Speculation: How do you handle Toronto's goalie situation?

Which tendem would you like to see next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
i'm going to add a poll to this topic. i want to know what tandem you'd like to see next season.

as for this blog it's pretty poor. It's barely an article or a blog. it's basically a compilation of comments that look like yelp reviews.

it is however a good topic.

do you see a slight shake-up in goalies next season. perhaps mcgoalie on waivers or a trade? could we see picard backing up andersen next season?

How do you handle the Leafs’ goalie situation this year?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Andy and whoever shows the best at training camp , none of these guys are worth much if anything in a trade and i doubt any would get taken in waivers unless a team runs into injuries in training camp .

Last edited:
Reactions: 3headeddragon

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I think it was in Reilly’s presser that he gave a good shout out to McBackup which is interesting.

Obviously they need to either keep Sparks on the big club or trade him as I doubt he will clear...

I guess training camp performance and offers for each of them will determine what happens. There’s probably no horrible move, but if they can groom Sparky to be a solid NHL keeper that would be the move that seems to have the highest upside.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
Trade Cmac. Let Sparks back up. Carry 3 goalies for a little bit till there’s a chance to waive Pickard and hopefully he clears.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Normally I would say McElhinney as he did nothing to lose the job.

But if keeping him as backup means losing Sparks for nothing, that doesn't seem like good asset management. Sparks had a really impressive season and has potential to be a good backup or maybe more.

McElhinney's upside is what he did last year.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Not ideal but I'd do 13-7-3 next year. With all the Marlies d-men not needing to clear waivers (except Holl I think) we can afford to shuffle some guys around and go with 7 dmen instead of 8. McBackup can be the 3rd goalie with spot starts spending most of his days sitting in the pressbox or backing up Sparks some nights so that Andersen doesn't even need to dress. He's actually played quite well coming in cold before so I wouldn't be too worried about throwing him in there after a long layoff if somebody gets hurt or if Sparks struggles.

Hyman Tavares Marner
Marleau Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
Ennis Lindholm Brown
Leivo

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaistev
Dermott Carrick
Marlie

Andersen
Sparks
McBackup

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'd like to try Picard as the backup, thus, leaving Sparks and McElhinney as trade fodder.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
McBackup just has a career year he likely won’t repeat - thank him for his service and then move on, hopefully get something in a trade.

I’d go with Sparks, though Picard would be fine too. Ultimately the Leafs need a goalie (preferably a younger one) who can take some of Anderson’s workload during the regular season

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs really have to discover if Sparks is an NHL goalie. I gotta believe Sparks gets his chance with the Leafs.
But please, no silly talk about having to make a trade cause you will lose the other goalie(s) on waivers. Hardly any player is ever claimed on waivers, mostly because the player has to remain in the NHL.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Trade McBackup after his career year for a draft pick. Promote Sparks to the back up role and let Pickard lead the Marlies to another Calder cup and see where they're at come next season.

Sparks reminds me a bit of Reimer. I think he could develop into a low-end starter.

Last edited:

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Maybe more likely mac clear waiver then Sparks. Let sparks have a chance with this team, his only chance was when we sucked and he was just a sacrificial lamb who had to be in net to, essentially, lose more then he wins.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Curtis McEhlhinney will either be traded or back as the backup of the team.

If McElhinney is returning, one of Sparks or Pickard will be traded, and the other one exposed to waivers.

If McEhlhinney is traded, it’s simply a battle of Sparks and Pickard. One will be with the NHL team and the othen exposed to waivers

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I think McElhinney will be the backup to start the season. If Andersen gets off to a slow October like in previous years, I think Babcock will want that veteran calming presence with McElhinney. If by Christmas McElhinney isn't playing well as a backup, then maybe we see Sparks come up to the big club as the backup.

Reactions: iSophagus

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It's probably close in enough ways (contract, waivers) to let training camp decide things, and I can't imagine the goalie market being that we'd lose more than one of them for free, if even one. Perhaps a slight edge to McElhinney though right now just because he's been the go-to for that backup spot.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
trade both mack and sparks. they are at a high in value at the moment, maybe mack makes it through waivers but no way pickard and sparks do. to be fair I wouldn't be against keeping sparks and sell in pickard but you have to get something out of them. not lose them for nothing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad