Speculation: How do you handle Toronto's goalie situation?

Which tendem would you like to see next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Nadda, that's McBackup. Sparks has a cool .893 sv% and a 37.5 win% at the NHL level.

Of course those NHL numbers are from more than 2 years ago. McBackup's numbers from that same season are worse than Sparks' (who played 1 fewer game) were - despite Sparks playing on the worst team in the NHL.

But, it wouldn't make any sense to have Sparks as the backup after posting bad pre-season numbers. They haven't chosen a backup with numbers that bad since McElhinney a year ago (when his numbers were much worse that Sparks has ever put up).

Reactions: indigobuffalo

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
McBackup is the correct answer.
giphy.gif

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Of course those NHL numbers are from more than 2 years ago. McBackup's numbers from that same season are worse than Sparks' (who played 1 fewer game) were - despite Sparks playing on the worst team in the NHL.

But, it wouldn't make any sense to have Sparks as the backup after posting bad pre-season numbers. They haven't chosen a backup with numbers that bad since McElhinney a year ago (when his numbers were much worse that Sparks has ever put up).

But then McBackup went out and played absolutely phenominal at the NHL level. Proving he can play at the NHL level. And he's ours.

Sparks?

Not so much.

Great AHL goalie...had a shot to prove he was something more and choked. That's not our fault. That's all on him.

Even his third period he said he played great last night, he still chucked the puck up the middle and gave it away twice.

Nope.

Sparks is not the answer right now.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Why is Andersen-Sparks leading the poll? Do Leaf fans here not know how to judge goalies? :)
McBackup is the best short-term backup but Picard deserves the long-term look for down the road. In an either/or situation, I'd drop Sparks and keep Picard. Between Pickard and McBackup, I'd give Pickard a bunch of starts and let him have some consistency (of games). Then go by that. Like other fans have said, Pickard showed in Colorado he can play and that was a pretty bad team then. Sparks continues to fail and he is only getting by on a good AHL team but he won't be able to cut it in the NHL - not now and maybe he won't be able to, period. The Leafs would be crazy to once again tire out Andersen with 60+ starts plus playoffs.

The thread was posted before preseason.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Regardless how "pro-Sparks" fans view him compared to MacBackup, Mac remains and still is the best option for the Leafs this season.

God forbid Freddy ever goes down for a period of time, we need someone who won't crumble or look like a fish out of water or someone unable to find or fight for pucks through traffic, etc. which are glaring issues that need addressed now or you let them go.

Babcock has seen enough.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
But then McBackup went out and played absolutely phenominal at the NHL level. Proving he can play at the NHL level. And he's ours.

Sparks?

Not so much.

Great AHL goalie...had a shot to prove he was something more and choked. That's not our fault. That's all on him.

Even his third period he said he played great last night, he still chucked the puck up the middle and gave it away twice.

Nope.

Sparks is not the answer right now.

Right. So McBackup completely sucked in 2015-16 but the Leafs gave him a chance and he played well. Then McBackup completely sucked in the 2017 preseason, but the Leafs gave him a chance and he played really well. So poor performance in 2015-16 and a poor performance in the preseason doesn't meant the Leafs will not give that goalie a chance - they have done so and were rewarded for doing so.

But now because Sparks sucked in 2015-16 (but not as much as McBackup did). and because Sparks has now sucked this preseason (but not as much as McBackup did last preseason) the Leafs shouldn't give him a chance.

I think that the Leafs will take McBackup. I am betting chances are pretty good he returns to the mean and sucks badly this season. I don't think that the Leafs will take Sparks. I am betting that he is picked up on waivers, returns to level he showed last season, while adjusting for higher competition at the NHL level, and has a better season than McBackup.

I don't really care either way.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Right. So McBackup completely sucked in 2015-16 but the Leafs gave him a chance and he played well. Then McBackup completely sucked in the 2017 preseason, but the Leafs gave him a chance and he played really well. So poor performance in 2015-16 and a poor performance in the preseason doesn't meant the Leafs will not give that goalie a chance - they have done so and were rewarded for doing so.

But now because Sparks sucked in 2015-16 (but not as much as McBackup did). and because Sparks has now sucked this preseason (but not as much as McBackup did last preseason) the Leafs shouldn't give him a chance.

I think that the Leafs will take McBackup. I am betting chances are pretty good he returns to the mean and sucks badly this season. I don't think that the Leafs will take Sparks. I am betting that he is picked up on waivers, returns to level he showed last season, while adjusting for higher competition at the NHL level, and has a better season than McBackup.

Different situation. At the time we grabbed mcbackup both our backup options sucked bad. As in you couldnt get worse.

So we took a chance on mcbackup for free essentially.

Right now we have options. A good option in mcbackup. Who just put up insane numbers last year.

We dont need to take a chance on sparks for a backup roll when we already have mcbackup.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Let’s consult the NHL/NHLPA collective bargaining agreement to work through what this scenario might look like. The relevant section on waivers can be found on page 71:

13.2 The “Playing Season Waiver Period” shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club’s Playing Season. Subject to the provisions of this Article, the rights to the services of a Player may be Loaned to a club of another league, upon fulfillment of the following conditions, except when elsewhere expressly prohibited:

(a) Regular Waivers were requested and cleared during the Playing Season Waiver Period; and

(b) the Player has not played in ten (10) or more NHL Games cumulative since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared, and more than thirty (30) days cumulative on an NHL roster have not passed since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared.

What this tells us is that McElhinney could play as many as nine games for the Leafs after clearing waivers without having to pass through them again while being moved back and forth from the AHL. The cumulative days on an NHL roster isn’t as much of a concern in this case since the team’s affiliate is based a couple kilometres away in the same city.

As a result, McElhinney could theoretically practise and play with the Marlies to stay sharp and then be called up the same day the Leafs want or need him to make a start. Sparks would serve as Frederik Andersen’s backup in the interim.

It would buy more time for management and the coaching staff to make an evaluation on Sparks at the NHL level. That seems like a sensible approach given the 25-year-old’s track record. It’s certainly more sensible than making any firm conclusions after watching him allow eight goals on 48 shots in his last 90 minutes 50 seconds of pre-season play.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
McBackup 100% had this year's job after his season last year. It would be crazy not to put him back in. He overperformed like crazy.

This preseason Sparks was on display for Trade Bait and he didn't do well.

As @Cor said, Sparks gets some games if McBackup goes 0-5. Otherwise Babcock loves his vets and will support them.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
After the AHL season that Sparks had he deserved an opportunity, to get a look, and earn that backup position. I think he was given that opportunity, and frankly he blew it. Life may not be fair at times, but this was his test to pass, and see if he could steal the job. He was terrible, no question about it. I would expect him to clear waivers, play for the Marlies, and if there is an injury, he might get another chance... at which point he better play lights out. At the start of the poll, I would have said Sparks, due the age, and likely being a better option LT, if he could be an equal, or better to McBackup. But, Sparks hasn't seized that opportunity.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Its really a shame that none of our so called Leaf reporters asked Sparkie after game if he knew before game started he was playing 3 periods for a certain few scouts. We have some of the worst media types here in Toronto. F*ck are they bad. Their sources are worse than bad. They are totally non-existant.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

Sparks at the NHL level in 2018 is showing the same tendencies he did 3 years ago. He plays too erratic in the crease and he has always had a bad habit of falling to his belly and exposing the upper half of the net. He cant get away with that with the skill level in the NHL. Players are too patient and will just wait him out, as we've seen from his last two games. You want your goalie to stay upright and square to the puck at all times.

Reactions: saltming

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I do wonder who will replace Mac, clearly it's not Sparks, we know that, he's proven that, but Mac is going to be 36, he will nedd to be replaced soon

I will be interested to see if it's Pickard or someone else

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Why is the goalie talk a two horse race? What about Pickard?

Seems he’s had the better preseason, has a larger body of work in the NHL, including the play on Team NA at the WHC.

Pickard has always seemed like a bonafide starter and Sparks is a bit of a long shot.

If you forget that Sparks has that shutout in his debut... is he really all that special?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Seems he’s had the better preseason, has a larger body of work in the NHL, including the play on Team NA at the WHC.

Pickard has always seemed like a bonafide starter and Sparks is a bit of a long shot.

If you forget that Sparks has that shutout in his debut... is he really all that special?

No that shutout aside he sucked

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

I think it's Sparks' AHL resume that has folks thinking he's earned a shot.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
Review the last 35 years of AHL goalie of the year awards. Only 7 or so developed into a legit NHL starter. So if we believe Sparks will not likely become an NHL starter one day then we are truly debating who is the best backup. For my money, that's Mcbackup hands down. I feel for Sparks but that's the way the cookie crumbles. If the Leafs were still building then perhaps it may have been different. Wins this year from a backup goalie matter if you want the best possible playoff position.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
There is no debate. Why are you guys still talking about it? McBackup and Pickard - let them play it out and see who is the better performer. Winner becomes Andersen's 'official' backup. That's it. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

SoCal Leafs

Jul 1, 2018
So Cal
Going into camp I was really hoping the Sparks would have a great camp and outplay Mac for the back-up role. But his struggles in the preseason and the tank year (true it is a very small sample size in preseason and he wasn't given the best opportunity to succeed during the tank) suggest to me that he may not have the necessary mental strength and make-up to thrive as an NHL goalie, something that both Mac and Pickard have proven they can do. In the long-term view and in terms of asset management it would suck to lose Sparks (or Pickard) to waivers but I think Mac is the best option we have now, with my preference for Pickard, if unclaimed, in case of injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad