Line Combos: How do they all fit now?

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
In an interview PLD was asked ...
Any idea who you might play with?
he replied ... "They have so much talent up front, so much depth, wherever I am in the lineup, on the left or right or center, that it's going to be a good line.":thumbu:

Reactions: Howard Chuck

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Another request from the fancy stat guys.... Copp v Stats v Perrault this year - one of them will lose his spot in the top 9 and all are lefties...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just a quick to note that the Jets have a "Kyle Connor problem", when it comes to 5v5 play. I still can't entirely summarize why the ice is tilted so heavily into the Jets' zone when Connor is on the ice, but the data are pretty remarkable.

My simplistic analysis is that Connor is particularly bad at making plays in the D zone and at his blue line in generating clean zone exits and transition plays. To my eye, he fails again and again to make a good decision / play to move the puck out of his zone or in neutral zone transition. As a result, the Jets spend too much time in their own zone, leading to too many shots against and too few shots for.

Here are the early on-ice results, showing the Jets with and without Connor on the ice. Remarkably, when Connor is on the ice the Jets are 30% worse than NHL averages in expected goals against and 30% worse in expected goals for. That's remarkably bad.

Notably, without Connor on the ice the Jets are actually better than NHL average in xG for and against.

upload_2021-2-10_10-52-5.png

Interestingly, Scheifele is having a bounce-back season thus far in terms of his defense, while Connor struggles badly.

upload_2021-2-10_10-55-2.png

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Another request from the fancy stat guys.... Copp v Stats v Perrault this year - one of them will lose his spot in the top 9 and all are lefties...

I think you need to put your best D forward with Connor so.. Copp should be with him. I'd have that being line 2 tho... Maybe put Perreault or Harkins with 55 and 27.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think you need to put your best D forward with Connor so.. Copp should be with him. I'd have that being line 2 tho... Maybe put Perreault or Harkins with 55 and 27.
I’d keep Appleton as it seems like a Copp like player is the best fit and Appleton plays that game better than Harkins or Perrault. They don’t need a playdrivers they need a grinder a guy who will hustle get the puck and give it to Ehlers and go to the net.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Lowry and Apples are very good together. Scheif and Ehlers work well and have for years.

Copp would be perfect with Connor... They have chemistry there also.. but really...

It's all pointless until Thompson is back.. once he's back then it's on cuz he's the missing piece

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Lowry and Apples are very good together. Scheif and Ehlers work well and have for years.

Copp would be perfect with Connor... They have chemistry there also.. but really...

It's all pointless until Thompson is back.. once he's back then it's on cuz he's the missing piece
Lowry is just good. He’s good with Apple, Copp, stastny and Wheeler. Just a hard worker who plays a simple game and goes to the net.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I’d keep Appleton as it seems like a Copp like player is the best fit and Appleton plays that game better than Harkins or Perrault. They don’t need a playdrivers they need a grinder a guy who will hustle get the puck and give it to Ehlers and go to the net.
I’d love to put Connor with Ehlers and see if Ehlers can jumpstart his game.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Just a quick to note that the Jets have a "Kyle Connor problem", when it comes to 5v5 play. I still can't entirely summarize why the ice is tilted so heavily into the Jets' zone when Connor is on the ice, but the data are pretty remarkable.

My simplistic analysis is that Connor is particularly bad at making plays in the D zone and at his blue line in generating clean zone exits and transition plays. To my eye, he fails again and again to make a good decision / play to move the puck out of his zone or in neutral zone transition. As a result, the Jets spend too much time in their own zone, leading to too many shots against and too few shots for.

Here are the early on-ice results, showing the Jets with and without Connor on the ice. Remarkably, when Connor is on the ice the Jets are 30% worse than NHL averages in expected goals against and 30% worse in expected goals for. That's remarkably bad.

Notably, without Connor on the ice the Jets are actually better than NHL average in xG for and against.

View attachment 394762

Interestingly, Scheifele is having a bounce-back season thus far in terms of his defense, while Connor struggles badly.

View attachment 394764
I’m not a stats guy, but my eye test agrees with your points about both KC and Schief.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
As long as the fire Thompson into the sun they should be great. Dressing him to have Lowry, but most likely Stasney to the wing is a fireable offence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad