Line Combos: How do they all fit now?

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
The 4th Line played ~9 minutes at 5 on 5 last night. Lowry played 10. I'd like to see that sort of trend continue. Just roll four lines and make the opposition chace your matchups.

Lowry would be the lead dog on the PK, and could still face top lines without fear. Hard matching can come later, but they need fresh legs in this weird slog of a season.
It would challenge Mo’s brain to be constantly one step ahead of the other team in changing line combo’s...but maybe it’s finally something that we get to see..Until now he’s only done it really when forced by injuries and such, but it doesn’t mean that lightning couldn’t strike him and he could overcome his fear of throwing out line changes in the middle of a game.

Drafting a RH Sasquatch on D seems more likely..

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Under normal circumstances I'd be all be all about 4 even lines. I'm wondering if it's not such an advantage in a 56 game season?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
With the talent the Jets have, loading up 3 lines and running a 5 minute a night 4th line is justifiable. Last night the icetime was distributed as follows:

1st line: 19:27
2nd: 17:48
3rd: 16:16
4th: 5:33

That's pretty sustainable. We don't need to give the 4th line 10-11 minutes a night for the sake of giving them that iceimt. Rolling 3 lines is good enough for me. I would even suggest that under this scheme, the Jets dress 11 forwards and 7 D and rotate one of their top forwards (Scheif/Ehlers/PLD/Dubois) with extra shifts on the 4th line for matchup advantages.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
With the talent the Jets have, loading up 3 lines and running a 5 minute a night 4th line is justifiable. Last night the icetime was distributed as follows:

1st line: 19:27
2nd: 17:48
3rd: 16:16
4th: 5:33

That's pretty sustainable. We don't need to give the 4th line 10-11 minutes a night for the sake of giving them that iceimt. Rolling 3 lines is good enough for me. I would even suggest that under this scheme, the Jets dress 11 forwards and 7 D and rotate one of their top forwards (Scheif/Ehlers/PLD/Dubois) with extra shifts on the 4th line for matchup advantages.

I could see that, as long as no 1 line/player is getting over used. So it would depend on how the extra shifts on the 4th are distributed.

I know who PLD is but who is that Dubois guy? :laugh:

OTOH, the 4th line last night earned a couple of extra minutes.

Edit: With the addition of another top 6 F, we are already having trouble deciding which forward to drop into the PB. The 11 & 7 plan makes that decision even tougher. And which Dman draws in?

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Best fits - IMO:
Connor - Dubois - Scheifele
Copp - Stastny - Ehlers
Perreault - Lowry - Wheeler
Harkins - Lewis - Appleton

What Maurice is likely to do:
Stastny - Scheifele - Ehlers
Connor- Dubois - Wheeler
Copp - Lowry - Appleton
Harkins - Lewis - Perreault

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I still wouldn't touch Copp-Scheifele-Ehlers. I'd try this:

Copp-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-PLD-Wheeler
[Vesalainen/Harkins]-Stastny-Appleton
Perreault-Lowry-[Lewis/Gustafsson]

That doesn't really fit Maurice's Top 6/Bottom 6 style though.

What's I think is more likely is something like:

Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers
Dubois-Stastny-Wheeler
Copp-Lowry-Appleton
Perreault-Gustafsson-Lewis

And Thompson is probably back in for Gus as soon as he's healthy.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I still wouldn't touch Copp-Scheifele-Ehlers. I'd try this:

Copp-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-PLD-Wheeler
[Vesalainen/Harkins]-Stastny-Appleton
Perreault-Lowry-[Lewis/Gustafsson]

That doesn't really fit Maurice's Top 6/Bottom 6 style though.

What's I think is more likely is something like:

Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers
Dubois-Stastny-Wheeler
Copp-Lowry-Appleton
Perreault-Gustafsson-Lewis

And Thompson is probably back in for Gus as soon as he's healthy.

I don't think Mau will put Dubois on a wing.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I cannot see any scenario where our 1C's don't play Centre. It'll be 55-13 down the middle.

And I agree that the top line should not change. Big question is does Stastny move to 2RW or 3RW or does he move t 3C or 4C. I think we'll see this come Tuesday:

9 55 27
81 13 26
85 17 22
12 25 23

The Jets won't feel like they owe anything to Stastny. He'll move around to wherever there's a need. And right now, that's 4C.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
Copp Scheifele Ehlers
Connor Dubois Wheeler
Vesalainen Stastny Appleton
Perreault Lowry Lewis
Harkins

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
I'm quite enjoying that the biggest problem with our roster is getting everyone enough minutes.

The d core notwithstanding, our forward group hasn't been this strong since the 2017-2018 season, and this may be a tier above that one.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
How bout this for Dubois' first game back:

Copp Scheif. Ehlers
Connor. Stastny. Wheeler
Perreault. Lowry. Apples
Ves. Dubois. Lewis

Roll all 4 lines: 40 second shifts.

Reactions: The Big M

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I can see many of the lines mentioned here, working. I really like garrets pairs.

My biggest issue is trying to decide where Wheeler fits. He isn’t as fast or quick thinking as the younger guys in the top six (9?).

You just never know what clicks though. It’s best for the team if he can find some magic with someone 5x5 as it hasn’t really happened yet this year.

Im excited to see what we try and what works!

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I just hope they don't put Wheeler on his wing

"Hey PL, welcome to the team! Here's your boat anchor to drag around out there"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad