How 'bout we talk coaching candidates here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Great article on Dallas at the athletic. Would love to give this guy a shot here.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
That really is a great article

PaddyMcStackin

Goalier Than Thou
Apr 18, 2018
Always liked our speical teams (PK) when McLean was an Assistant. I thought it was odd when they mutaully parted ways. I'd be OK with him at the helm but I don't know if he is as adaptable as Eakins or some of the other candidates mentioned in The thread.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
A quote maybe showing the difference between RC and Eakins. Also not sure why RC didnt like schenn. As a #6 we all thought he added some much needed grit. Similar to Dotchin.

The most delicious part of the late-season Luke Schenn redemption arc is the revelation Randy Carlyle believed none of this could ever happen.
As the story goes, Carlyle essentially told Schenn, who is among the kindest, friendliest giants in the sport, that he should quit the sport.
When asked about it, Schenn didn’t name names but here’s what he said:
“I don’t want to get into too many of the details,” Schenn said. “But when I was leaving Anaheim, there were comments. I was asked if I really wanted to go down and actually play in the minors (as opposed to leaving professional hockey) at 29 years old.
“I was asked if that was the right decision for me.”
How did that make Schenn feel?
“Well, the first day I got there, Dallas Eakins told me to come sit down in his office. We talked for 45 minutes straight.
“I said, ‘Dallas, I’m going to try to do whatever it takes to help this team win.’
“His words were: ‘It would be great to keep you here all year but you come here and help us win, we’ll do whatever it takes to get you back into the NHL and the right situation.’
“I don’t think too many coaches would say that. He was unbelievable with me. He knew my situation and my family, and the commute I had.”
That commute was roughly 90 minutes from Newport Beach, Calif., to San Diego where the Ducks’ farm team played.
“Dallas would give me the odd morning off for rest so I didn’t have to get up at 6 a.m for a morning skate and make that drive.
“He did so many little things like that for me,” Schenn said.
“I always believed that I could get one more opportunity if I caught the right break.
“I never really lost faith.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Now I'm glad RC won't ever coach again. f***ing dinosaur. Was always so great when he'd bench guys for Randy reasons. Reminds me of Mr. Burns coaching the softball team and telling Don Mattingly to shave his sideburns and Mattingly saying, "WTF are you talking about?"

Really hope once the Gulls' season is over they announce Eakins as coach.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
If that's true, RC really seems to express that old-timey attitude of "if someone is doing something I dislike, I am going to improve the situation by being cruel at them for as long as it takes for them to fix their mistakes". Which I'm not the least bit surprised by, he seems exactly like the archetype of an "old school" hardass.

Disgusting. And downright sad because of what it says about him as a person.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Wow. If this is how RC treated players, it makes BM look like a bigger idiot for keeping him on for so long. RC better not be anywhere near the players if BM keeps him in the organization.

Last edited:

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Doesn't Luke fit into the type of dman that Randy likes to have in the lineup? I'm surprised he said to him. Good for Luke that he proved him wrong.

Seems like Eakins is a great motivator and people person. He also seems to have become very popular within the community in San Diego. He definitely deserves a chance in Anaheim.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
What an ass. Dude is not only a bad coach but it appears he is just a bad human. BM shit the bed when he re-hired his buddy and in the process pissed away a couple of seasons.

Not sure even his biggest fan can defend him now.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I hated RC as a coach and I'm so happy he is gone. Eakins is the best option for what the Ducks need in the next 5 years. Grow young players.

Having said that, I think this is being overblown. Asking a 29 year old if he is sure he wants to go to the AHL is different then telling him he is trash and doesnt have a chance of making it back to the NHL.

Now I never want to read about RC ever again :)

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Wow. If this is how RC treated players, it makes BM look like a bigger idiot for keeping him on for so long. RC better not be anywhere near the players if BM keeps him in the organization.
Seriously, how out of touch was Bob with the team and how they felt about Randy? And frankly, it really makes me think the idea that the players were on board with bringing Randy back was complete bullshit to try and justify bringing back a dinosaur of a coach back.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Seriously, how out of touch was Bob with the team and how they felt about Randy? And frankly, it really makes me think the idea that the players were on board with bringing Randy back was complete bull**** to try and justify bringing back a dinosaur of a coach back.

Nah that was true, Stephens even alluded to Getzlaf in particular being a strong voice during that campaign. Just cause you don't like Randy doesn't mean you gotta rewrite history.

Although I must say, the Schenn thing seems harsh. It is only one side and we're missing some context, but damn, probably not necessary. I definitely hope it was just RC and not Bob pushing him to say that.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Nah that was true, Stephens even alluded to Getzlaf in particular being a strong voice during that campaign. Just cause you don't like Randy doesn't mean you gotta rewrite history.

Although I must say, the Schenn thing seems harsh. It is only one side and we're missing some context, but damn, probably not necessary. I definitely hope it was just RC and not Bob pushing him to say that.

I also remember kesler being outwardly happy with the carlyle hire due to their past experience together in vancouvers ahl team and to be fair carlyle got kesler into amazing form before he got hurt. Bieksa and bernier also had experience with carlyle as a coach but im not sure how much influence they had due to being newcomers to the team

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

I just can't see how the leaders in this group who quit on him before (and did so again), would want a coach who is that shitty towards players, back. Randy has always seemed like a Bob move than a players move. I'm glad that kind of coach is no longer around our players.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I just can't see how the leaders in this group who quit on him before (and did so again), would want a coach who is that ****ty towards players, back. Randy has always seemed like a Bob move than a players move. I'm glad that kind of coach is no longer around our players.
But, they did. They said so at the time, Perry, Kesler, Cogs, Getz, and others unnamed. Getz also gave him a public warning about changing (or having changed) the way he interacts with players and RC said as much himself in his welcome-back press conference.

I don't really get why Schenn didn't stick, I thought he was fine. That really makes no sense to me especially given how many unready rookies we threw in there, and how badly some of our younger guys struggled under the workload and locker room situation. Pointless and stupid, especially if you handle a guy so badly that he needs a pep talk about his career.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I just can't see how the leaders in this group who quit on him before (and did so again), would want a coach who is that ****ty towards players, back. Randy has always seemed like a Bob move than a players move. I'm glad that kind of coach is no longer around our players.

Players sometime like a guy who's a dick to them. Babcock is probably as much of a dick(I've heard of a story where he says something much worse than this and for much less of a reason) and many guys love to play for him. Bruce being such a players coach probably had its affects on why guys wanted someone like Randy back as well, as much as it shouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad