Line Combos: How do they all fit now?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
But that’s not what you will see. Just like you will at some time see csw reunited. Or Ehlers on the 1st pp.
I think Ehlers and Schief are better separate as Ehlers tries to do too much on his own.
I mean, that's a fun theory, but the results say the exact opposite is true.

For two plus seasons now...
  • Scheifele has been buried when he doesn't play with Ehlers.
  • They have dominated when they play together.
  • Ehlers scores more when he pays with Scheifele.
  • Scheifele scores more when he plays with Ehlers.
  • The line handily out scores the opposition too.
Fancy stats aside, since the start of 2018-19...
The Jets have been outscored 102-91 in all of Scheifele's 5 on 5 minutes away from Ehlers. That's 1970 minutes of hockey.

The Jets have outscored the opposition 40-27 when Scheifele and Ehlers play together. They've spend 692 5 on 5 minutes together.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
At this point, I really want to see...

Copp - Scheifele - Ehlers
Connor - PLD - Appleton
Harkins - Stastny - Wheeler
Perreault - Lowry - Lewis

Copp - Scheifele - Ehlers was great tonight.

I don't want to see Connor and Wheeler together or watch them drag Dubois down, Appleton looks good and plays a better defensive game than Wheeler.

Wheeler gets to play with his buddy, Paul. Harkins gets to play with skill.

The 4th line might be better than the 3rd, and can still take tough matchups.

I like this and it's a heck of a lineup.

Reactions: boydkc and truck

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I absolutely hate you lines.

PLD on the wing makes zero sense to me. He's been a better 5 on 5 centre than Scheifele. Playing him on the wing nullifies the biggest benefit of the trade (centre depth), and forces Mo to stick with the Wheeler / Connor combo that Stastny won't be able to carry.

Have you been watching the way the minutes are dispersed? You're telling me that you hate having a power line, conceivably the best line in hockey? I hate your lines because like a lot of people here you refuse to recognize how effective Lowry is as a centre.

Reactions: DiggerD

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Have you been watching the way the minutes are dispersed? You're telling me that you hate having a power line, conceivably the best line in hockey? I hate your lines because like a lot of people here you refuse to recognize how effective Lowry is as a centre.
I put Lowry at 4C because he is a very effective center - not as a slight. Center depth is important.

PLD has been a more effective 5 on 5 center than Scheifele over the last couple years, and he's been quite a bit better than Stastny.

I don't understand why anyone would want to play him on the wing.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I put Lowry at 4C because he is a very effective center - not as a slight. Center depth is important.

PLD has been a more effective 5 on 5 center than Scheifele over the last couple years, and he's been quite a bit better than Stastny.

I don't understand why anyone would want to play him on the wing.

You could play Scheifele on the wing? Either way I want top minutes for him, right, those 17 ES minutes that Copp got. I appreciate the 4 line theory, but I'm not convinced this team is better with Lowry playing less, the analytics don't support it. Appleton and Harkins get more minutes and Lowry gets less, that's not how I see it happening.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Yep kc needs someone with speed to play with. He’s playing with 2 dinos out there. I’d go
Kc pld stas
Copp schief ehlers
Apple Lowry wheeler
Lewis. Harkins. Perrault

This is what I would do if Wheeler continues to tough time. I think PLD can carry one of KC or Wheeler but not both and KC has to play in the top 6.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
You could play Scheifele on the wing? Either way I want top minutes for him, right, those 17 ES minutes that Copp got. I appreciate the 4 line theory, but I'm not convinced this team is better with Lowry playing less, the analytics don't support it. Appleton and Harkins get more minutes and Lowry gets less, that's not how I see it happening.
The 4th Line played ~9 minutes at 5 on 5 last night. Lowry played 10. I'd like to see that sort of trend continue. Just roll four lines and make the opposition chace your matchups.

Lowry would be the lead dog on the PK, and could still face top lines without fear. Hard matching can come later, but they need fresh legs in this weird slog of a season.

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
The 4th Line played ~9 minutes at 5 on 5 last night. Lowry played 10. I'd like to see that sort of trend continue. Just roll four lines and make the opposition chace your matchups.

Lowry would be the lead dog on the PK, and could still face top lines without fear. Hard matching can come later, but they need fresh legs in this weird slog of a season.
Lowry had just under 12 minutes (11:48) of 5-on-5 last night, 1 minute of PP and 4 minutes of PK, for just under 17 total minutes. The 4th line had 9 minutes of 5-on-5. That was Maurice's best effort at balancing minutes. Realistically, there is 50 min of even strength time in a game, Sheifele's line is going to get 17, PLD's line will likely pull 15-16, a Stastny 3rd line will likely get 12......that leaves maybe 6 minutes for the 4th line.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
9 55 27
81 13 26
85 17 22
12 25 23

1a and 1b equal minutes; 3a and 3b equal minutes

44 14
24 4
64 2

Roll the D.

I like your ideas. Stastny is probably the one player you have to be concerned about with load management, though I fathom he is still a conditioning freak.

To get both Heinola and Stanley in the lineup we're going to have to waive at least 2 of Beaulieu, Poolman, Thompson and Niku. Or Forsberg again, at the risk of not having 4 goalies on our roster. As it stands one is going to have to be waived if we want to keep Stanley in the starting lineup.

I'd like to see more Morrissey-Heinola, but it's going to take injuries for that to happen. It may be more of a long term goal,. I'd be a lot more comfortable with a David Savard in that spot, if we can battle with the troops we have.

To pull a Beaulieu/Poolman out of the lineup, we're going to need someone to step into those PK minutes. And significant a contribution from one of Morrissey or Pionk, which is already happening. Still hard to read Stanley in this aspect with limited reps (I think only 2 appearances). Maurice must see things in practice to be hesitant with him.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
No one complained when Lowry was doing better in 2017-18 than he is now and was playing a 4C role (after Stastny trade and Scheifele returned healthy) and Jets were a top 3 team in the league for it.

EtU2W7_VcAMwus5

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Lowry had just under 12 minutes (11:48) of 5-on-5 last night, 1 minute of PP and 4 minutes of PK, for just under 17 total minutes. The 4th line had 9 minutes of 5-on-5. That was Maurice's best effort at balancing minutes. Realistically, there is 50 min of even strength time in a game, Sheifele's line is going to get 17, PLD's line will likely pull 15-16, a Stastny 3rd line will likely get 12......that leaves maybe 6 minutes for the 4th line.
He played 10:00 at 5 on 5, he played an additional 1:42 before 4 on 4 and 6 on 5, which the NHL classes as Even Strength.

Numbers per Natural Stat Trick.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I’d say keep these pairs and fill in the blanks.

Xxx-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-PLD-xxx
Xxx-Statsny-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-xxx

Reactions: jetsforever

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Copp-Scheif-Ehlers
Connor-PLD-Appleton
Perrault-Lowry-Wheeler
Harkins-Stats-Lewis

A few games of this lineup would get everyone sorted and Wheeler back to his old self...

Reactions: Tanembaria

jetsnblues

Jan 23, 2021
I thought this thread was about forwards. I know this doesn't have a hope of happening, but I'd probably go with something like this on the back end...

Forbort - Pionk
Heinola - DeMelo
Morrissey - Poolman / Stanley

Pionk out-performed Morrissey last year, and Forbort - Pionk got top pair minutes last night. They've been steady. I expect Mo to roll with them for a bit and I'm okay with that.

DeMelo is the perfect partner to break in Heinola. He plays a calm, steady game. If it is up to me, I'm trying to get Ville some games. He's the Jets only shot at a top pair difference maker.

Morrissey already looks physically beaten down. He was struggling to climb over the boards after multiple shifts on Monday and his went head first into the goal post last night. Some softer minutes may help him recover.
jumping ahead what will the defence look like next season, we have some of them on the last year of their contract, the future seems to be Heinola, Stanley, Samberg, Niku (?) I don't like the idea of all 4 very young D all at the same time but if we don't give them a chance do they say " if i can't play nhl here i want to move on" i understand we have control because of not UFA,s but then you have unhappy sulking players, Poolman is UFA i believe so i assume gone but do we resign Pionk with a flat cap and Stas,Perrault, Lowry, Copp, LB all expiring contracts?

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
At this point, I really want to see...

Copp - Scheifele - Ehlers
Connor - PLD - Appleton
Harkins - Stastny - Wheeler
Perreault - Lowry - Lewis

Copp - Scheifele - Ehlers was great tonight.

I don't want to see Connor and Wheeler together or watch them drag Dubois down, Appleton looks good and plays a better defensive game than Wheeler.

Wheeler gets to play with his buddy, Paul. Harkins gets to play with skill.

The 4th line might be better than the 3rd, and can still take tough matchups.

That's a pretty filthy lineup 1-4. I guess the biggest issue is Lowry's minutes will get cut significantly on the fourth.

Reactions: truck

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
now that wheeler and scheif have finally been split, i can see the argument for running 4 strong C's. not confident they are kept apart though.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
There is a big difference between what we could / should do and what will happen.
Lowry's play this year and the fact that he needs to be re-signed this off season throws a monkey wrench in the plans of a 4 line attack.

Traditionally Wheeler with Lowry could have been a really good thing.
Until Wheeler shows otherwise we should avoid matching him against top lines if we can. But he also is going to be kept in a prominent position.

Stastny is the guy they are most likely to not re-sign (I could be wrong) so he seems the most likely to displaced either to the wing or down the line up.
I'm guessing Maurice is more likely to make small changes to the lineup with PLD before trying to reconfigure us to a true 4 line team.

Copp and Lowry have a lot of history together so I could see them being reunited. But I also see them wanting to keep Copp happy (opportunity wise) related to re-signing him.

My guess is barring injuries we see this to start...

Stastny - Scheifele - Ehlers
Connor - PLD - Wheeler
Copp - Lowry - Appleton
Perreault - ? - ?

If Thompson is back I don't know where he ranks among our players.
I would guess that Harkins is in one of those two spots and that Lewis, Thompson, Vesalainen & Gustafsson fight for the other spot.

MP can play RW if need be and 4 of the 5 other guys can play center or wing.

The option B to this is for Copp and Stastny to switch places.
Nice problems to have.
I'm sure injuries will creep in sooner then later.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
jumping ahead what will the defence look like next season, we have some of them on the last year of their contract, the future seems to be Heinola, Stanley, Samberg, Niku (?) I don't like the idea of all 4 very young D all at the same time but if we don't give them a chance do they say " if i can't play nhl here i want to move on" i understand we have control because of not UFA,s but then you have unhappy sulking players, Poolman is UFA i believe so i assume gone but do we resign Pionk with a flat cap and Stas,Perrault, Lowry, Copp, LB all expiring contracts?

Avs a much better team than the Jets while running with a top 4 D that's:
19-22
22-22

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Copper PLD Ehlers and play them against the other teams best line.

MP Lowry Apples and play them against the other teams 2nd best line.

KC Scheif Wheeler but try to keep them away from the other team's top line and preferably top two lines.

Two of Harkins KV Gus to play with Stastny.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I absolutely hate you lines.

PLD on the wing makes zero sense to me. He's been a better 5 on 5 centre than Scheifele. Playing him on the wing nullifies the biggest benefit of the trade (centre depth), and forces Mo to stick with the Wheeler / Connor combo that Stastny won't be able to carry.

The elephant in the room.

We have enough LW's. There is no need to use PLD there, or Stastny either.
Last year we were light 1 top 6 C. With PLD we have added 2. That is not just centre depth, it is surplus.
With both Laine and Roslovic gone, we are short at RW.
You say it yourself, "he's been a better 5 on 5 centre than Scheifele".

Connor - PLD - Scheifele
Copp - Stastny - Ehlers
Perreault - Lowry - Wheeler
Harkins - Lewis - Appleton

That is not a long term arrangement. Next year Stastny is gone and Scheif is back at C. We need to find a RW for next year. That is a very strong group of C's and you have plenty of good C's playing wings so that you can accommodate injuries or switch guys around when someone goes cold.

If we are going to put a C on a wing, Scheifele makes more sense there than PLD does. He is a right shot. If he can be as good as he is playing C, how much better might he be offensively if he is freed from the responsibilities of playing C? But who wants to be the one to tell him that he is going to play RW?

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the Jets have a chance to do something special with their forwards this year. Four plus centers and enough wing talent to do all sorts of fun things.

Their is enough depth at forward to make up for some of the challenges on the back end. I just hope they can actualize it.

Up to Mau.

Reactions: HighFlyingJets

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I mean, that's a fun theory, but the results say the exact opposite is true.

For two plus seasons now...
  • Scheifele has been buried when he doesn't play with Ehlers.
  • They have dominated when they play together.
  • Ehlers scores more when he pays with Scheifele.
  • Scheifele scores more when he plays with Ehlers.
  • The line handily out scores the opposition too.
Fancy stats aside, since the start of 2018-19...
The Jets have been outscored 102-91 in all of Scheifele's 5 on 5 minutes away from Ehlers. That's 1970 minutes of hockey.

The Jets have outscored the opposition 40-27 when Scheifele and Ehlers play together. They've spend 692 5 on 5 minutes together.

Two of the best lines of Jets 2.0 IMO have been 1. Ehlers - Scheifele - Laine and 2. Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Not a coincidence

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad