Line Combos: How do they all fit now?

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
I've looked for a line combos thread, and searched through a few threads to find stuff and haven't seen it. So why not try and figure it out in a new one?

With the acquisition of PLD, we have quite a few forward options. How do you guys envision it playing out?

I don't think using Stastny on the wing is going to work, so here's what I've been pondering:

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Vesalainen - Dubois - Ehlers
Copp - Lowry -Appleton
Perreault/Harkins - Stastny - Lewis

Totally acknowledging this is probably all wrong, but we suddenly have a wealth of C depth and I just don't know what to do with it.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I said this in the Copp thread, but I'll throw it in here too.

Perreault - Dubois - Ehlers
Copp - Stastny - Appleton
Harkins - Lowry - Lewis

OR

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Connor - Dubois - Perreault
Harkins - Lowry - Lewis

OR

Copp - Scheifele - Wheeler
Connor - Dubois - Ehlers
Perreault - Stastny - Appleton
Harkins - Lowry - Lewis

OR

Connor - Dubois - Ehlers
Harkins - Stastny - Appleton
Perreault - Lowry - Lewis

The wingers are largely interchangeable. The only defensive liabilities in that lineup are on the top line and beyond Lewis and Lowry, I think they all have some offensive upside.

Embrace the depth at centre.

Moving one of PLD / Stastny to the wing erases one of the big benefits from the trade.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Now that Jets traded for a center to get the covoted depth at that critical position.

Should be like this

Schiefele
Dubois
Stastny (or vice versa with dubois)
Lowry

Wingers can interchange.

But looks like they will put Stastny at wing.

Reactions: Mbraunm

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I still think we need to "power up" 3 lines. Playing 4 may seem like a good plan, but I think you need to give enough minutes to your top 9 forwards:
PLD Scheif. Wheels
Ehlers. Stastny. Connor
Copp. Lowry. Perreault
Harkins. Gus. Lewis

Classic16

Sep 4, 2016
If the top 2 lines should get even time.
Stastny schief ehlers
Connor Pld wheeler
Copp Lowry Appleton
Perreault Gust lewis

How maurice is probably going to run
Connor Scheif wheeler
Stastny Pld Ehlers
Copp Lowry Appleton
Perrault Gust Lewis

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I've looked for a line combos thread, and searched through a few threads to find stuff and haven't seen it. So why not try and figure it out in a new one?

With the acquisition of PLD, we have quite a few forward options. How do you guys envision it playing out?

I don't think using Stastny on the wing is going to work, so here's what I've been pondering:

Copp - Lowry -Appleton

Totally acknowledging this is probably all wrong, but we suddenly have a wealth of C depth and I just don't know what to do with it.

:huh: Pretty sure this thread (last post is from yesterday) counts: Line Combos: - Jets Projected line up next season :laugh:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Harkins - Lowry - Lewis

OR

Harkins - Lowry - Lewis

OR

Connor - Dubois - Ehlers
Harkins - Lowry - Lewis

OR

Connor - Dubois - Ehlers

The wingers are largely interchangeable. The only defensive liabilities in that lineup are on the top line and beyond Lewis and Lowry, I think they all have some offensive upside.

Moving one of PLD / Stastny to the wing erases one of the big benefits from the trade.

I guess you're assuming Maurice keeps SW together but I also like the full-offence line of Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers.
I definitely agree on keeping PLD and Stastny both as centres - otherwise trading Laine was a waste.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think maybe injecting Stastny into that top line isnt a bad play and moving Copp back with Lowry and Perreault to the 4th.

Stastny - Scheif - Wheels
Connor - Dubois - Ehlers
Copp - Lowry - Apples

Or we keep Copp and Connor where they are and drop Stastny down with Lowry. I just think Copp has earned a longer look with Ehlers. They seem to have some chemistry.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg

Copp - Lowry -Appleton

I like the idea of keeping the big-3 C’s as C’s. If Maurice is determined to get Lowry some ice then toss him on the 1st digging pucks and creating space for “the disruptive duo.”

Lowry/Harkins - Scheifele - Wheeler
Copp - Stastny - Ehlers
Lewis - Harkins/Lowry - Appleton

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
I think maybe injecting Stastny into that top line isnt a bad play and moving Copp back with Lowry and Perreault to the 4th.

Connor - Dubois - Ehlers
Copp - Lowry - Apples

Or we keep Copp and Connor where they are and drop Stastny down with Lowry. I just think Copp has earned a longer look with Ehlers. They seem to have some chemistry.

Copp and Ehlers are working so well together, Stastny is doing a great job of centering a line, and Lowry is working well without Copp. I can't help but feel that these moves would neutralize all three of these advantages and reduce our depth...

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Harkins - Lowry - Lewis

OR

Harkins - Lowry - Lewis

OR

Connor - Dubois - Ehlers
Harkins - Lowry - Lewis

OR

Connor - Dubois - Ehlers

:laugh: Lots of options/possibilities.

I like your 4th one best, I think. Keeps Ehlers at RW, puts finisher Connor with playmaker Dubois, keeps Copp in the top 6 rather than Perreault. Copp improves the D play on the Scheifele line.

With that configuration though, the PLD line is clearly line 1. I would swap Ehlers and Wheeler.

Moving one of PLD/Stastny to the wing doesn't really erase the big benefit. We still have that C depth available and that benefit really applies more in future years than it does this year. The C depth was already there for this year. We also have the option of playing Copp at C or Gus at 4C. Scheifele - PLD - Lowry - Gus is very strong down the middle.

Copp - Scheifele - Ehlers
Connor - Dubois - Wheeler

Copp - Dubois - Ehlers

Copp - Dubois - Ehlers
Stastny - Lowry - Appleton
Perreault - Harkins - Lewis

Copp - Scheifele - Ehlers
Connor - Dubois - Wheeler
Stastny - Lowry - Appleton
Harkins - Gustafsson - Lewis

The top 6 wingers are swapable, but I would keep KC and Ehlers apart to balance the lines somewhat. I didn't do any with Stastny at 4C, but that is another possibility.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Now that Jets traded for a center to get the covoted depth at that critical position.

Should be like this

Schiefele
Dubois
Stastny (or vice versa with dubois)
Lowry

Wingers can interchange.

But looks like they will put Stastny at wing.

Why do you say it looks like they will put Stastny at wing? Isn't it too soon to say what anything looks like?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Moving one of PLD/Stastny to the wing doesn't really erase the big benefit. We still have that C depth available and that benefit really applies more in future years than it does this year. The C depth was already there for this year. We also have the option of playing Copp at C or Gus at 4C. Scheifele - PLD - Lowry - Gus is very strong down the middle.
I'm very high on Gus, but...
  • He was terrible last year. He may be ready, but I'm not forcing him into the lineup over Perreault, Appleton or Harkins.
  • Mo won't give him more than 6-8 minutes a game.
  • I'd rather see him get big offensive minutes in the AHL.
  • The regular 4C would be Nate f***ing Thompson.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I guess you're assuming Maurice keeps SW together but I also like the full-offence line of Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers.
I definitely agree on keeping PLD and Stastny both as centres - otherwise trading Laine was a waste.

Playing either Stastny or PLD at LW should improve out top 6, so the trade is not a waste. Playing either Stastny or Lowry at 4C is more likely making the trade a waste. An upgrade at 4C? Big whoop. But the real value of this trade is not for this year. It is for next year and beyond when Stastny is no longer here, or is no longer that good.

I hope the value of this trade is in the top 6, not the bottom 6. For the short term, PLD is an upgrade on Stastny at 2C. Stastny is an upgrade on Copp at 2LW. That is if they decide to put Stats at LW. That strength down the middle with Scheifele, PLD, Stastny and Lowry looks very good too.

A big advantage is when/if we get a C injury. As long as it is only 1 at a time, we should be able to move ahead without missing a beat. Think of that play-in series against Flames without Scheifele. We go PLD, Stastny, Lowry, Gus, no problem.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
It's possible to construct a lineup with our roster where we feel like every single line deserves more minutes. That's not a bad thing; in fact it's the best possible way to do it. If we feel like there are "lesser" players playing within those lines getting 'more minutes than they deserve', then again... all the better for us! I think you WANT complimentary players contributing above their heads; that's what depth and using your line drivers is all about.

Moving C's to the wing just so they can play more and we can take minutes from worse players and give it to those lines... instead of using our C's (and line drivers) to lift up the games of our lesser players... would be a big mistake imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
For me it's

Dubois-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Stastny-Ehlers
Copp-Lowry-Appleton
Perreault-Harkins-Lewis

Not my first choice, but could work well.

I could see starting Dubois at LW, for just a few games, while he familiarizes himself with his new team and teammates. But even sticking with the rest of the above, I would soon swap PLD and Stastny. I would want PLD playing C very soon.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm very high on Gus, but...
  • He was terrible last year. He may be ready, but I'm not forcing him into the lineup over Perreault, Appleton or Harkins.
  • Mo won't give him more than 6-8 minutes a game.
  • I'd rather see him get big offensive minutes in the AHL.
  • The regular 4C would be Nate f***ing Thompson.

If that is the option, I'm not using Stats or PLD on a wing. But Harkins at 4C would be another possibility. And if we use one of them at wing, then Copp can play C also. That would not be my first choice and probably not Mau's either. He would reunite him with Lowry first.

Gus has been so-so in his 2 games so far, and him at 4C now is probably not the best development scheme for him - but he is an option, better than Thompson.

But going back to Thompson at 4C really would be minimizing the benefit of the trade.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Knowing Maurice, I’m fully expecting something like ....

Stastny - PLD - Ehlers
Copp - Lowry - Appleton

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Connor - Dubois - Ehlers
Copp - Lowry - Apples

There is something to be said for not making more changes than necessary, especially when the team has been playing well, and winning.

So plug PLD into 2C and then figure out what to do with Stastny that causes the least disruption. That would mean putting Stats at 4C. That would only be temporary though, 4-5 games while everybody adjusts. Then make an additional change or two, depending on what is working and what is not.

aside: It has been so nice these last few games to be able to enjoy, not just the final score, but also the way the team is playing instead of being frustrated even when we win. We haven't had much of that since '18. The wins have come in spite of the way they have played rather than because of it. We would be saved by goaltending, or 1 or 2 players having good games, etc.

Reactions: jhdfeidgebrjdfdiufu

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like the idea of keeping the big-3 C’s as C’s. If Maurice is determined to get Lowry some ice then toss him on the 1st digging pucks and creating space for “the disruptive duo.”

Lowry/Harkins - Scheifele - Wheeler
Copp - Stastny - Ehlers
Lewis - Harkins/Lowry - Appleton

Another different but potentially good lineup. Pretty much every one suggested so far is good. I like some a little more than others, but the margins are small. As long as Thompson doesn't end up back in the lineup, it is hard to make up a bad one. :laugh: I guess moving all of the C's to wing and half the wings to C would be a bad one. Or would it? :laugh:

Reactions: mazmin

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Copp and Ehlers are working so well together, Stastny is doing a great job of centering a line, and Lowry is working well without Copp. I can't help but feel that these moves would neutralize all three of these advantages and reduce our depth...

I honestly think this is at least partly a result of several players getting hot at the same time. All streaks end eventually and it will look very different when these end.

I think Copp might be for real at 2LW. He isn't going to maintain his current scoring pace (105 pts per 82 gm season) but I think he will continue to play well at that position. I would leave him with Ehlers, at least for the time being.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Knowing Maurice, I’m fully expecting something like ....

Stastny - PLD - Ehlers
Copp - Lowry - Appleton
Yep. This is what I expect to see, but with Thompson in place of Harkins.

It isn't a bad lineup, but in this scenario, Mo is sacrificing scoring depth and once again painting a 4th line that he'll only give 8 minutes a night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad