Line Combos: How do they all fit now?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I don't understand the logic of breaking up Copp-Stastny-Ehlers, a line that's among the best in the league at the moment, to make a different line that in the best case scenario would be as good. Keep what's working and try to build something separate that also works.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't understand the logic of breaking up Copp-Stastny-Ehlers, a line that's among the best in the league at the moment, to make a different line that in the best case scenario would be as good. Keep what's working and try to build something separate that also works.

I think most people are working on assumption that by the time PLD is ready to play they will have cooled off.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
That would be a little disappointing - just a little. But I agree, it looks like a Mau lineup, Copp and Lowry back together.

It does -
The move you would expect from Mo (to make room for PLD in the top 6) is to move a player down that can fit easily and allow his familiar shut down to exist. There are other ways he could do that but this one is all Mo.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think most people are working on assumption that by the time PLD is ready to play they will have cooled off.
There's no reason to break them up at this stage, but the coach should also understand that they are riding unsustainable shooting percentages.

Enjoy the puck luck, and build your best line up. If you think PLD is better than Stastny, you play him more.

Who on earth knows what Mo will do though.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Man, I don't remember that at all... if anything, I remember Little as our 4C sometimes - probably the same role stats should have now

It was very rare that Little played RW when all the Cs were healthy. You are remembering it right. Little mostly played with 2 of Armia, Perreault, Roslovic, and Copp.

image.png

Little played RW for one game to Ehlers and Stastny, but mostly played C. I cannot remember who played C between him and Copp though. As a centre after the Stastny trade he played (excluding games where Scheifele was out):
4 games with the most EV TOI (as a line)
6 games with 2nd most EV TOI
7 games with 3rd most EV TOI
2 games with 4th most EV TOI

Now Lowry was out for some of those games, but when Lowry came back he was almost always 4C, with 2 games as 3C and 1 game as 2C.

So, when Maurice had Scheifele, Stastny, Little, and Lowry as Cs, Maurice mostly played them how most in this thread are hoping he currently does.

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Playing either Stastny or PLD at LW should improve out top 6, so the trade is not a waste. Playing either Stastny or Lowry at 4C is more likely making the trade a waste. An upgrade at 4C? Big whoop. But the real value of this trade is not for this year. It is for next year and beyond when Stastny is no longer here, or is no longer that good.

I hope the value of this trade is in the top 6, not the bottom 6. For the short term, PLD is an upgrade on Stastny at 2C. Stastny is an upgrade on Copp at 2LW. That is if they decide to put Stats at LW. That strength down the middle with Scheifele, PLD, Stastny and Lowry looks very good too.

A big advantage is when/if we get a C injury. As long as it is only 1 at a time, we should be able to move ahead without missing a beat. Think of that play-in series against Flames without Scheifele. We go PLD, Stastny, Lowry, Gus, no problem.

That's true about the value being in the future, but for now you have to compare Stastny at LW to Laine at LW, not Copp. Copp is just a stopgap while everyone's quarantining. Is Stastny-PLD-x really much better than Laine-Stastny-x?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Not my first choice, but could work well.

I could see starting Dubois at LW, for just a few games, while he familiarizes himself with his new team and teammates. But even sticking with the rest of the above, I would soon swap PLD and Stastny. I would want PLD playing C very soon.

Stastny is such a good centre, at seeing the ice, supporting the defense, and on the draw, I can't see him at any other position besides centre. I think he'd do well with two wingers who can flat out fly. With Dubois-Scheifele you have a hybrid, not unlike putting Draisaitl-Mc David together. I wouldn't care which one played centre, just having two players that could dominate would make a difference. There's a lot of options now, whichever way Maurice chooses to go. That's not something you could say for much of last year.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You definitely don't break up Copp-Stastny-Ehlers while they're running hot. Dubois is pretty adept at playing well with lesser linemates so he can start off with Perreault and Lowry. I like the look of that actually. Compositionally it reminds me of the old Panarin-Dubois-Anderson line from Dubois' rookie year.

Copp - Stastny - Ehlers
Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Perreault - Dubois - Lowry

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Lots of amazing line ups here. For me the question is what Maurice is going to do.

Dubois or stats will be on the wing long before lowery gets moved to the fourth line in a contract year. He has never been moved there previously with any Center acquisition we have made either. little and Hayes have went down before he has.

He has played very well so far this season and that’s even more reason that he won’t go down.

It’s very tricky now in particular. Copp has finally shown top 6 potential and is in a contract year as well. Someone is going to have to get the shaft and I pick Copp because he’s an rfa.

Connor sheif wheeler
Ehlers Dubois stats
Copp Lowry Appleton
Hawkins lewis Perrault

Reactions: Calcutta

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
It was very rare that Little played RW when all the Cs were healthy. You are remembering it right. Little mostly played with 2 of Armia, Perreault, Roslovic, and Copp.

image.png

Little played RW for one game to Ehlers and Stastny, but mostly played C. I cannot remember who played C between him and Copp though. As a centre after the Stastny trade he played (excluding games where Scheifele was out):
4 games with the most EV TOI (as a line)
6 games with 2nd most EV TOI
7 games with 3rd most EV TOI
2 games with 4th most EV TOI

Now Lowry was out for some of those games, but when Lowry came back he was almost always 4C, with 2 games as 3C and 1 game as 2C.

So, when Maurice had Scheifele, Stastny, Little, and Lowry as Cs, Maurice mostly played them how most in this thread are hoping he currently does.

i love when you do my homework for me

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Lots of amazing line ups here. For me the question is what Maurice is going to do.

Dubois or stats will be on the wing long before lowery gets moved to the fourth line in a contract year. He has never been moved there previously with any Center acquisition we have made either. little and Hayes have went down before he has.

He has played very well so far this season and that’s even more reason that he won’t go down.

It’s very tricky now in particular. Copp has finally shown top 6 potential and is in a contract year as well. Someone is going to have to get the shaft and I pick Copp because he’s an rfa.

Connor sheif wheeler
Ehlers Dubois stats
Copp Lowry Appleton
Hawkins lewis Perrault
But Copp has proven himself better and Lowry can be replaced by Gustafson in a year or two.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
But Copp has proven himself better and Lowry can be replaced by Gustafson in a year or two.

I don’t think Lowry can. He’s a force out there. No way gus plays half of intense IMO.

I always get chewed for this type of thinking but if Lowry signs long term he will then be moved to the fourth line imo

Right now they are trying anything they can to make sure he stays

Gumbyman2

Sep 12, 2018
Ehlers/ PLD/Stasny for line 2.

that’s what has to happen, Copp is doing good now but we all know it’s not going to keep. He’s not all of the sudden just an amazing player. A few tap in goals doesn’t make him Crosby for Christ sakes lol. Relax

Hey government. How's 25 minute a night Scheifele & Wheeler doing after tonight's game?
They are the leadership?? Another 2nd rate, 4th line calibre effort by them.
What the heck is happening? They deserve some 4th line role, 6 minutes per night games if this keeps up.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
OK, all hot streaks over. No more need to worry about busting up what is working. :laugh:

Connor - PLD - Perreault
Copp - Stastny - Ehlers
Harkins - Scheifele - Wheeler
Vesalainen - Lowry - Lewis

Morrissey - DeMelo
Forbort - Pionk
Heinola - Beaulieu

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
OK, all hot streaks over. No more need to worry about busting up what is working. :laugh:

Connor - PLD - Perreault
Copp - Stastny - Ehlers
Harkins - Scheifele - Wheeler
Vesalainen - Lowry - Lewis

Morrissey - DeMelo
Forbort - Pionk
Heinola - Beaulieu

Jeez man, Adam Lowry could be leading our team in points by the time we are done with Calgary. Still no love.

The one thing I'd consider is that Gustafsson has been less than stellar as a 4th line pivot, he and Ves should get ready for some AHL development hockey. But with the struggles we're having on defense maybe rotate 7 d-men, including Heinola and Stanley, and just leave the 4th line centre available for guys who deserve it. Lowry and Copp for instance, double shifting.

Because frankly I want to see more Lowry. And Appleton has been considerably better than Harkins or Vesalainen to start, kills penalties too. And he just scored tonight:laugh:

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
Hey government. How's 25 minute a night Scheifele & Wheeler doing after tonight's game?
They are the leadership?? Another 2nd rate, 4th line calibre effort by them.
What the heck is happening? They deserve some 4th line role, 6 minutes per night games if this keeps up.
Huh? What does that have to do with where PLD starts? I never once said anything about the 1st line.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's true about the value being in the future, but for now you have to compare Stastny at LW to Laine at LW, not Copp. Copp is just a stopgap while everyone's quarantining. Is Stastny-PLD-x really much better than Laine-Stastny-x?

Hard to say until we see PLD. But that is still not quite the right question.

We have 1 top 6 F out and 1 top 6 F in. Can we put together a top 12 now that is better than the top 12 we could put together before? We may not be able to put together a single line that is better than Ehlers - Stastny - Laine would have been. But we may be able to put together a top 12 that is better than we could make before.

I think the key will be making the most out of the top 6 with the 1-2 punch of Scheifele and PLD down the middle. That may require some rethinking of lines and roles.

Which will be a better combination, Stastny - PLD - Ehlers, or Copp - PLD - Ehlers? I can't be certain but I think Copp will be better there. Copp is a little bigger, a little more physical, a little faster. I think he is better at digging the puck out of the corners and forechecking. I think he will do more to make the others better.

So we still have Stastny to use somewhere.

Meanwhile, Copp - PLD - Ehlers should possibly be the #1 line. Or maybe the lines should be:
Copp - Scheifele - Ehlers
Connor - PLD - Wheeler

Reactions: jetsforever

bloodygoalie

Feb 8, 2013
Winnipeg
Lowry scheifele wheeler
Copp statsny eehlers
Connor DuBois Harkins
Perreault lewis Gustavson

That would be my pick for a lineup, 4th line could also have a mix of ves and Appleton, etc.

The whole idea of the trade was to have great centers, seems strange to then put Stastny, who they are paying a good chunk of money to, on the wing.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Stastny is such a good centre, at seeing the ice, supporting the defense, and on the draw, I can't see him at any other position besides centre. I think he'd do well with two wingers who can flat out fly. With Dubois-Scheifele you have a hybrid, not unlike putting Draisaitl-Mc David together. I wouldn't care which one played centre, just having two players that could dominate would make a difference. There's a lot of options now, whichever way Maurice chooses to go. That's not something you could say for much of last year.

Yes, certainly a lot of options. I don't disagree about Stastny at C, but I think we also need PLD at C. So they don't play on the same line. That bumps Stastny down to the bottom 6.

Does he make for a better 3rd line with the way Lowry has been playing? It would be different, but not necessarily better.

It seems a waste to put either of them on the 4th line. So do we go Lowry - Stastny - Appleton? Another option. This lineup does not make itself. :laugh:

Classic16

Sep 4, 2016
Ehlers schief wheeler
Ehlers should be on the top line and the other 2 wont get broken up.

Connor pld stastny
Connors def liabilities are more sheltered with these 2.

Copp Lowry appleton
Nice shut down line that can continue to score.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jeez man, Adam Lowry could be leading our team in points by the time we are done with Calgary. Still no love.

The one thing I'd consider is that Gustafsson has been less than stellar as a 4th line pivot, he and Ves should get ready for some AHL development hockey. But with the struggles we're having on defense maybe rotate 7 d-men, including Heinola and Stanley, and just leave the 4th line centre available for guys who deserve it. Lowry and Copp for instance, double shifting.

Because frankly I want to see more Lowry. And Appleton has been considerably better than Harkins or Vesalainen to start, kills penalties too. And he just scored tonight:laugh:

You didn't even comment on who I had pushing Lowry down to the 4th line? :laugh: Maybe I should have put that guy there. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad