How do Professional Referees still keep falling plays like this (Pietrangelo embellishment)...and why cant all penalties be challenged?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I honestly dont blame players for continuing to embellish, much like Piterangelo did last night with a head snap back. Why should players stop when referees continuously still fall for it. Lol Zadorov gets 2 minutes for "high sticking"... LMAO referees have on ice view of these plays, literally 10 feet away.

When will the NHL change the rules so that coaches can challenge any penalty call. Failed challenge puts them down to 5 on 3. Win Win for the NHL, the call is correct and it leads to more goals, or it gets over-turned and the call gets fixed. win-win.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I don’t really see that as embellishing, to me he was just moving his head away from potential contact and the ref took it as he was high sticked. These plays should be reviewable though

His head does snap back but the stick is pretty close to coming up, he then proceeds to push the stick away and continue play without holding his face at all.

100% a reffing issue and 0% an embellishment issue

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I feel like sometimes you see the refs gather in situations like this. I've seen refs gather after a player was hit by their own, or their teammates sticks when initially a "high stick" was called, then it gets overturned.

That said, absolutely hate the idea of challenging penalties. We're opening an entire can of worms with that.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I don't consider that to be embellishment. If a stick gets pushed against my upper chest and starts riding up, I'm going to automatically throw my head back to try and avoid it. I'm not going to wait and see if it actually happens.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
When folks decide that ordinary games should be 14 hours long.

Coaches arent going to challenge EVERY penalty call because there the consequence of being down 5 on 3. They will challenge outrageously wrong calls like this.

Its 2024, how long do you think it will take a for a referee to see video and realize he made the wrong call... 30 seconds?

Not sure where you are getting the "14 hour long games"

In what world is this even embellishment?

His head snapped back when he got hit in the chest. Its textbook embellishment.

Ref fell for it and called 2 min high sticking.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Isn't this something that they were looking at changing for next year? Challenging high sticking minors to see if it in fact was high sticking?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It's a fast game. Much faster than you think it by looking at it from your TV. Or from the upper deck of the arena.

This is what it looks like in a top tier soccer game. Imagine what it looks like in hockey, much less the NHL.

I'm not saying you shouldn't criticize refs, but I think it should be about the way they officiate games. Not because of single missed calls.

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
Coaches arent going to challenge EVERY penalty call because there the consequence of being down 5 on 3. They will challenge outrageously wrong calls like this.

Its 2024, how long do you think it will take a for a referee to see video and realize he made the wrong call... 30 seconds?

Not sure where you are getting the "14 hour long games"

His head snapped back when he got hit in the chest. Its textbook embellishment.

Ref fell for it and called 2 min high sticking.
Is there another angle of it somewhere? Seemed like he reacted to a stick coming up in the clip you posted. It didn’t make contact but was close and I’m pretty sure 99 percent of players would try to dodge a stick headed for there face. Sucks that it was called but that’s on the ref.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The NHL doesn't seem to fine players for diving anymore.

The sad sport of soccer is the most popular in the world. (Or is it 2nd to cricket? ) Everyone dives a ridiculous amount and roll around like a bitch, so the NHL is likely hoping the diving people see in Soccer will draw them to hockey.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is there another angle of it somewhere? Seemed like he reacted to a stick coming up in the clip you posted. It didn’t make contact but was close and I’m pretty sure 99 percent of players would try to dodge a stick headed for there face. Sucks that it was called but that’s on the ref.
Anyone around kids does the same thing when they start swinging shit towards your chest and up too. Seems like a natural reaction to me.

Granted should not have been a penalty, but that's a different story

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
1. I loathe when fans or anyone claim "their team" is targeted for calls like its some league wide or personal ref conspiracy. I do think "in game" management happens but its not team specific.

2. that stick is pretty damn high up around his neck

3. What are we doing here?

lol are we watching the same video?

The stick started on Pietrangelo's biceps/forearm...rode up as far high as the nipples and certainly didnt go higher than collarbone. head snap back was hugely unnecessary.

Like i said tho, i dont blame players for doing it since Refs continue to fall for it.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Plus, if call are going to be reviewable, then non-calls should be reviewable too.
I want the refs who call the penalties to be the ones who announce the outcome. “Upon further review, I am blind and that stick didn’t touch his head, we have no penalty on the play”

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad