How do Professional Referees still keep falling plays like this (Pietrangelo embellishment)...and why cant all penalties be challenged?

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Okay sorry, their media is spending an intermission segment crying for reviews of a mediocre non-call AND it's brought here as a premise for the thesis that a rule needs to be changed
Had it changed the outcome of a game sure, but it really was a nothing play in the grand scheme of the game

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
I don't mind coach being able to challenge anything.

As long as,

-The challenge is issued right away, not after 2 fake line change and let me talk to you for 2 minutes while my minions upstairs disect the play

-You get two minutes for delay of games for wrong challenges then the double for additional ones

-You lose a timeout when you lose a challenge.

-You have no timeout left, you can't challenge anymore.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Challenging calls seems like a waste of time. Are they really going to correct themselves? Even in situations where...'they just wanted to get something on that team early'?

Refs aren't incompetent. They are just doing what the league wants them to do.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I don't mind coach being able to challenge anything.

As long as,

-The challenge is issued right away, not after 2 fake line change and let me talk to you for 2 minutes while my minions upstairs disect the play

-You get two minutes for delay of games for wrong challenges then the double for additional ones

-You lose a timeout when you lose a challenge.

-You have no timeout left, you can't challenge anymore.

You get a penalty AND lose a timeout? Man, yer a hard ass lol

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The NFL is able to review plays and correct calls in under 10 seconds. It’s rare to need a full blown review. The NHL should learn from them.
lol @ 10 seconds, I’ve seen 5+ minutes before, just like NHL sometimes.
I’ve seen them go to commercials, come back and still reviewing in the NFL.

Reactions: Tryamw
Dec 15, 2002
The NHL doesn't seem to fine players for diving anymore.
Just in March:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
lol are we watching the same video?

The stick started on Pietrangelo's biceps/forearm...rode up as far high as the nipples and certainly didnt go higher than collarbone. head snap back was hugely unnecessary.

Like i said tho, i dont blame players for doing it since Refs continue to fall for it.
If by snap you mean flinch, sure.
If you’ve played at a competitive level, then I guess you wouldn’t realize it’s a natural reaction when a stick comes up high.
Especially if you’ve had multiple stitches in the face from them, like a lot of us have had.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
I have never understood this stupid stance by the NHL. Either it IS a penalty, or it IS embellishing. It cannot be both, and coaches should be able to challenge it to have it reviewed.

It can be both, I can trip you then you can go the extra soccer miles for everyone to know about it.

The way I would fix this is embellishments should get you 4 minutes and a 10 misconduct.

What trouble me more is the goaltending interference where the goal is denied but no infraction was committed. That is absolutely nonsensical.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Just in March:

OK that's on me.

I thought they were 5k ?

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
What would be the point of challenging this? So they can change the call from a 2 minute minor for high sticking to a 2 minute minor for cross checking?

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Simple fix. If you actually get hit with a high stick, just throw your stick at the ref so they know.

This play doesn't look like embellishment, though.

Reactions: WhataKnight

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Just in March:

This.

1) The OP example wasn’t embellishment to begin with. Pretty natural movement for a guy who has an opponents stick coming chest high.

2) Outside that embellishments suck. Maybe this is in play, I don’t know — but first case you get a fine after the fact as you’ve shown above. Second instance within a number of games, a suspension of 1 game. One game for every instance after that. Would nip embellishment in the bud. Don’t think players (PA) would care. Most hate that some players do this.

dre2112

Jul 17, 2007
US and A
I thought we were going to see a Tim Stutzle type dive, instead all I see is a player slightly moving his head back out of the way from a stick that was riding up his chest and toward his neck/chin.

Reactions: WhataKnight

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
I don’t really see that as embellishing, to me he was just moving his head away from potential contact and the ref took it as he was high sticked. These plays should be reviewable though

His head does snap back but the stick is pretty close to coming up, he then proceeds to push the stick away and continue play without holding his face at all.

100% a reffing issue and 0% an embellishment issue

Alright, watched the OP’s clip twice.

I agree that embellishment needs to be pushed down, though this isn’t the play that works as an example.

Petro leans back, sure. However, in this case, his arms are engaging the player the entire time - there’s a head-jerk back, but for this to be embellishment, I’m looking for sticks being dropped, hands over the face…..actions with the arms employed to make a ref or linesman look over and see the other guy’s stick up while the “diver” is imitating the shock of just getting darted in the face.

This instance looks more like how kangaroos spar.

Reactions: Three On Zero

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
I didn't have a problem with this call. I think it was dumb of Z to have his stick there.

I have more issue with the matching minors to Mantha and Podkolzin. Martha took 3 successive shots to Podz outside the play including a crosscheck up high and then podkolzin grazed Mantha's shinpad with his stick. Absurd that both players were penalized.

Canucks need to get over the reffing - it has never not been bad.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
That was a natural reaction. Even if the stick misses completely, and swings by the face you are going to see reactions like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad