokiih

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Honestly, I'd take Pickard over both McBackup and Sparks.

Remove his one terriawful season when Colorado fell apart, and not only was he a great NHL backup, he was also looking to be a strong bet for a good Starting goalie. He was one of my first choices as a Bernier/Reimer replacement before we went out and got Freddy. I was excited for him to replace McBackup last season when we traded for him, no need though lol.

Plus, I prefer his style of play (similar to Andersen's) where he's very calm/cool/collected in the net compared to the Reimer-like play of McBackup and Sparks.
I agree. Sparks is a McBackup wannabe but can't read plays and over commits/easily gets faked out. McBackup is bit more steady but still is unorthodox and in today's quick NHL, he probably doesn't have the reflexes and skill to be able to do it on a more frequent schedule. It's no wonder he's been regulated to backup duty at this point. Still, if they have no one better but Pickard probably is so give him the opportunity...

Reactions: Morgs

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I don't really have an issue if they want to do something crazy like that.

Although I do think if they feel McBackup is the guy then waive the other two. I mean what is the drama or even the concern about age? If Sparks or Pickard looked like the future #1 goalie that would be one thing. But we're talking about guys we just expect to be the backup. We got McBackup off waivers and Pickard through trade after he cleared waivers. If we need a backup in the future I think we can find one.

Losing two guys at once would suck, but the odds are there. If you put a guy like McEhinney on waivers he's going to get claimed. I think for a team trying to win you need to figure out who gives the best chance to win and go with them. If that's Sparks, Pickard, or McEhinney that's fine. Just go with that person and take your chances.
How many games has Pickard been given (in a Leafs jersey, that is) to even make a good judgment on him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad