How 'bout we talk coaching candidates here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I also remember kesler being outwardly happy with the carlyle hire due to their past experience together in vancouvers ahl team and to be fair carlyle got kesler into amazing form before he got hurt. Bieksa and bernier also had experience with carlyle as a coach but im not sure how much influence they had due to being newcomers to the team

Bernier was even acquired after the hiring, but yeah the rest of those guys plus Perry Cogs and Cam and they all seemed to be on board, plus some alumni. This should never be a reason to hire someone, although in this case especially it would make sense to check on that, but yeah the players under him had that experience were good.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Bernier was even acquired after the hiring, but yeah the rest of those guys plus Perry Cogs and Cam and they all seemed to be on board, plus some alumni. This should never be a reason to hire someone, although in this case especially it would make sense to check on that, but yeah the players under him had that experience were good.

Rakell and Silfverberg had the best seasons thus far in their career under Carlyle as well. His day has passed, but a lot of players have found success under Carlyle.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
The more I read about Rikard Gronborg, the more I want him as head coach. Already has relationships with Hampus, Rakell and Silf and puts an emphasis on player-coach development and developing a culture. Love that about him.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
The more I read about Rikard Gronborg, the more I want him as head coach. Already has relationships with Hampus, Rakell and Silf and puts an emphasis on player-coach development and developing a culture. Love that about him.

You just described Dallas Eakins, but with relationships with more players than just the Swedes.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
The difference is Gronborg has won at the Worlds and the Olympics (silver.) I feel like he's more accomplished than Eakins

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
The difference is Gronborg has won at the Worlds and the Olympics (silver.) I feel like he's more accomplished than Eakins

Comparing success with essentially an all star team vs the Oilers is a tad bit unfair. I'd say Eakins has been very successful in San Diego, whereas Gronborg has never coached pro hockey in North America.

Last edited:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I really will be fine with either. I think they both are going to be hugely successful.

Gronberg sounds so great, but everyone who has interacted with Eakins in his time San Diego has only said great things and his AHL pedigree is fantastic. Take away the 100ish games he coached in Edmonton and he would be the sexy candidate for every team's fanbase.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This would be the best case scenario, but I really doubt Gronborg wants to go to the AHL.
I would like this move best I think.... Eakins also has a lot of experience with the young players that will be playing the next few years on the roster. Might help him, and the players.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
With Columbus losing in the playoffs and probably in free agency does Torts leave? If this is the high water mark for the Blue Jackets, he may not want to stick around without Bob or Panarin. I wouldn’t mind seeing Tortorella behind the Ducks bench, but BM might be terrified of the prospect.

John

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
With Columbus losing in the playoffs and probably in free agency does Torts leave? If this is the high water mark for the Blue Jackets, he may not want to stick around without Bob or Panarin. I wouldn’t mind seeing Tortorella behind the Ducks bench, but BM might be terrified of the prospect.

John

no thanks

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

John

Torts has a contract for two more seasons so he can't just up and leave. I don't hate the idea of the Jackets moving on, maybe even trading him, but there's probably no way he isn't their coach next season.

I like Torts but I'm not sure what I would think about that. Players seem to love him and he's a lot more innovative than people give him credit for, but he's had some rough spells and this team underperformed for the longest time under him.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
With these stories coming from the athletic ect..... I gotta think Eakins has it in the bag but bob will do the process for optics

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
The Ducks need a coach that can get this team to effectively move the puck, be able to actual pass the puck and do more than cycle. We are one of the worst passing teams. I don’t see the Ducks having an elite scorer anytime soon. BM will not spend cap space on getting one. We will have to have 4 lines that can play two way hockey. If we win it will be by committee. I haven’t followed Eakins enough to know if he is a top 2 line coach, or a good 4 line coach.

We also need to turn around our D. I think we have enough talent to compete, but the D personnel has been so mis-managed.

But the one thing that is lacking as any sort of chemistry. I guess I look at Carolina, (even if they fail to get the cup and this season is one and done), and think... if we are healthy we better than they are. We need a coach that can instill some of that into the Ducks.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad