Line Combos: How do they all fit now?

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
I honestly think this is at least partly a result of several players getting hot at the same time. All streaks end eventually and it will look very different when these end.

I think Copp might be for real at 2LW. He isn't going to maintain his current scoring pace (105 pts per 82 gm season) but I think he will continue to play well at that position. I would leave him with Ehlers, at least for the time being.

I agree on the streak, and yet... I also agree that Copp is for real. I really think that what Copp and Ehlers are doing is sustainable and not altogether new, nor just the result of 'soft matchups'. They had great numbers together last year as well, and both have proven success tilting the ice VS top matchups in the past.

The only thing I see as being suboptimal in the long-run (not just based on short term results) is the top line's GA and high TOI, so any tinkering should be to address that while ideally making minimal changes elsewhere, and keeping our center depth strong.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yep. This is what I expect to see, but with Thompson in place of Harkins.

It isn't a bad lineup, but in this scenario, Mo is sacrificing scoring depth and once again painting a 4th line that he'll only give 8 minutes a night.

I really hope he doesn't go so far as inserting Thompson. :laugh:

It might take Chevy removing that possibility by waiving Thompson as soon as he is off IR.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Perreault-Scheifele-Wheeler
Copp-Stastny-Ehlers
Connor-PLD-Harkins
Lewis-Lowry-Appleton

I feel like PLD & Connor would do some damage together. Perreault is playing very well and can be good with 55 & 26; keep Stastny's line together....they are tearing it up and it would be seriously silly to stop that. Time will tell though, could be a different feel once PLD gets here

Reactions: Finnflash

Thadtheimpaler

Sep 30, 2014
I would hate to mess with our 2nd line until Copp starts slowing down.
Conner/Scheifele/Wheeler
Copp/Stastny/Ehlers
Lowry/PLD/Appleton/(Perfetti ) give Cole a few games with a couple of big boys
Perreault/Lewis/Vesalainen

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
CSW
Copp-PLD-Ehlers
Perrault-Lowry-Appleton
Harkins-Statsny-Lewis

Might switch up Lewis and Apples - but this is the only lineup that makes sense and is a best case scenario for Mo approach

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
Ehlers/ PLD/Stasny for line 2.

that’s what has to happen, Copp is doing good now but we all know it’s not going to keep. He’s not all of the sudden just an amazing player. A few tap in goals doesn’t make him Crosby for Christ sakes lol. Relax

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

that’s what has to happen, Copp is doing good now but we all know it’s not going to keep. He’s not all of the sudden just an amazing player. A few tap in goals doesn’t make him Crosby for Christ sakes lol. Relax

Copp is a line driver with excellent defense and his metrics with Ehlers last year were also fantastic. Nothing to do with banging in a few goals; he helps that line by making it better.

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
Copp is a line driver with excellent defense and his metrics with Ehlers last year were also fantastic. Nothing to do with banging in a few goals; he helps that line by making it better.
So you think Copp is better than PLD? We didn’t trade our Top sniper for a 3rd line centre. He goes into the 2nd line and we build around him. Anything else would be pretty dumb.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
So you think Copp is better than PLD? We didn’t trade our Top sniper for a 3rd line centre. He goes into the 2nd line and we build around him. Anything else would be pretty dumb.

I definitely don't think that. I agree that PLD should be in the top 6. I was mostly responding to how you were characterizing Copp.

I'd prefer to see Stastny given the opportunity to anchor an effective third line. I think using him at wing is wasting a quality center.

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
I definitely don't think that. I agree that PLD should be in the top 6. I was mostly responding to how you were characterizing Copp.

I'd prefer to see Stastny given the opportunity to anchor an effective third line. I think using him at wing is wasting a quality center.

Copp is what he is. A Good player on a hot streak. He’s not some amazing talent that just popped up.

whether is Stats or Copp on the Second, we can’t have any of them on the 4th. So someone is playing wing, Lowry, Copp or Stats. One of them.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

He's not going to keep scoring at his current pace (4 points per hour, double the avg 1st liner)... but he's legit one of the Jets top players.

This is value Jets have garnered on players since they've got knocked out of the playoffs in 2018:

Screen-Shot-2021-01-30-at-12-21-58-PM.png

Imperfect stat and this doesn't account for ice time, but this shows that Copp has been legit a strong performer in his minutes.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Copp is what he is. A Good player on a hot streak. He’s not some amazing talent that just popped up.

whether is Stats or Copp on the Second, we can’t have any of them on the 4th. So someone is playing wing, Lowry, Copp or Stats. One of them.

Not concerned at all about his scoring streak; more interested in the fact that he helps his line to play very good and sustainable hockey.

And I think Copp should stay on wing with Ehlers and Stastny and Lowry should be the other two centers after Schief and PLD. Just IMO.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
I still think we need to "power up" 3 lines. Playing 4 may seem like a good plan, but I think you need to give enough minutes to your top 9 forwards:
PLD Scheif. Wheels
Ehlers. Stastny. Connor
Copp. Lowry. Perreault
Harkins. Gus. Lewis

one of the reasons the jets were one of the two best teams in the league at the end of the 2017-2018 season was they ran scheifele/stastny/little/lowry at c

maurice really needs to drop the usage rate of the top line

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
He's not going to keep scoring at his current pace (4 points per hour, double the avg 1st liner)... but he's legit one of the Jets top players.

This is value Jets have garnered on players since they've got knocked out of the playoffs in 2018:

Screen-Shot-2021-01-30-at-12-21-58-PM.png

Imperfect stat and this doesn't account for ice time, but this shows that Copp has been legit a strong performer in his minutes.
And to top it off, Copper has scored at a pace of about 2 points per 60 away from Lowry - these are legit top 6, fringe first line scoring rates.

I don't know that he'll sustain it, but I'd give him a shot if I had a say.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
one of the reasons the jets were one of the two best teams in the league at the end of the 2017-2018 season was they ran scheifele/stastny/little/lowry at c

Little was moved to 3rd line RW

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014

Little moved to rw when Stastny showed up.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I think the only things etched in stone to me are:

x / Scheifele / Wheeler
x / x / Ehlers
x / Lowry / Appleton
x / x / x

Fairly certain Lewis has earned a spot on L4, either at C or RW. The lack of right shots on the team has someone else playing their weak side & with the addition of Dubois pushing someone down the depth chart I'd guess that person is Perreault, particularly since he can no longer take regular face-offs and also because Lewis is rather good at that, creating:

x / Scheifele / Wheeler
x / x / Ehlers
x / Lowry / Appleton
x / Lewis / Perreault

Harkins doesn't pass Stastny, Connor, Dubois or Copp on the depth chart.

x / Scheifele / Wheeler
x / x / Ehlers
x / Lowry / Appleton
Harkins / Lewis / Perreault

So this really comes down to where Connor (LW1 or LW 2), Copp (LW1, LW2, LW3), Stastny (LW1, LW2, C2) & Dubois (LW1, LW2, C2) are placed. From here on in I'm not so sure, but I think that's a good thing. Lineup flexibility is a great thing to have.

Regardless of whether Wheeler is in decline, he still has elite vision. The best shooter of that last group is Connor. Regardless of Copp's strong play, there's a strong history of great play with Lowry.

This may be as simple as who plays centre, Dubois or Stastny

Connor / Scheifele / Wheeler
(Stastny,Dubois) / (Dubois,Stastny / Ehlers)
Copp / Lowry / Appleton
Harkins / Lewis / Perreault

Last edited:

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Perreault-Scheifele-Wheeler
Copp-Stastny-Ehlers
Connor-PLD-Harkins
Lewis-Lowry-Appleton

I feel like PLD & Connor would do some damage together. Perreault is playing very well and can be good with 55 & 26; keep Stastny's line together....they are tearing it up and it would be seriously silly to stop that. Time will tell though, could be a different feel once PLD gets here
This is my favourite lineup.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The more I think about it the more I think that adding Stats or Copp to the top line might be the best move.

Copp - Scheif - Wheel
Connor - Dubois - Ehlers
Stats - Lowry - Appleton
Perreault - Gus - Harkins

Or

Stats - Scheif - Wheels
Connor - Dubois - Ehlers
Copp - Lowry - Appleton
Perreault - Gus - Harkins

Would be the routes I'd go. Copp and or Stats should help the 1st line overcome their matchups a bit better and both can play well on the cycle which is what Scheif and Wheeler like to do.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Not for the entire time. We played quite a few games in the playoffs with Scheif/Stats/Little/Lowry down the middle.
Man, I don't remember that at all... if anything, I remember Little as our 4C sometimes - probably the same role stats should have now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad