How do Professional Referees still keep falling plays like this (Pietrangelo embellishment)...and why cant all penalties be challenged?

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
That wasn’t a cross check or interference. If the refs didn’t suspect head contact (high sticking) there would not have been a call - just like the commentators suggested.
The point I was making is they aren’t going to just admit they’re wrong, it’s a cross check motion and they’d call it that if challenged as it doesn’t hit his face

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
One thing I've learned from this thread is that throwing your head back is a flinch now. I hope the Canucks do it every game and maximize calls in their favour.

It's hilarious that Rick Tocchet and other hockey analysts think it's snapping their head back but nobody on HFboards does.

I don't think I've ever extended my chin backwards like I'm trying to limbo to avoid a high stick playing hockey before. I just learned I've been flinching wrong my whole life.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
When it comes to slow motion, you can make anything look bad.

How about play it in real time and see how bad it actually looks.

And i say no to reviewing penalties. There are enough coaches challenges already. Don't need to add another stoppage to the game while the refs gather around and watch a replay on a ipad to see if someones stick actually made contact with the face.

And you say how do professional referees keep on falling for this? Well it is the same reason why linesman sometimes miss offsides. Hockey is an extremely fast game and referees are only human.
I understand the slight discomfort with the current review system while spectating, but it was implemented for a legit reason. NHL Refs generally can't get over 98% of the calls right during play. I've had one of my teams lose a series with an clear offsides goal (prior to reviews).

I mean, just look at how many goals are called back due to offsides per game now. Its probably over 0.5 goals/game on the season. If you think reviewing the play to get the right call is bad, just wait until your team is cheated right out the playoffs. Its tough to come back to the NHL the following season after something like that happens. Like you said, its a fast game....but sometimes you need to slow it down to get it right.

Getting the call right is never a bad thing, but we all understand how the dunderheaded NHL can poorly execute on the very best of intentions. DOPS basically hired a crash test dummy to regulate automobile safety. There is probably 1000 ways the review system could be improved.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
lol are we watching the same video?

The stick started on Pietrangelo's biceps/forearm...rode up as far high as the nipples and certainly didnt go higher than collarbone. head snap back was hugely unnecessary.

Like i said tho, i dont blame players for doing it since Refs continue to fall for it.

Skärmbild 2024-04-04 164520.png

You're watching a slowmotion replay. What happens in realtime is all within half a second, with the opposing player's stick coming up at face level right before impact.

If one of your friends pretends to throw something at you as a joke, and you flinch, would you call that 'hugely unnecessary' and emballishment?

Reactions: RRhoads

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I have never understood this stupid stance by the NHL. Either it IS a penalty, or it IS embellishing. It cannot be both, and coaches should be able to challenge it to have it reviewed.
It absolutely can be both. You high stick me.

That's a penalty called high sticking.

I overreact to the high stick and exaggerate it's effects.

That's a penalty called embellishment.

Where is the problem?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Ever see those videos where they turn the sound of but put wrong subtitles at the bottom. As you read the words and look at the lips of the people talking you absolutely become convinced that's what they are actually saying, when they aren't.

This is what happens with almost every local broadcast. Announcers (and even print reporters on twitter) whine about calls that are borderline and act like like it's the most egregious mistake. They show replays 5 times, each time the commentator getting more incredulous.

Everyone watching at home (partly because they want it to be a horrible play by the bad opponent and nefariousness by the corrupt refs) then convinces themselves that their team has been done a great injustice.

For those of you say under 30, I swear things weren't always like this.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
It absolutely can be both. You high stick me.

That's a penalty called high sticking.

I overreact to the high stick and exaggerate it's effects.

That's a penalty called embellishment.

Where is the problem?
So what player was harmed/impeded/fouled/etc by the reaction to the painful stick to the head? Is the expectation this and to just keep your eye on the stick into your face?

ayudante-santa.gif

No one is in the position to judge the severity of a reaction. Even so, what makes that reaction's impact to the game = to original penalty? At worst, it could be a 1min.

If I hit my stick off your shoulder and then you throw your head back faking a high stick, then you ALONE should go to the box. This PK risk is enough to get the desired effect from the game. What is the risk in embellishing everything if the worst that can happen is 5v5 and we both go? You are still going to fool enough dumb refs with great acting. If you earn an embellishment PK for your team, coachy-no-likey, you ride benchy.

Embellishment rule is dumb because it is unequal and doesn't really police what it was intended to do.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
View attachment 845891

You're watching a slowmotion replay. What happens in realtime is all within half a second, with the opposing player's stick coming up at face level right before impact.

If one of your friends pretends to throw something at you as a joke, and you flinch, would you call that 'hugely unnecessary' and emballishment?
The law is two for flinching.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Remember, this is the same player that two-hand tomahawk slashed Draisaitl in the playoffs last year.

He's a pathetic little bitch.
He's a two time Cup winner. I credit McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse for all attacking him with their sticks earlier in the series, it shows the top players understand they have to try to dominate the other top players. It's just that Pietrangelo is their daddy, their faaaather, so he shipped that shit right back

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Back when hockey was tough, people didn't have "reflexes". People never flinched. Now these guys are like soccer players with the acting.

Did I do it right?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don’t really see that as embellishing, to me he was just moving his head away from potential contact and the ref took it as he was high sticked. These plays should be reviewable though

His head does snap back but the stick is pretty close to coming up, he then proceeds to push the stick away and continue play without holding his face at all.

100% a reffing issue and 0% an embellishment issue

Yep this one was pretty obvious. In general OP does have a point though.

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
The trouble with refs is they are human and nobody is perfect. We get the luxury of replays and slow motion replays that focus solely on the incident.

Plus it gives people something to complain about. So the refs not only officiate but also gives the nhl advertising for free. As you know complainers gotta complain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad